Ramsey Canyon and Hamburg Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(90)
Coronado National Forest

Ramsey Canyon and Hamburg Trail is a 7.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Hereford, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 7.5 miles Elevation Gain: 2,821 feet Route Type: Out & Back

historic site

fee

Note: Conservatory Fee: $8 for public, $5 for local residents

fee
private property

Always a great hike. Just went to the waterfall past the overlook.

private property

This is a lovely trail with a strong community vibe. Trails go on for miles past the private conservatory. Unfortunately, the entrance/parking closes at 5pm and then you need to be off the property, which has an $8 admission fee and is gated. I wish I’d known that before driving an hour and a half to visit, under the assumption I could hike til dark.

A very beautiful trail! Lots of different views. Pretty challenging too, very variable elevation. Lots of cool lots of cool cliffs to climb. Flora and fauna were very prevalent too! Also, had a few flowing streams and they were awesome. Parking can be an issue so go early! Very awesome staff at the conservatory though. $8 for public, $5 for local residents. Bugs can get a bit annoying later on and WATCH OUT FOR RATTLE SNAKES! I went off trail a bit and almost stepped on one! Also, very rocky from mile .5-1.25.

Sun Feb 17 2019

I would recommend this trail to anyone looking for a quick easy trail. Safe for Elderly and pregnant people. Plenty of benches to sit down and enjoy the views. Finding it is a little confusing, just pass the INN sign around the loop at the end of the road. Great customer service inside.

Sun Jan 20 2019

Love it!!! Nice trek to the top!! Seen a couple of deers that are not scared of people..and wood pecker...the view at the top is very calming...mountain, rick trees...so awesome. A little windy and cold at this time of year but all in all tolerable!! I say it is a must to hike Ramsey Canyon when in Hereford, Arizona !

Fri Dec 21 2018

Beautiful peaceful hike, one of my favorites in Sierra Vista/Hereford area. Beginning hike is easy and gradual, with a creek running through. Be sure to take the loops, worth it. We always see deer, a variety of birds & squirrels. A bit tougher going up the Hamburg Trail, you gain around 2500 feet. It’s worth it to keep going.

Mon Dec 10 2018

This was s great hike. Most of it was through the forest so did not get a lot of sun. Even had some snow closer to the top. I would rate this as a moderate hike though. There is a lot of going up. You gain 2500 feet in elevation. Most of the elevation is at the beginning and toward the end. The middle is more gentler elevation. According to my GPS the total round trip was 8 miles. I did not see any waterfalls, however there has not been much rain lately. Highly recommended. View at top is beautiful!

Fri Sep 21 2018

I hiked out of the Ramsey reserve and then ended up breaking off at Pleasant trail (~2 miles in) and followed that all the way to the road in Carr canyon then back. It was a pretty hike with lots of shade though it didn't really have scenic vistas of the valleys since it stays in the interior of the mountains. I had a late start (~1230) and still made it back in plenty of time before they closed the lot. I went on Thursday and did not see one person after the reserve. Overall a good afternoon hike!

Thu Apr 05 2018

Hiked the loop at the beginning of March and saw one hummingbird. Did see deer and had an enjoyable and relaxing hike. Very nice escape to nature!!

Wed Jul 05 2017

The lower Ramsey Canyon Trail is on property managed by the Nature Conservancy and can be accessed by paying a day use fee through the visitor center. Please note the property does have hours of operations and specific days it is closed, so you should check the Nature Conservancy's page for info. The lower loop trail is an easy low gradient hike that follows a creek surrounded by nice forest including some huge sycamores. The trail that heads south upslope off of the loop is a much more strenuous series of switchbacks that climbs the steep hillside, and I would only consider the lower loop as easy.

Sat Apr 08 2017

Awesome hike.

Sun Mar 12 2017

We went to the waterfall, just past the overlook, and back a little under 3 hours. A very doable hike. Many trail connections to longer trails. Would highly recommend.

Sun Feb 26 2017

I've been up to the parking area of Ramsey many times before to see the hummingbirds. Incredible amount of birds here. I've hiked the trail as well, and it's one of a few canyons in southern AZ that has Maple trees in it. So in the fall, it is worth a short hike to see the reds. The trail goes on to connect to many others on the mountain

Sat Dec 03 2016

Very beautiful in December, the leaves changing where breathtaking! We went all the way to the falls which is NOT easy but moderate!

Mon Aug 22 2016

Great hike with the family!

Sun May 29 2016

Beautiful easy hike.

Wed Apr 20 2016

Love it. Tons of wildlife in the spring. path is wide and we'll maintained.

Sat Apr 16 2016

Great trail! We saw deer, lizards, squirrels, and lots of beautiful birds.

Wed Mar 16 2016

I did nada. Second time the directions in All Trails took me about 5 miles away from the trailhead. Will try again tomorrow...hear it's well worth it.

Sun Nov 15 2015

Great trail, definitely worth the $3 to enter through the nature preserve. Great people who obviously care about the trail. I was really impressed by the stream / river and all the maples with changing leaves. Highly recommend this trail!

Wed Jul 08 2015

They don't allow dogs, which is hilarious when you realize the Brown Canyon trail can take you right into this canyon along with your dog. Just do that or go when they are closed.

Thu Mar 19 2015

It was a fun hike to do with my children ( they are 5 and 4). We went all the way up past the canyon reserve (private property) and into the state park. The staff were very nice and gave my kids a bingo sheet to do while we were hiking. My kids had a blast trying to find all the plants and animals on the sheet. FYI firearms are not allowed on the private property portion.

Sun Jul 13 2014

I don't understand how 16 people have done this hike. These directions lead to a private drive with no trailhead anywhere.

Fri Aug 24 2012

Great scenic trail that follows a small creek, very nice for hot feet.