Pyramid Trail

Pyramid Trail is a 6.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,322 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Love the Pyramid Trail! I hiked with a group of friends on 11/9/19, so I had an opportunity to enjoy more of the scenery this time around. We started at 6:30am in cool weather and finished in a nice 80 degree sun. I consider this trail moderate, but others who may be new to hiking will say it is hard/difficult. I have hiked this trail several times as an avid hiker and I still consider this a great workout. Overall, I highly recommend this trail. :)

Great cardio workout!

I would recommend this trail to anyone looking for an dog friendly trail medium hike great views

Great trail but not as scenic as most.

10-9-19 Sunrise Hike starting at 5:30 am, a few hikers on the trail before us, headlights/flashlights needed if you hike that early. Beautiful Sunrise this morning, pleasant hike hitting shade here and there. A baby snake was spotted, a few lizards and birds....Trail is well maintained even though very rocky. It’s a great incline workout, I enjoyed it! No fees/No Washrooms.

If I want to challenge myself, I come to this trailhead. I love the Pyramid Trail! It's quiet and never a lot of people, dogs, or kids. As a matter of fact, I was the first to arrive at 5:30!! :D This trail has no shade (so hike early!), and there was a medium sized cactus blown over that I saw, but nevertheless there was cloud cover and a wonderful breeze. Overall, I highly recommend this beautiful trail!

the view at the top during sunrise is perfect.

I hiked this trail this morning from West Chandler Blvd to the National Trail and back down. My phone’s gps app kept giving me incorrect instructions. You should use the map that is here on All Trails to find the trailhead. Actually, it is very easy to find. Just follow W. Chandler Blvd west until you see signs that tell you there is a dead end ahead. The small trailhead is on your right. Can’t miss it. The trail starts out by going across the desert for about a mile. (Be careful and use the All Trails map to stay on course because several times there is no trail marker.) After crossing the desert, you begin the switchbacks. There are quite a number of them. They are short and steep! Once you reach the top, about 1.5 miles, you will reach a ridge with some ups and downs as you connect to National Trail. Throughout your journey, you see beautiful views of the south valley and other mountains. Once you reach National Trail, you get to see the north side of the mountains, as well as the old brick structure on the Telegraph Trail. Be careful in this heat!! At 6:30am, it was 80 degrees. I hiked 7.5 miles (I got lost at one point and had to find my way back to the trail.) 5 hours later, I finished the hike in 100+ degrees! The trail has only tiny shady areas to rest. The afternoon temp was quickly heading toward 107! I carried 6 bottles of water and 2 bottles of gatorade and used them all. I would like to return to this trail in the fall when it is cooler. Only a handful of people on the trail.

If you plan to hike this trail during summer months, tackle it at Sunrise. There is no shade. Beautiful north facing views of South Mountain. Sun screen and water a must.

Nice trail. Good incline after 1st mile until peak at around 2.1 miles in. After that mostly flat or minimal ups and downs. Minimal shade in the morning, almost none in the afternoon.

Great hike! Started the hike around 9AM, wore sunblock but still got burnt pretty bad on my shoulders.

I did the hike at 6am, it was an okay exercise. Really beautiful though. On one side of the trail you have a neighborhood the other desert.

Pyramid-NationalTrail loop. Steep with loose rocks coming down off National.

Great hike! I would suggest not going when it's too hot out as the switchbacks are in complete sun. The flowers were in bloom due to the recent rains.

Decent trail, a better option than trying to get parking at telegraph trailhead. Climb up hill is flatter switchbacks compared to telegraph which is more stair step style. No facilities at trailhead so hit the bathroom before you get here.

I must’ve picked the best day of the year to go hiking. There were SO many beautiful wild flowers. Like most hikes I’ve done on this side of the mountain, there’s a long, relatively flat hike just to get to the good parts. The trail is nicely marked. The views are nice and the 6-8 people I passed on the 6.2 mile hike were all friendly. The dirt parking lot had plenty of open spaces on a weekday afternoon. There’s nothing like miles of trails and nothing but your thoughts (and a few podcasts).

Always a crowd pleaser.

Never disappoints. Flowers blooming. Great workout.

I would definitely not call this trail kid friendly. Very steep drop offs very close to the trail. If you don’t like being VERY close to cliffs this trail isn’t for you

Did this with 2 kiddos no problem, pretty views and fun switchbacks.

We did Pyramid trail and instead of heading back to the parking area we followed to national trail then to the roadway which leads to telegraph trail and ran/walked back from the parking area on dessert foothills to the parking area on east chandler blvd. (approximately 4kms extra). the telegraph trail is quite busy but it offers different scenery rather than just hiking up pyramid and turning around! Pyramid is great, starts easy then has some good switchbacks which offer a decent workout with great scenery and views.

Wow! This park is very nice. We opted to go from Pyramid into National and then came back through the lost mine trail. Beautiful weather, some interesting sites and structures. Definitely will be back to South Mountain. The ranger we met was also very nice!

It was planned to be a fast paced hike and did a little trail running along with it, the elevation was fantastic, not too hard but enough to really get a great workout. The weather was perfect and the view was beautiful, all in all I would recommend this trail.