Praying Hands to Slot Rock

Praying Hands to Slot Rock is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Roosevelt, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from October until June. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.3 miles Elevation Gain: 954 feet Route Type: Loop

rock climbing

1 hour ago

Not an easy hike. I got lost quite a few times and was a bit nervous as there was no one anywhere near.

Awesome trail! We were almost completely alone. Spotted a small deer and a friendly turtle. Nice scenery, good hike!

Nice moderate hike with beautiful views. The trail wasn’t marked well and was really hard to follow in some places. A lot of narrow grassy areas to walk through. Also, I nearly stepped on a rattlesnake as it was right in the middle of the trail on my way down.

Did this as part of a longer hike. Very cool spot. Did this back in May 2017. I believe we ran into a rattlesnake that was hiding in a bush!

It was a great hike, but easy to get lost. It has incredible views.

Initially the trail is easy to follow and is along established routes, but then it essentially disappears at the top of the climb — got lost and ended up cutting across a steep drop off to get back to a recognizable trail.

Beautiful to see praying hands up close. Did have to use the app several times to make sure I was going right way. Difficult to find trail after the slot. Luckily I had the app.

I started my hike in the afternoon and it was already warm, take plenty of water because I used more than I thought I would. Not a lot of people on the trail and those that were were hiking a different trail as they all coincide, which is where the app comes in handy because I found myself at a bunch of crossroads.

Good hike. We got a little lost when following the right side. Saw a rattle snake about a mile in.

Awesome trail I will definitely be back to find the right way!! There was a point that I lost the trail for about a mile heading back toward the trailhead parking from slot rock. It appears someone else did too because I was led back to the trail by stacks of rocks someone had placed to guide the way. Beautiful scenic views

Nice hike with some elevation but more at easy-moderate level. We made it a 5.5 miles hike w1,500 elevation gain by going up in the canyon to right between Praying Hands and Slot Rock. Wild flowers were spectacular. There are some waterfalls up the canyon that would be awesome with water flowing. We were also scouting for the trail up to the ridgeline which we found. Group will be back next year to conquer that!

This was a very nice moderate hike to The Praying Hands. We got off track by accidentally continuing on a trail that went past Slot Rock. Once we got to a ravine we realized we needed to turn back. The trail was difficult to see around and just past Slot Rock so I recommend to definitely use the App. It was a good workout that seemed longer then the App listed distance. The highlight was meeting a man on the trail walking his baby goat. Super cool.

The western side of the loop is easy to follow the trail up to the praying hands. After the praying hands to the slot in the rock, I frequently had to stop and look for the trail. I used the App to help find the correct trail direction when I would loose it and was able to quickly pick back up until I again would lose the trail. Due to all the rain, the vegetation on the east straighter side of the loop really grown up making it more difficult to follow. But once you get down and out of the boulders then the trail once again becomes really easy to follow. Up near the top it is really easy to end up on the wrong trail. The trail that goes to Massacre Grounds looks like the right path, but it isn't, unless of course you wanted to go to Massacre Grounds. Using the app, you can validate and turn around and even find the trail if need be to get back on track.

Amazing views from the top and the path through the rock was cool but we lost the trail after that and had to go down the same way instead of making a loop.

This was a great hike for a couple of 70 year olds! The views were beautiful and praying hands did not disappoint! A little rocky for us, but worth it!

gorgeous, but bear in mind the app sends you way off when you pass slot rock. instead just follow the actual trail and not the app there

Great running trails on this side of the mountain. Combined with Massacre Falls Trail makes for a good loop.

fun trail

great trail!! some rocky spots, but worth it!

Kind of boring

Beautiful Hike, Praying Hands are breathtaking!!! 1-29-19

Beautiful trail around the back sides of both Praying Hands and slot rock, with surprising greenery in late January 2019. We started at the Cholla Campground parking lot and added a little more distance on the west end for a total of about 6 miles. We started about 8:30 am, and when we returned at about noon it was getting a bit crowded

This trail isn’t very long but it is very rocky. Loved the view from the top.

Fabulous trail! Amazing scenery much of the way including some bizarre large rock formations and distant valley views. 2.5 hours at moderate pace.

Trail starts at first parking lot on the right on First Water Road, just off Apache trail #88. Picks up Jacobs trail, the crosscut trail, then up to the Praying hands. This is the steepest part of the trail. Once at the Praying Hands continue east towards the Massacre Grounds trail. There is a nice ridge just below a cave that is used for camping, then down through the Slot Rock. From here a steady trail down to the parking lot.