Quartz Peak Trail

Quartz Peak Trail is a 5.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Buckeye, Arizona that offers scenic views and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

awesome work out beautiful peak better if you have a 4x4 to get to it. rough way to get to trail head. worth it.

First time doing this trail. We came in from Mobile and it was a fairly easy drive. The trail is in great condition but definitely an uphill grind. On a warm day, start early and take lots of water! Absolutely beautiful at the top with a great view of South Mountain. Would definitely do this one again!

I disagree with the sentiment that you need 4WD to make it to the trailhead through the Goodyear route. I've been out a couple times without that and never felt even remotely worried about getting stuck. I would definitely suggest at least using a crossover type vehicle just for the clearance. The road definitely has a few points where it is somewhat high in the middle and uneven spots that you will want that clearance. The problem with the southern route, as others have mentioned, is that Google maps will take you down some washes too narrow to really drive down and you will scratch the hell out of your car. If you go that route, I would suggest avoiding the turn onto 99th Ave and just continue to go straight. The turn after 99th Ave is a wash as described above. I have not gone on the suggested route, but the terrain view on Google maps looks much easier to traverse.

As for the trail itself, it is definitely difficult. You are looking at a sustained 16+% grade for pretty much the entire hike. It is absolutely gorgeous and I like the isolation. You are exposed nearly the entire hike, so account for that in the amount of water you take and the season you perform the hike. I highly recommend the hike.

PLEASE READ BEFORE GOING. I am a generally crazy person when it comes to risk-taking and I take my poor 2016 sedan on some pretty terrible roads. The route I took to get here was basically like driving on the beach but worse. Google Maps will give you directions coming from Goodyear, but DO NOT go that way if you do not have 4-wheel drive. I did, but it was a miracle. I did make it to the trailhead in my car, but didn’t have time as my 15 mile sand drive took 2 hours. The route to/from Mobile, AZ is safer if you’re looking to use a 2WD vehicle. Google Maps also thinks a lot of random “roads” that don’t even resemble a place you could drive any vehicle are there when they do not exist. Make sure you have the map of roads loaded on your phone so you can get out, especially if you take the Western route to Goodyear. Don’t use my rating for the trail. I have it the benefit of the doubt.

Make sure you hAve a 4 wheel drive car. It is necessary for getting to for parking. The hike is challenging. Mostly incline which destroyed my legs (I’m a 25 year old kickboxer). The view from the top is beautiful but I don’t think I’d go back

This was a great trail, if you have the means to get to the trailhead I strongly reccomend it. You will need a vehicle with a good amount of ground clearance to reach the trailhead. The trail itself is hard as rated but lightly trafficked if that's your thing. It is uphill all the way and when you get near the top some light climbing/scrambling is required, take it slow and easy and pace yourself, take plenty of water and go in the winter months. Beautiful view from the top on a clear day!

One for the books. Absolutely breathtaking.

Very difficult hike! Stunning views of all the mountains!

Dogs had a hard time the last 1/4 mi. Steep climb most of the way. Great views. Nice drive in.

Amazing views, to get here do not go on Litchfield to Empire as Google maps says. Road ends. Stay on Riggs to power line road.

Fantastic hike. Great workout and totally worth the effort. The quartz peak is so unique, making it that much better when you reach the top. Take plenty of water and enjoy the views!

Beautiful views all the way up, and giant cacti everywhere. Strenuous climb, but so worth it to see the Quartz peak!!

Beautiful wilderness area, challenging and rewarding hike are the positives. Flies, flies, flies are the negatives. In addition, this is my third time doing this hike and I still have difficulty accessing the trail head due to poorly marked roads/off-road trails.

Monday, April 17, 2017

You're going to need a vehicle with 4WD to get to the trailhead. I would advise that people not do this trail alone due to how hard it is to get to the trail head.

Friday, March 24, 2017

A gorgeous hike. Perfect time of year for plants in bloom and cooler temps. The last part of rock scrambling gets a bit tricky but look around for cairns. The very last scramble offers a bit of climbing and some decent exposure. Really feels like you climbed a mountain. Great views. Made me want to plan out other summit hikes in the area.

Thursday, March 02, 2017

Thursday, February 23, 2017

very tough, take Riggs road all the way to powerlines turn right going south for about a mile turn left at trailhead.

Wednesday, February 08, 2017

Wow!! One of the hardest hikes I've done! I agree with most reviews on here. Personally, I think it's harder than Camelback and Squaw Peak here in the valley. Also, this is not a crowded trail but it is a hard trail. You go around corners and you think your almost there but then you realize you're still a ways out. "Be strong" :) Thanks to all who set the "guide rocks" that help immensely to keep you on track! The views were breathtaking once you finally make it. You can see West Valley and Downtown Phoenix! As someone else mentioned there's a military box up there to leave your name! Be prepared for a 2-4 hour hike "UP" depending on your level and experience.

Saturday, February 04, 2017

Monday, January 16, 2017

Pretty difficult hike. Not for beginners. It's all uphill to the peak, which requires some pseudo-scrambling in the last quarter mile and then some light rock climbing.

The roads to get there also require high clearance. If you approach from the southeast using the power line maintenance road, you might need 4WD/AWD depending on your vehicle setup (tires, power, etc.). You will definitely need high clearance for the washes, they are not maintained and get dicey. Taking Empire blvd. or Riggs rd. from the west is a bit milder but still requires decent ground clearance.

Monday, December 26, 2016

I loved this hike. I agree it's for experienced hikers only and to get to the trail you'll need to have 4 wheel drive. Have fun, absolutely breathtaking views, totally worth the efforts

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

This trail is not for the faint of heart. Just getting to the trail head is an adventure. I used our Allroad but I wouldn't consider anything that wasn't awd and had solid ground clearance.
This is real deal desert out here. Super beautiful and you feel like the only person in the world.
I spent about 2.5 hours on the trail and was about 9.6 miles in and out. Loved it all. What a workout coming down!!
I love Estrella Mountains and I will definitely come back with everyone that comes to visit from out of town.

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Directions didn't take us there! Used all trails to get there and couldn't find the trail head.

Saturday, April 23, 2016

Absolutely awesome
This one won't give an inch
Great view of the valley from the top
Plan on at least 4 hours

Thursday, April 07, 2016

Very fun trail and pretty hard to find if you are coming from the west. I drove through 5 miles of desert washes. You will need a 4X4 vehicle. Don't rely on google maps it will take you on a journey, but hey that's what we're out here for right?

Monday, March 21, 2016

Great trail very good hike this one won't give an inch your workin for it but it's well worth it

Monday, October 26, 2015

June 14th hike, about 95 degrees. Bring bug repellent! Need at least 8 inches of ground clearance and 4wd or a v8....lots of sandy wash driving to get here. Gps is highly recommended. We saw 1 other crazy person on the trail. The path was pretty straightforward until the last 1.5 miles to the summit. Found a brass summit register and many bees among the beautiful quartz cap, which was cool to the touch despite the heat. Recommend doing this hike when the high temp. is below 80 degrees.

Friday, May 29, 2015

Drove my Honda out to the trailhead. Lots of sandy washes and difficult terrain getting there. Made it there but with some new scratches and pin striping along the sides of my car. Highly recommend a high clearance vehicle or 4 wheel drive for getting there.

Started off my hike with lots of jumping cactus nearby. About a half a mile in, the trail starts to elevate and the fun begins. Great views and you feel like nobody else is out there (probably is true). Lots of gnats hung around as I hiked up all the way to the top. Big boulders near the top and it feels like the trail disappears, but there are cairns that guide you in the right direction.

At the top, make sure to locate the military ammo box and log in that you were there!

Sunday, June 22, 2014

this is a GREAT day hike...GREAT views and a good workout...kind of fun to pick your way amongst the rocks and cairns along the way to the peak

Monday, April 08, 2013

This trail is an adventure. Just getting to it, and the hike itself! If you don't have a 4x4, don't do it. Road is rather sandy, not too many obstacles. It's a lot of fun in a jeep though! I was surprised to see 7 other cars in the parking lot as I started, as it feels that you are the only person out there.

The hike is steep, what I expected going into it. The final half mile is boulder hopping. Not for inexperienced hikers! Also watch out for the jumping cactus. Somehow got stuck with a few even though I was careful. Once you get to the summit, it's a rock climb straight up. I did this hike solo, will never do it again by myself. The summit is worth every effort getting there. Also did this hike in April, and was very hot coming down. Get there as early as possible to avoid the afternoon sun. Overall an incredible experience, I will go back!