Reavis Falls Trail

Reavis Falls Trail [CLOSED] is a 12.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Roosevelt, Arizona that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 12.9 miles Elevation Gain: 3,385 feet Route Type: Out & Back

was a great start but we ended up on another trail after passing what we'd later figure out was a split on the trail. it was hidden by the yellow wheat looking grass or straw stuff. we ended up 7 miles at a ranch which was fun but we wanted to reach the falls. we will try again next week!

13.6 miles round trip. The waterfall was probably about 1/3 of its max volume, but definitely worth it. First 3.5 miles easy, on a (mostly) smooth trail, with gorgeous views of canyons, mountains, and the river the whole way. The trail becomes rockier and steeper after the turnoff at 3.5 miles, but still not that strenuous. Be careful with the loose rocks and all the cacti reaching onto the trail! After arriving at the creek, there is a lot of boulder hopping and climbing, as well as following the cairns which provide the best route. The falls are impressive. It takes a LOT longer to traverse the 0.8 miles along the creek to the falls than I would have expected. The way back is more tiring, with all the boulder hopping again and the 2-mile incline. The last 4 miles back to the lot are easy and quick. Note: there was a LOT of trash along the way. I picked up a lot of plastic, snack bags, and 2 batteries that were in the creek. Be more thoughful!

This area of AZ is severely underrated. First couple miles is gravel and smooth on your feet. Gets progressively rockier. Amazing views throughout. Started early and was able to see a fox, some white tailed deer and a snake crossing the trail! Trail is straight forward until about the last half mile or so where you need to have route finding skills and must do some scrambling/several Creek crossings. Cairns are around to assist. I some how missed the cairn for the way back out of the creek, the app saved me from going further away from the trail! Very buggy throughout especially down in the creek/falls. Trail is mostly exposed to the sun. Recommend wearing pants as I'm covered from scratches/cuts as most of the trail is overgrown with the likes of cactus, pointy plants, etc. Looks like the falls are receding. went a week or 2 too late. Still great to see! Bring a least 3L H2O and some electrolytes!

Road to get to trailhead is primitive but doable. Sign in at the trailhead and start hiking. Bring 4 liters of water minimum - the Falls and creek are much farther than you are anticipating. Wear pants as you will be trekking through tall grasses and cacti. Lots and lots of up and down on the trail and no shade but amazing views! We hiked this one as a group of 5 on April 25-26. Not another human on the trail. After setting up camp (we picked the 2nd campsite by a Juniper tree we found on the trail - not a lot of flat ground out there so be aware if you have a larger group) we ventured down to the Falls. We clocked the mileage at 2.5 miles to the Falls - and bouldering to the actual Falls takes much, much longer than a standard trail. Water was flowing and we were able to filter and refill water bottles. There is also a great campsite on the side of the creek - the honeymoon suite for sure. Lots of flat ground and a great fire ring but it would definitely be harder to get to (and get out of) with 35# packs. Hiked back to our campsite in the dark but with headlamps - trails are not difficult to follow. Hiking out to the trailhead from our campsite was more on the easy/moderate scale. It’s down to falls and back out that marks this one as hard. Loved that it was remote and challenged us - add a gorgeous star-filled sky and great people and you’ll want to go again and again!

This is an amazing hike. The falls were flowing well. i wl be doing this hike many more times to come.

Be sure to get out and do this one while it’s still cool. The desert flowers are in full bloom which is a bonus. The first couple of miles coming out of the canyon are some of the toughest I’ve experienced. Head back early, and knock this section out early in the day when it’s cooler. This trail seems to be popular as I passed about 10 weekend warriors on my way in. The creek has many deep pools which are great for cooling off.

I backpacked this Trail the March 6th-8th and loved it. The first 3-3.5 miles are easy incline. My pack was about 35lbs included 3 liters of water. Wish I had 4 liters. Turn off to Reavis Falls is pretty well marked and near all the green Grass area. Goes left and up. There is a camp at the top and also an iron wood tree before you make a downward slope to the falls. If you go to the 2nd iron wood tree it is where I camped and beautiful spot. Camped there over night and left for Reavis Falls around 8 the next morning. Too get to the falls follow the trail down like 2 miles to the first crossing. Cross there and follow back up a little ways the creek to your left. Then when you get to the second crossing take that up-creek to the falls. It was flowing pretty good! I ended up getting back to camp at 5-6 I took my time and enjoyed a day by the creek. Next morning the easiest 4 miles back to my truck! Can’t wait to do Reavis Ranch next! Ps 3 liters went fast with food and drinking so went to bed with only enough water for a cup of coffee in the morning. About 30 minutes on my way to the Falls in the morning I found water seeping from ground and a little farther some pools of running water. I filtered some water there. 4 liters would have been nice to start since I didn’t get to the falls the first day

It was worth it. With all the rain and snow melt, the waterfall was incredible. I highly recommend to bring water shoes, as there is no good path going up the river. Took about 8 hours to complete.

With the recent rains, the water was really flowing off of the falls. All the water made it challenging to get to the falls but once you get there it's worth the effort. Keep an eye out for cairns to guide you and wear shoes/clothes you don't mind getting wet/muddy.

We planned this assuming it would be a tough trail. It wasn’t. We began around 6:00 am and arrived at the last scramble before the actual creek around 9 am. This was about 1.5 miles from juniper tree. Set up a nice camp and gathered some fire wood. We walked to the falls a little over an hour which was very nice. Plenty of water and ponds. Got back to camp in time for sunset. The hike out was tough with the immediate elevation scrambles then just a long walk on rather flat terrain to the parking lot. Epic scenery and we saw several deer running around.

This is a good hiking trail but not a great backpacking trail; tough on the return. From the summit down to the falls is very step and tough to navigate with a full pack. There are a few campsites prior to the falls, if you are backpacking I would snag one of the 4 sites and then hike down to falls without the full packs. Great views/scenery.

Good initial trail all up hill. Camped on the mountain after the trail split to the falls. Set up our tents then scrambled to the falls that were trickling. If you see the juniper tree camp site open, grab it up because it is by far one of the best spots and makes hiking out much easier as well

This was a very secluded trail for an overnight backpacking trip. Fun scramble to the falls, which were frozen. Climbing out was tough. watch the cactii---they are "biters" but worth every footstep since there was a dusting of snow everywhere. just lovely.

It is definitely a good one but can be difficult at times. This may not be for everyone. I’d recommend those who are in shape & have maybe done some hiking or backpacking on some more difficult trails before. Would recommend this hike to anyone as far as beauty and escaping from life goes. Oh & be sure not to miss the turn off for the falls trail, it can be easily missed.

Mon Apr 09 2018

Reall really great trail, however the turnoff for the falls is quite easy to miss. This trail shares a trailhead with the longer, Reavis Ranch trail. The left split-off trail is around 2-3 miles from the trailhead, after the meadowy hills. Even if you do miss it, there is some awesome country out there, but the falls are worth the trip.

Sun Feb 25 2018

Really overgrown with cacti and other painful plants. Not much water at the falls but nice to fill up. Though it's longer, the hike to Reavis ranch was much more enjoyable.

Fri Feb 16 2018

Its a but kicker once you leave the main trail and track up and over into what we called the trail of the deadly cactus. Watch you footing or be impaled, from experience. But the end is great. Camp at the second signs of water, and scramble to the falls from there.

Sun Dec 31 2017

Not much of a waterfall but still beautiful and a very difficult hike. Bring extra socks because your feet will likely get wet.

Mon Nov 06 2017

Has anyone done this trail recently? Thanks!

Sat Nov 04 2017

Incredible treat at the end of the trail. But be aware it is difficult.