Reavis Ranch Trail is a 20 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tortilla Flat, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 20.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,749 feet Route Type: Out & Back

We did this hike as a 2 day overnighter the last day of October. It was really cold at night but the days were really nice. It was a challenging and enjoyable hike. There is an apple orchard at the old homestead however there weren’t any apples when we went. The leaves were starting to change color which was nice. Nice color to the hike. The natural spring has plenty of water for filtering. I made the mistake of wearing running shoes which I regretted. It’s a very rocky trail at times and the bottom of my feet hurt for days afterwards.

Cool trail with a lot of history. I went backpacking at reavis ranch in March 2019 and there was plenty of water in the creek and firewood around but it got below freezing overnight. It’s a loooong drive to the trailhead but it’s beautiful, especially when I went as the hills were all covered in wildflowers. The trail was pretty out of shape (I think due to fallen branches from the snow storm a couple weeks before) but still manageable and it’s hopefully better now. This is the closest place to the Phoenix area to go backpacking if you want something not deserty.

Thu May 30 2019

Such a beautiful, peaceful trail to hike. I love that it was so secluded..in about 4 hours on Memorial Monday I only saw 7 people. Highly recommend this trail.

Tue May 21 2019

We started 5/20 & got back 5/23. Awesome hike but far from easy, many inclines and often narrow and very rocky. The creek is running & was certainly worth the effort. We had unexpected rain in the AM of the last day and nice cloud cover on the way out. It was a pleasant surprise to have cool enough temps for this late in the year. Carrying enough water is tough but not optional.

Sat May 18 2019

Sat Mar 30 2019

Fri Mar 29 2019

Mon Mar 04 2019

Did this hike March 1-3rd. Road to trailhead in good shape, take a car with higher clearance than a standard sedan though. Parking area jam-packed by noon on Sunday so get there early. Trail in excellent condition from trailhead to Reavis Falls trail. Mostly snow covered and some fallen rocks to Windy Pass. Wet and muddy from Windy Pass to Frog Tanks trail. Trail in very poor condition with numerous fallen trees and lots of mud from Frog Tanks trail to Reavis ranch. Ranch area was very wet but some dry camping spots. Conditions slightly better on the way out. Thanks to the people who left all the trash we had to carry out. Really great of you.

Sat Mar 02 2019

Ditto Chris' report on trail conditions. I went in on Saturday 3-2 for a 1 nighter and got rain and wind to go with the existing mud and running water. Made for a slog-fest from the Frog Tanks intersection to the Ranch. Surprised by the number of downed trees! The sun came out and rain stopped in the late afternoon so I was treated to a dry camp along Reavis creek about a mile before the Ranch. Heading back to the TH on Sunday morning there was a little less running water on the trail but still several muddy spots and standing snow on the east side of Castle Dome but someone left a smiley face in the snow. Happy trails!

Sat Mar 02 2019

I completed this trail March 2nd and 3rd. The trail was muddy and slippery. The creek had a lot of water, and we were able to find a dry spot to pitch our tent. The road going to the trail is best driven in a vehicle with ground clearance, but we were able to make it in our Camaro. That being said we had to drive slowly, and lost traction a couple of times. There was a little bit of snow remaining, on the trail but it was melting. It was a fun hike, but there are long stretches without shade and I would not do this trail when it is to warm.

Fri Feb 08 2019

Lots of water in Reavis Creek. Horses have trampled the muddy trail but not bad to walk on. Very cold at night. Our water froze.

Sun Feb 03 2019

This was the longest backpacking trail I’ve done. We actually went up to circle stone the day after reaching Reavis. For me it was killer but that’s mostly because of the 40 lb pack I was hauling. Great trail with a lot of different scenery. Quite a few places to rest when needed.

Sun Jan 27 2019

Fantastic hike / backpacking with epic views. Water at the ranch as easy to filter and the oasis was amazing. most of the trail, past the Reavis Falls split is mostly flat, once the summit is reached. However, even the inclines aren't that difficult. Saw deer and other wildlife. Camped about 1/2 mile past the Reavis Falls split, great launching point to the Ranch. Set up camp and did a day/night hike to the Ranch. Ranch had great camp sites as well.

Sun Dec 16 2018

This hike is a good weekend get away, also there is water currently running at the ranch. Happy trails hiking community :)

Wed Nov 21 2018

Great trip. Took Rogers canyon trail- frog tanks trail- back down the 109 to the ranch! Frog tanks is severely overgrown and there is no water after Angel Basin. I started at Rogers Trough TH with around 4 1/2 liters of water and when I arrived at the ranch I had less than a liter left ! I got a little nervous as the trail was hard to follow at times , but I downloaded the ALL Trails topo map on my phone and it was a lifesaver . A LOT Harder on the Frog Tank trail that I had anticipated . I was solo and wouldn’t recommend this trail alone. Luckily I met a few guys on the trail and we hiked together for a few miles before they stopped to take a break .i went ahead , but never saw them again . Hopefully they made it out ok . I would recommend camping at Angel Basin 1 night , then attacking Frog Tank trail to the Ranch, camping a second night there, then heading out on the 109 to the Roger Trough TH to make this a more enjoyable trip. 14 miles on the first day kicked my butt!!

Tue Oct 23 2018

Beautiful trail! It was my first time backpacking, so definitely challenging for a newbie!!! Plenty of apples that’s for sure!! Make sure to bring a water filter to get water from the stream! Also definitely recommend having a map and compass

Sat Oct 20 2018

Great hike Lots of apples at the ranch

Mon Oct 08 2018

I hiked in and camped near the ranch. Wonderful hike, quite moderate and enjoyable. The apples were all over the place as of early October!

Mon Oct 08 2018

Plenty of apples this year (2018). I would try and make it up during October before they go bad.

Wed Mar 07 2018

At the trail head there is no Info on how long or where the trail is heading ! If I didn’t had a specific trail app on my phone I would not have found out anything at all. What a pity as it’s a wonderful place to hike with great scenery !!

Tue Feb 27 2018

I got lost on this trail. It was terrifying - my own fault

Thu Feb 22 2018

This was a great hike! Saw a lot of wildlife like deer, antelope and a blue jay. It was really convenient camping next to water at the end. I'll have to come back when it's not so cold.

Wed Jan 10 2018

I flew down just to do this Trail and then flew home and Just got back from a 4 day Pack-In in the Superstition Wilderness. Trail was good to Ranch, Trail To falls and Creek was abit difficult very rocky and Carins were in bad shape but I was able to fix them as I went along Creek is abit dry but there are some pools here and there to refill your bottles, Falls are just dripping. Take plenty of water REMEMBER you're in a desert. I ran into 2 Packers that were on there way out because they ran out of water and couldnt make it to the creek to refill ......TAKE PLENTY OF WATER!!

Mon Jan 08 2018

I started from the trail head at the end of the 212. the route on all trails shows the trail starting from the Apache trail. the road was in good condition. I saw cars making it up. Great views all around, the trail is very dry. during the night, we could hear small animals out side our tent, saw a skunk. the inclination is very steady all the way up to the saddle south of lime mountain.