Quartz Ridge Trail 8A and L.V. Yates Trail 8

Quartz Ridge Trail 8A and L.V. Yates Trail 8 is a 2.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 2.3 miles Elevation Gain: 567 feet Route Type: Loop

I did 304-8-8A-8B today. Quite a little loop. Not really difficult to speak of, though some careful footing on 8B over the mountain is called for. It was about 4 miles in total. Last time I jumped on 8 I got lost! Or not really lost, but still not making my way back. I made wrong turn after wrong turn until I finally stumbled on to the Alternate Summit trail, climbed up to the summit trail, and then mountered down to ground level and parking. There's lots of good hiking in Piestewa Peak Park, once known as Squaw Peak. You can do some mileage and see some sites.

I had a few hours to burn so I decided to check out trail 8. I read where it was a loop, however, it takes you to the Dreamy Draw parking lot. Ideally I would have liked a loop but I was pleasantly surprised by the 5 mile (2.5 mile each way) hike. I only saw a handful of hikers and asked each one if it looped but it was all of our first time on trail 8. There is a bench on the first peak about a mile in. Overall, I enjoyed the hike and would recommend it. I’m looking forward to more trails in this mountain preserve.

This was a really nice little hike. The parking was pretty awful but it’s Saturday and Piestewa so it’s to be expected. There were bathrooms and picnic tables off the parking lot. The trail wasn’t as busy as so many other trails around that area, though we did see several people. The trail itself was a moderate hike with just a few tough spots. Lots of loose rock. Great views all along. Several spots to go off and check out, which I love. Short enough to leave room to do other things with your day. I’d do it again. I would recommend that if you bring your dog that you might consider putting booties on his feet, as some of the rock areas are kind of jagged and sharp, plus there are a few spots where there are a lot of little pieces of broken cholla pieces in the trail.

Monday, April 16, 2018