Pontatoc Ridge Trail

Pontatoc Ridge Trail is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

Directions from Tucson: Drive north on Oracle Road (US 89) to Ina Road. Turn right (east) on Ina and drive about a mile to Skyline Road which branches off to the south (right). Follow Skyline (have to make a left to stay on Skyline) to Alvernon Way and turn left (north) to the trailhead and parking lot at the end of the pavement.

Went on February 19th 2018 on a windy and cloudy day and it was just perfect! Wonderful views both ways. Glad I had this app so that I could find the trail again on certain rocky spots. Great gradual incline. When you get to the end of the trail it kind of leaves you with a feeling of “Is this it?” I kind of expected a higher point with a better view but instead the trail got into an abrupt end. From there you can see a small cave that looks very inviting but to get there you have to scramble on some slippery rocks and gravel and very little room of survival if you loose your footing. Beautiful and heart pumping hike for a day with little time and cooler weather ❤️

Great hike. Views the whole way up and down. Pretty straight forward path. Small parking lot.

Hiked it from 7:45-10:15a, which included some jogging. I would wear pants because trail is brushy and also rocky. I saw about 15 javelinas and a roadrunner. Nothing spectacular at the summit, but there are some decent views of Tucson along the way. It was mostly shaded.

Perfectly challenge Trail for a guy from Wisconsin

This trail has good vistas. It is quite challenging in places. Good trail to hike.

Went early and got to the cave but didn't go in. On the way down and mid morning, there were at least 15 people climbing this hill and it was getting warm.

Pontatoc Ridge a nice relaxing hike that will still get your blood flowing. A bit overgrown, so I'd advise wearing pants at the very least. I made the mistake of shorts and was often left with the choice of which spiny thing to rub my legs against. Don't be me. That said, if you want a bit more of a challenge take the side trail up to the true summit. The views are amazing, but you have to pay for it in steep, rough trails with lots of loose gravel. Thankfully if you're afraid of heights you wouldn't have made it this far, so enjoy the views of Tucson and a good portion of the Santa Catalina Mountains. Be safe. Cheers!

Pontatoc Ridge Trail was great for city views. No water and very exposed, so don't do this one during summer afternoons.

It was a short hike since we were pressed with time but still got 3 hours of workout.

it was hot...

Tried to get to the old mine this time but didn't. Will try the cave in late September when it's not so humid and hot.

4 stars for difficulty. We started at 6am but spent too much time for snacks and fun with our new friend tortoise completely forgot about the summer heat. When we headed back down, it was HOT. I forgot to turn the recording off until half way home lol. I'll do this again when the temperature is much lower.

Great challenging hike!

This is a lesser known hike with great views.

mines haft was fun, nice views

Great hike, was nice to see the mine at the top, went inside for a little but got kinda creepy,, got to see my first Gila monster, such an amazing reptile.. my 3rd hike with my buddy brian!!

Great views, easy to follow trail without much traffic...saw fewer than 10 people during the mid morning hike. One pool still holding water.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Great trail, my legs are feeling it! While the parking lot was full, most people seemed to be on the Finger Rock or canyon trail, so only passed a few others heading up to the ridge on an otherwise busy Sunday morning. Beautiful views along the way and checking out the old mine shafts was super fun! Bring a light or use your phone and walk into the long shaft at the top. Good luck and have fun!

Monday, January 23, 2017

A hidden gem in Tucson. The water was flowing well after a heavy rain - which also made some of then granite rock faces a bit slick. The split between trail 410 and 411 occurs at about 1 mile in. I went 411 aka pontatoc ridge trail (vs canyon which I haven't done). At this point After a bit of flat it becomes challenging. Stay right to get to old mining shafts - it is breathtaking. It's rated hard and my knees would agree- I'm 36 and in decent shape. The views are worth every step!!!!

Friday, December 30, 2016

Wonderful! - A trail that presents an uphill challenge, but beautiful views at the top are well worth the climb. I wore high top hiking boots and highly recommend the ankle support but it's totally not necessary!