Quartz Peak Trail

Quartz Peak Trail is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Maricopa, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.1 miles Elevation Gain: 2,473 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Nice hike with some good views.

Great trail wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be was pretty easy as you get up towards the top you have to follow the stacked rock

Beautiful trail!! Leg burner but totally worth it!

I only went a short distance as my puppy discovered cholla. But I’m excited to get back there and do the whole thing.

Coolest hike I’ve done in AZ! First, regarding directions.. We took the north route via Riggs road. DO NOT TRUST GOOGLE MAPS. It will try to take you off Riggs. We ended up doing some sketchy off-roading following that route until finally deciding to go home. Alas, we got back to Riggs and realized that we didn’t see the dirt road marking the way to the trail off to the right. This was easy to follow. You can probably do this with 2 wheel drive, but as other people have said, clearance is important. We were in a 4WD Jeep. R.e. the hike.. resplendent views of Arizona unlike any you’ve ever seen. You’ll have to see the top for yourself. It took us 3 hrs 20 min total, but we’re a bunch of cross country runners and were moving pretty quick, so maybe allow for a little more time if you want to move more slowly and take in the views. If doing this in the winter, pack warm clothes! There are chilling winds all the way up to the top. Happy hiking!

If you are looking to do a somewhat challenging hike and get away from the crowds in some true wilderness.Then this might be the hike for you. This is my new favorite hike! The views are fantastic on your ascent the views you will see are pure open desert no houses no buildings nothing beautiful. When you get to the top you’ll see South Mountain downtown Phoenix you can even see four peaks it’s an amazing view! I would say if you can do the front side of Camelback without stopping you can get to the top of Quartz Peak in less than an hour and a half (with out stopping) If you are an experienced hiker I would allow five hours for the whole thing. If you were not experienced it will take a the whole day. That’s w the driving and everything. Also don’t take the Maricopa way to get there take the Riggs Road way much shorter and easier. You may get some scrapes on your vehicle but it’s not too bad. Happy trails! GAC :-)

Amazing hike for sure, but not too difficult until about the last mile. We came from the Southeast into the mountain range, but the route wasn’t bad (I drove a lifted 4runner). I will definitely be back in the spring to do this hike again! Not as difficult as browns peak (4peaks) or Flat Iron in superstitions.

Although it was rough driving to the trail, the views at the top made it worth the time and navigation trouble. I would suggest driving in from the west side of the mountain, which is the side we left on....coming in from the east, the road was narrow and scratched up our vehicle since it isn't maintaining. We drove off the road in to try and avoid some of the heavier branches hanging over the dirt road. Since driving in took longer then expected, we ended up starting way to late and spent an hour coming down after the sunset. The stunning views from the top made it worth the drive time. It was about 20 degrees cooler due to the high winds at the peak. It was super fun during the last 1/2 mile.to the top. For fsome reason our tracking was off but we had a backup method for GPS tracking. Had we started and ended earlier it would have taken 4 hour max but the darkness slowed us waaaaaaay down. Only passed 4 people so if you like a more secluded hike, this fits the bill. we definitely like having the mountains that way. definitely 6.1 miles of hiking bliss

Indeed the trail is HARD. I'm not in the same shape I was in my 40's. I have knees that are wearing out, I made it all the way to the peak, but I paid for it! Sunset was at 5:20pm. I make it back to my Jeep at 6:45pm. 5 minutes later and it would have been totally dark. Overall, a great hike though. I felt like a mountain goat for sure at times! It took me 3 hours to summit and 2 hrs. to decend. I was hiking solo so I had to be extra careful the whole trip. I passed 4 people coming down on my way up. Not busy this day.

8 Estelle

This hike was phenomenal. It will challenge you that’s for sure. Especially the last 1/4 mile. It is boulder scramble to the top. But the view is worth the effort. Can’t wait to go again.

Such a challenging hike! I haven't went on a good hike in a while. I've been wanting to do this one for months now and this morning my husband and I decide to do it. The road you want to take all the way there is riggs once you are on it. Google maps says to turn somewhere else and make a huge block then get back on rigs. We just took riggs all the way to the trailhead. It's very sandy and there are a few huge dips. You will need a high clearance vehicle and I'd recommend 4x4. We took my Jeep cherokee 4x4 and it did just fine. We started at 6:45am and got to the peak at about 9:50am. We took quite a few breaks. The hike was very challenging. Steep incline until the last .5mi or so then you have to scramble boulders to the top. People have made carins out of rocks to help guide you up. Took us about 2 hours to get down. Overall I'd do it again! amazing challenge.

I completed this trail on 4/7/2019. I started at about 9:30am and finished at about 3:00pm with a very short break at the top. This trail feels remote and has a lot of great views, but it is also very rocky and the trail at times I thought could be challenging to follow since you sometimes are going over large rocks. I was lucky to usually have people close enough ahead of me that I could find the path. Next time I would start this trail earlier. This is a trail I definitely think you need to bring extra water since there is no shade and a snack since it’s a decent distance and a consistent inclined. Getting to the trail head took longer than anticipated due to a large portion being done off road. I was able to follow other reviews and get my Honda HRV our to the trail head, but my car definitely ended up with some scratches from vegetation along the sides. The trail head does have put toilets but did not see toilet paper or water. I recommend having water in a cooler or large insulated cup in your vehicle. This is what I did and was super grateful I had since we were just about out of water in my pack by the time we finished and it’s about an hour by car before you are back to civilization/an area with a gas station or similar.

If you have a very high clearance 4X4 vehicle you can take the road that follows the powerline off the SR238, however there is a sandy, somewhat packed, few dips, and turns road that is down by the Landfill. The road wraps around the Mobile airport on the westside then heads east then north. The turnoff for the trail is marked by a small BLM pole. At times the trail can be slick from the loose rocks and has a lot of switchbacks. Also, the trail is well marked until you have to scramble to the top for the last half mile. Plan for extra time because going down can be just as challenging as going up. EVENTUALLY when you arrive at the top, the view is beautiful and the breeze helps cool you down. So hit the trail early to get first dibs!

I’ve got to give this low stars because of the road to the trail head. It’s all a wash, so unless you have and are used to 4WD then do NOT attempt. Even with 4WD the road eventually narrows and a giant crack divides it so you’re forced to choose a side, where your car will inevitably be scratched from the desert plants. I never actually got to the hike because a friend got lost trying to get there. If you can get to the trail head I’m sure it’s great, wouldn’t recommend going alone.

Awesome hike - tough but rewarding! The view is fantastic from the top; we had a little picnic and it was epic. The trail is well marked almost all the way but it gets tricky towards the summit. Just follow the cairns. We only saw a few people and the ride in was an adventure as well. Went up in 2 hours, down in 1:24. There’s an outhouse at the trailhead, but bring your own TP. Can’t wait to do it again!