Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Ragged Top North Gully Trail is a 4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Marana, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,515 feet Route Type: Out & Back

A difficult and adventurous hike to the summit of a remote desert peak. Be prepared for lots of bushwhacking, difficult route finding, and steep exposed terrain. From the parking lot head directly towards the large north facing gully that ends at the saddle just west of the main summit. After about 1.3 miles of bush whacking, you will be in the north gully. You will see a faint game/climbers trail, that will lead you to the main saddle. Once you have reached the saddle, head around to the southwest face of the summit peak until you reach another short steep gully. Follow the steep gully to the top. Ragged Top Mountain contains what may be the last viable population of indigenous desert bighorn sheep to the Tucson basin. Humans can negatively impact the population dynamics by intruding upon the sheep during breeding and lambing seasons. Breeding season occurs in August and September while lambing occurs during February, so time your hike accordingly.

Really fun loop on a bike. It’s an easy trail on a bike, but it flows great. Steady climb in the beginning, then the fun descent. Beware of the extreme beauty of the area. It becomes addicting.

There is a dirt road that most trucks and suv's can drive that ends in a turnaround you can see in satellite view at about 2 o'clock at the base of the rock. A Honda element in front of me made it most of the way and parked before the end, I made it no problem in an Xterra. There is no trail, but from what it sounds like there's not much of a trail from the road either. I recommend parking here and walking counter clockwise around the base of the rock to meet up with the alltrails trail. There were tons of cholla groves and I got stuck multiple times. I was by myself so I did not attempt to go to the top but the formation and the surrounding desert is beautiful. You are in a fairly dense suguaro forest and I've heard there are big horn, but I didn't see one. I was there in the winter so I wasn't concerned but when it's warmer I would be vigilant for rattlers since you are essentially just walking through the desert. Cant really rate it as a trail, more just a pretty area with a cool formation you can climb.

Sun Feb 03 2019

This trail is not clearly marked so you will have to bush wack it for a good portion of the hike, definitely not for beginners, loose rock and rock climbing are part of the higher part of the climb. I thought it was strenuous in some areas. The view from the top is fantastic and worth the 5 hour round trip that it took to go up and back down.

Fri Oct 26 2018

Pretty tough scramble, for the distance. We took this route back to the truck and the long way around got the way up. Nice views, no people.

Sun Mar 25 2018

Beautiful area and views, difficult to find the route. Don't even attempt in bad weather. Also, closed in the spring.

Tue Jan 02 2018

took the family out for a few nights next to rugged top mountain for peace, relaxing and that's what we got under the stars on new yrs eve 2017. we packed in and packed out without a trace of trash which should be at all times. a beautiful scenic view.

Mon May 29 2017

I was in a Jeep and parked here 32°27'6.36"N 111°29'4.51"W. The road wasn't too bad (dry season). I wish the people here would put up signs to the parking areas and/or trails. I'm sure I wasn't on an official trail. It seems to me that the environmental impact would be minimized if people knew where to go. Can't find shade? Here's a place: 32°27'0.03"N 111°29'13.33"W. Again probably not on the official trail. . I didn't get to the peak, but I was able to see a big horn sheep. In my opinion, the only reason to go through all of this trouble is to see one. Don't do what I did and hike alone. Too many places where you could slip and fall. I fell several times on my rear end coming down.

Tue Jan 10 2017

I hiked it on Dec. 30, 2916. Challenging hike/climb. Yes bring your gloves, you need them for the rocks to pull you up. Wear long pants and long sleeves lots of thorn bushes to crawl through. I drove the 4x4 trail to the east to start my hike. I hiked around and up the north canyon. The same north canyon shown on the map. Lots of thorn covered brush on the north side. I came down on the south west side with less brush but more cholla. I hiked over the low saddle on the east, back to my truck. 1700 feet elevation change, 2.5 miles, 5 hours total with lots a breaks and lunch at the top. Paul from Page AZ

Sat Apr 05 2014

Be ready for some scrambling but totally worth it. Keep an eye on where you parked cause there's no designated trail. And, bring a friend.

Mon Jan 21 2013

Best access is on a jeep road east of the trailhead indicated on this site. You drive south and knock off a mile of hiking--and your vehicle is easier to find! This is a tough trail--if you can call it that. It is bushwacking and route finding. It is only a mile to the top from the end of the jeep road, but it took us 2 hours to get to the top and 2 hours back down because it is steep, rocky, loose gravel and brushy. We found other people's clothes and hiking poles along the way--attesting to the difficulty of the trail, Both gulleys on the north get to the top and seem about the same. We went up the center one and came down the northwest gulley. Pretty much the same. This is a really strenuous hike that requires lots of route finding and stamina. Wear leather gloves, long pants, a long sleeved shirt and a hat. Take lots of water and sunscreen. Take food to recharge. And take a camera because you won't come back here again.

scenic driving