Quartz Ridge and LV Yates Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(76)
Phoenix Mountain Preserve

Quartz Ridge and LV Yates Loop is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 4.3 miles Elevation Gain: 882 feet Route Type: Loop

Great trail! Limited parking at the trailhead so I recommend parking across the street in the shopping center. Quite a few turnoffs so the app is very helpful to stay on the trail. A small portion of the trail is on paved asphalt. Overall a great trail!

Busy trail on what may turn out to be the best hiking day of the year. Major complaint is parking, not enough of it. You would probably be better served trying to get parking at the end of Squaw peak Dr. With that all being said, with all the wild flowers and natural beauty to take in I still really enjoyed this hike.

My wife and I ( early 60s ) felt this was our favorite of the five trails we had done in 6 days. Much less crowded, and less steep than Pinnacle and Tom’s Thumb. Brittlebush is blooming everywhere. A little confusing at times - shortly after re- entering the trail from Squaw Peak Drive we took the advice of an “ experienced “ hiker and ended up on another steep climb instead of looping back down to the Quartz Ridge trail, but was worth the views of Camelback and all of the wildflowers. Poles very helpful. Just do it!

Very easy kid friendly, dog friendly trail.

Went to Daisy peak. Parking is tough but great spot to hike!! So many trails

I have been on L.V. Yates (8) several times. From one angle, it climbs to a lookout over a stretch of desert leading off to the north and 2 Bit Peak. From another angle, it climbs up to 8B, which loops over the mountain with some tricky footwork and back down to 304, just north of parking in Squaw Peak Drive. One time, venturing into a wash I had never been in before, I leaned directly over a sleeping Diamondback rattler. It was completely hidden from view, lying amid rock and dirt. It did not rattle or strike. It could have easily bitten me, maybe even in the heart. I scooted out of there in a hurry! Ha ha. Fun stuff with deadly rattlers. Anyway, a good and versatile hike in Piestewa Peak Park.

Thu Apr 18 2019

Real nice trail. New to the Phoenix area and just hiked it for the first time today. When you get back in there, all you hear is the hum of bees—feels peaceful and completely secluded. Trail is in good shape. Less walking on boulders than many I’ve found here. A little climbing but not too much.

Sat Apr 13 2019

Sun Mar 31 2019

Great hike. I added a couple miles by adding an extra loop to the north. Surprised to see the parking lot over half full at 5:30am.

Sun Mar 24 2019

This trail was a good workout, not too hard but got the pulse rate up. The trail has a lot of loose medium sized rocks (not gravel) rock which can be hard to walk on. Bathrooms were a port a potties that were nearly overflowing...they are doing some work it looks like so hopefully this is temporary.

Sat Mar 09 2019

Nice trail, some of the loop ends up on squaw peak road for a little bit, but quickly loops back to the trail. Keep an eye out for the trail markers on your way around, otherwise pretty easy hike, took me less than two hours

Wed Feb 27 2019

Great trail and gave me some wonderful views of the snow capped mountains up north! Nice climb at beginning and views of the city. Highly recommend even though I got kinda off trail but recovered with my AllTrails app!

Fri Nov 30 2018

Great as an out and back or full loop. Nice ascent at first with great views, well used trail and easy to manage. Very busy trailhead being close to city so parking can be an issue. I Uber’d over and back to hotel.

Mon Nov 26 2018

Great trail and marked well. Love this park in general

Mon May 14 2018