Quartz Peak Trail

Quartz Peak Trail is a 5.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Buckeye, Arizona that offers scenic views and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Beautiful views all the way up, and giant cacti everywhere. Strenuous climb, but so worth it to see the Quartz peak!!

Beautiful wilderness area, challenging and rewarding hike are the positives. Flies, flies, flies are the negatives. In addition, this is my third time doing this hike and I still have difficulty accessing the trail head due to poorly marked roads/off-road trails.

You're going to need a vehicle with 4WD to get to the trailhead. I would advise that people not do this trail alone due to how hard it is to get to the trail head.

A gorgeous hike. Perfect time of year for plants in bloom and cooler temps. The last part of rock scrambling gets a bit tricky but look around for cairns. The very last scramble offers a bit of climbing and some decent exposure. Really feels like you climbed a mountain. Great views. Made me want to plan out other summit hikes in the area.

very tough, take Riggs road all the way to powerlines turn right going south for about a mile turn left at trailhead.

Wow!! One of the hardest hikes I've done! I agree with most reviews on here. Personally, I think it's harder than Camelback and Squaw Peak here in the valley. Also, this is not a crowded trail but it is a hard trail. You go around corners and you think your almost there but then you realize you're still a ways out. "Be strong" :) Thanks to all who set the "guide rocks" that help immensely to keep you on track! The views were breathtaking once you finally make it. You can see West Valley and Downtown Phoenix! As someone else mentioned there's a military box up there to leave your name! Be prepared for a 2-4 hour hike "UP" depending on your level and experience.

Pretty difficult hike. Not for beginners. It's all uphill to the peak, which requires some pseudo-scrambling in the last quarter mile and then some light rock climbing.

The roads to get there also require high clearance. If you approach from the southeast using the power line maintenance road, you might need 4WD/AWD depending on your vehicle setup (tires, power, etc.). You will definitely need high clearance for the washes, they are not maintained and get dicey. Taking Empire blvd. or Riggs rd. from the west is a bit milder but still requires decent ground clearance.

I loved this hike. I agree it's for experienced hikers only and to get to the trail you'll need to have 4 wheel drive. Have fun, absolutely breathtaking views, totally worth the efforts

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

This trail is not for the faint of heart. Just getting to the trail head is an adventure. I used our Allroad but I wouldn't consider anything that wasn't awd and had solid ground clearance.
This is real deal desert out here. Super beautiful and you feel like the only person in the world.
I spent about 2.5 hours on the trail and was about 9.6 miles in and out. Loved it all. What a workout coming down!!
I love Estrella Mountains and I will definitely come back with everyone that comes to visit from out of town.

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Directions didn't take us there! Used all trails to get there and couldn't find the trail head.

Saturday, April 23, 2016

Absolutely awesome
This one won't give an inch
Great view of the valley from the top
Plan on at least 4 hours

Thursday, April 07, 2016

Very fun trail and pretty hard to find if you are coming from the west. I drove through 5 miles of desert washes. You will need a 4X4 vehicle. Don't rely on google maps it will take you on a journey, but hey that's what we're out here for right?

Monday, March 21, 2016

Great trail very good hike this one won't give an inch your workin for it but it's well worth it

Monday, October 26, 2015

June 14th hike, about 95 degrees. Bring bug repellent! Need at least 8 inches of ground clearance and 4wd or a v8....lots of sandy wash driving to get here. Gps is highly recommended. We saw 1 other crazy person on the trail. The path was pretty straightforward until the last 1.5 miles to the summit. Found a brass summit register and many bees among the beautiful quartz cap, which was cool to the touch despite the heat. Recommend doing this hike when the high temp. is below 80 degrees.

Friday, May 29, 2015

Drove my Honda out to the trailhead. Lots of sandy washes and difficult terrain getting there. Made it there but with some new scratches and pin striping along the sides of my car. Highly recommend a high clearance vehicle or 4 wheel drive for getting there.

Started off my hike with lots of jumping cactus nearby. About a half a mile in, the trail starts to elevate and the fun begins. Great views and you feel like nobody else is out there (probably is true). Lots of gnats hung around as I hiked up all the way to the top. Big boulders near the top and it feels like the trail disappears, but there are cairns that guide you in the right direction.

At the top, make sure to locate the military ammo box and log in that you were there!

Sunday, June 22, 2014

this is a GREAT day hike...GREAT views and a good workout...kind of fun to pick your way amongst the rocks and cairns along the way to the peak

Monday, April 08, 2013

This trail is an adventure. Just getting to it, and the hike itself! If you don't have a 4x4, don't do it. Road is rather sandy, not too many obstacles. It's a lot of fun in a jeep though! I was surprised to see 7 other cars in the parking lot as I started, as it feels that you are the only person out there.

The hike is steep, what I expected going into it. The final half mile is boulder hopping. Not for inexperienced hikers! Also watch out for the jumping cactus. Somehow got stuck with a few even though I was careful. Once you get to the summit, it's a rock climb straight up. I did this hike solo, will never do it again by myself. The summit is worth every effort getting there. Also did this hike in April, and was very hot coming down. Get there as early as possible to avoid the afternoon sun. Overall an incredible experience, I will go back!