Pontatoc Ridge Trail

Pontatoc Ridge Trail is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

Directions from Tucson: Drive north on Oracle Road (US 89) to Ina Road. Turn right (east) on Ina and drive about a mile to Skyline Road which branches off to the south (right). Follow Skyline (have to make a left to stay on Skyline) to Alvernon Way and turn left (north) to the trailhead and parking lot at the end of the pavement.

This is a lovely moderate hike with great views south looking at Tucson and beyond. A good trail to take visitors on.

Good short, relatively brisk hike. Nice vegetation, nice views of Tucson. Only downside is the car noise, but you get that any time you're in the foothills. Trail ends a bit abruptly, though it's obvious some people go on to the mines once it stops.

Short but intense. Love the incline!

Went on February 19th 2018 on a windy and cloudy day and it was just perfect! Wonderful views both ways. Glad I had this app so that I could find the trail again on certain rocky spots. Great gradual incline. When you get to the end of the trail it kind of leaves you with a feeling of “Is this it?” I kind of expected a higher point with a better view but instead the trail got into an abrupt end. From there you can see a small cave that looks very inviting but to get there you have to scramble on some slippery rocks and gravel and very little room of survival if you loose your footing. Beautiful and heart pumping hike for a day with little time and cooler weather ❤️

Great hike. Views the whole way up and down. Pretty straight forward path. Small parking lot.

Hiked it from 7:45-10:15a, which included some jogging. I would wear pants because trail is brushy and also rocky. I saw about 15 javelinas and a roadrunner. Nothing spectacular at the summit, but there are some decent views of Tucson along the way. It was mostly shaded.

Perfectly challenge Trail for a guy from Wisconsin

This trail has good vistas. It is quite challenging in places. Good trail to hike.

Went early and got to the cave but didn't go in. On the way down and mid morning, there were at least 15 people climbing this hill and it was getting warm.

Pontatoc Ridge a nice relaxing hike that will still get your blood flowing. A bit overgrown, so I'd advise wearing pants at the very least. I made the mistake of shorts and was often left with the choice of which spiny thing to rub my legs against. Don't be me. That said, if you want a bit more of a challenge take the side trail up to the true summit. The views are amazing, but you have to pay for it in steep, rough trails with lots of loose gravel. Thankfully if you're afraid of heights you wouldn't have made it this far, so enjoy the views of Tucson and a good portion of the Santa Catalina Mountains. Be safe. Cheers!

Pontatoc Ridge Trail was great for city views. No water and very exposed, so don't do this one during summer afternoons.

It was a short hike since we were pressed with time but still got 3 hours of workout.

it was hot...

Tried to get to the old mine this time but didn't. Will try the cave in late September when it's not so humid and hot.

4 stars for difficulty. We started at 6am but spent too much time for snacks and fun with our new friend tortoise completely forgot about the summer heat. When we headed back down, it was HOT. I forgot to turn the recording off until half way home lol. I'll do this again when the temperature is much lower.

Saturday, May 20, 2017

Great challenging hike!

Sunday, May 14, 2017

This is a lesser known hike with great views.

Monday, April 17, 2017

mines haft was fun, nice views

Saturday, April 01, 2017

Great hike, was nice to see the mine at the top, went inside for a little but got kinda creepy,, got to see my first Gila monster, such an amazing reptile.. my 3rd hike with my buddy brian!!

Sunday, March 05, 2017

Great views, easy to follow trail without much traffic...saw fewer than 10 people during the mid morning hike. One pool still holding water.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Great trail, my legs are feeling it! While the parking lot was full, most people seemed to be on the Finger Rock or canyon trail, so only passed a few others heading up to the ridge on an otherwise busy Sunday morning. Beautiful views along the way and checking out the old mine shafts was super fun! Bring a light or use your phone and walk into the long shaft at the top. Good luck and have fun!

Monday, January 23, 2017

A hidden gem in Tucson. The water was flowing well after a heavy rain - which also made some of then granite rock faces a bit slick. The split between trail 410 and 411 occurs at about 1 mile in. I went 411 aka pontatoc ridge trail (vs canyon which I haven't done). At this point After a bit of flat it becomes challenging. Stay right to get to old mining shafts - it is breathtaking. It's rated hard and my knees would agree- I'm 36 and in decent shape. The views are worth every step!!!!

Friday, December 30, 2016

Wonderful! - A trail that presents an uphill challenge, but beautiful views at the top are well worth the climb. I wore high top hiking boots and highly recommend the ankle support but it's totally not necessary!

Wednesday, August 03, 2016

Great views, good challenge. A little difficult to follow in the beginning.

Monday, May 23, 2016

Pontatoc Ridge Trail is a fun and challenging hike. About one mile in there is a gorgeous rock overlook. The next mile is all climbing; 1300 feet up to the end of the trail. The views of Tucson are breathtaking. So is the climb. Bring lots of water and take your time; you definitely don't want to trip and fall on this trail.

Monday, March 28, 2016

Lots of loose, unconsolidated gravel on the path. The path is unmarked and hard to find a times, but if you're willing to explore a bit there are amazing views of Tucson!

Sunday, March 27, 2016

it was not too difficult except I don't like hiking in the heat. I'd rather do this trail when it's in the 30s.

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Just returned from hike to end of trail #411. It was all I wanted it to be. It was difficult for me (first hike of the year for me during my Spring visit to the family in Tucson) and found myself stopping several times to enjoy the "panora" (malaprop from an old friend of mine) especially since I am travelling from Western NY to the desert SW. Bring lots of water (I sure needed it) but just an amazing experience to see Tucson laid out at your feet. Who knows, may get our grandchildren up here one day.
Directions set forth herein are accurate. I simply wanted to "get to the end of Trail #411" and I was successful and thankful to the cairn builders for guiding this ol' Grandpa.
Really enjoyed the "notch" before the last push to the end. Sorry to see that it appears an old placard has been "removed" (to someone's dorm room, perhaps??)
It was work, but I recommend it. It was accurately rated as "difficult" for me.

Saturday, March 05, 2016

Hiked up to the abandoned copper mines at the end of the trail. When you get to the placard saying the trail has ended go right and follow the slightly precarious trail up to the mines... Basically giant holes in the side of the cliff. I went last Saturday. Began hiking at 9 and only saw one small group the entire time. Great hike and awesome finish at the mines!

Friday, December 25, 2015

I've made it to the top once I think while I lived in AZ, it's a great hike:)