Quartz Ridge Trail (#8A)

Quartz Ridge Trail (#8A) is a 3.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.2 miles Elevation Gain: 623 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Garbage for mountain biking. Absolute rubbish. Tons of hikers, rocky, craggy and loose. Opposite of fun unless you wanna chew your knees up when you go down on this super unkept “mountain bike” trail.

Beautiful towards the end. We did this as part of a loop with 3 other trails, where we got very lost towards the end...but NOT on the quartz trail. It is all well marked. This first part of our loop was nice, a good amount of moderate uphill which kicked my butt in a few spots because I am still getting in shape. But very nice, good easy to follow trail, not terribly crowded on a Thurs but we were definitely not alone either. Absolutely awesome huge quartz boulder was a great thing to see! I should have taken a pic... After the "saddle" area that also connects to Ruth Hamilton trail, we stopped seeing as many people until we got close to completing our full loop. The valley area after crossing creeks towards the end is gorgeous!

Nice views of Phoenix and saguaro. Busy trail but not so crowded you can’t enjoy it. We took another trail at the end up to a peak but not sure what it was. That part would probably be rated difficult because of the steep rocky area. But the rest of the trail was moderately difficult and got the heart rate going.

I love this trail! It’s one of my favorite hikes to take the dogs. This was my first time taking both dogs and they ended up doing great. Highly recommend!

Lame trail end. Good easy hike for most of it. Take the offshoot to 8B for a quick, fun summit in the middle of 8A.

This was a lovely hike not too hard and we got some great pics of the tall saguaro cactus along the way.

Great easy hike for a nice fall day. A lot of leashes dogs on trail. Some heavy rocky areas but not too many. Great trail overall.

The end of this trail is underwhelming. Next time, we’ll stop at the intersection of 8A and 8B. Great views on the way up to that point.

Oh my gosh, I loved this trail! Thrned around at the summit because I was low on water and it was hotter than I expected, but still a solid work-out! Beautiful quartz crystals scattered on the mountain! Unfortunately, there was no parking and the lack of bathrooms was inconvenient, but there is a large shopping centre just across the street and as long as you stay away from designated areas, plenty of parking!

recorded Quartz Ridge Trail (#8A)

Great hike!

Great 5.1 km hiking

Lots of people, minimal parking, no restroom or water. Fun trail for a mid-workday hike.

Very little shade but still and always a favorite of mine! Never realized I have never done the whole trail until I used my AllTrails App that lead me to the end and back. Loved it!! Definitely moderate trail; always a great workout with beauty everywhere! Oh and TONS of beautiful flowers off of the small cactus! I stopped SEVERAL times to take pictures of them even though they looked the same, I was just in awe every time.

A nice trail with a good climb. Away from Piestewa, which makes for a less crowded hike. Nice views. Certain parts of the trail are quite rocky, especially near the saddle.

Did all of 8A for the first time! How amazingly beautiful in the desert! The city is all but completely lost!! Looking forward to my next hike on the full trail!!

Hell of a trip. Enjoyed it.