Learn more

Praying Hands to Slot Rock [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(430)
Tonto National Forest

Praying Hands to Slot Rock [CLOSED] is a 4.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Apache Junction, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from October until June. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 4.3 mi Elevation gain 954 ft Route type Loop

Closed

No shade

Description
Waypoints (0)

Closed as of July 2. Wildfires have burned more than 224,500 acres and there is ongoing, extreme fire danger due to dry conditions and hot temperatures.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (430)
Photos (862)
Recordings (363)
Completed (541)
Brian Ellis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 3, 2020
Hiking

All trails Open Again as of July 31st! We saw a couple of deer. So Beautiful! Humidity was high, but still hot even at 12am-2am.

View Brian's Recording
Marcus Furman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 9, 2020
Hiking

This trail is currently closed. I’m leaving there now pretty disappointed, I was pumped to do it.

Brian Ellis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 16, 2020
Hiking

Went last night the trails are back open

Lindy Russell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 5, 2020
HikingNo shadeRocky
View Lindy's Recording
Cory Treloar
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 31, 2020
HikingNo shade
View Cory's Recording
Laura Carpenter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 28, 2020
Hiking

Very pretty, great rock formations at the top. We took a few detours.

View Laura's Recording
Darcy Martin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 20, 2020
HikingOver grownRockyScramble

Beautiful hike! Over grown, rocky, but definitely a fun adventure .

Kelsey Cattelino
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 14, 2020
HikingBugsOver grownRocky

Love this hike, will definitely come back! We went on a Thursday around 7am. Saw a few people towards the beginning but there were no other people the majority of the trail. We went counterclockwise, which like others, we recommend doing. The hike up has a steady incline but the view was gorgeous. We also echo others comments about bugs - if this is something that bothers you We recommend wearing/bringing bug spray. I was glad I wore quarter ankle hiking pants to protect the majority of my legs but the person with me wore shorts, and we both wished we wore full coverage hiking pants. Many parts of the trail is overgrown so we found ourselves pulling stickers etc out of our low profile socks. We also recommend keeping the trail map open to follow along. There were many parts where it wasn’t clear which way to go because it’s overgrown and/or there’s other trails that go a different way. We saw deer, several kinds of lizards, a snake, and a dead tarantula.

Lisa M.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 10, 2020
BugsNo shade

Beautiful early morning hike. We started at 6am and watched the sun come up. Lots of bugs, some bees and a brief encounter with a rattlesnake.

Janeth Jc
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 5, 2020
Rocky

wow what an amazing hike !!! can't wait to go back ! just make sure u give yourself enough time to appreciate allll the beauty around you ...we did this hike in the afternoon started at 6pm not the best time cuz it took us longer then I expected so it got really dark but we loved every min it ! we are going back ...for sure!

Dale Rugge
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 21, 2020
Hiking

One of our favorite trails. We parked about 1/3 mile in on dirt road, then hiked the loop counterclockwise to Slot Rock then Praying Hands and back to parking. Only encountered a few people on the trail. Wildflowers are about done, but the cactus flowers are just starting.

View Dale's Recording
Wallace Hudson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 20, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful trail. Took the south route, and it was pretty trafficked even at 7am, given that it intersects with other trails. Once I got to the steeper part though, I didn’t see anyone else. Except a family singing beautiful gospel music in the rocks. Steeper part was pretty difficult, as I’m not an advanced hiker, but it was doable and very rewarding and beautiful scenery. Use the map!! There are a few unmarked trials that were a tad confusing.

Del Wright
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 19, 2020
View Del's Recording
Jenn Eiland
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 18, 2020
HikingBugsOver grownRockyScramble

Beautiful views! Like everyone else, I would suggest going counter-clockwise. This trail connects with Jacob’s Crosscut and then Treasure Loop before it veers off to the left in route to Praying Hands and Slat Rock. DEFINITELY use the map, we got off trail many times and had to refer back to map. Also when you get to Slat rock, you’ll want to head down the rock instead of following the trail to the right (it’s some other trail). There were many times it felt as if we were walking through an overgrown desert jungle so I’d suggest wearing leg coverings if you’re worried about that. Overall, beautiful hike!

Grace El
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarApril 17, 2020
HikingBugsOver grownRocky

No clear signs or trail markers so it was easy to get off the trail & need to refer back to the map to get back on the trail. Plants and flowers on trail are extremely overgrown. However it was such a pretty 360 view throughout.

Laura Bent
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 14, 2020
HikingNo shadeRockyScramble

Beautiful trail. I couldn’t stop stopping to take pics. I went counter clockwise and loved every second. Little bit of rock scramble but overall pretty well defined. I still recorded and am glad I did bc there’s a lot of intersecting trails and I would have def gone off course

View Laura's Recording