Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Pontatoc Canyon Trail is a 5.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and nature trips and is best used from October until May.

Distance: 5.8 miles Elevation Gain: 2,230 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Woke up on the wrong side of the bed and decided to give this trail another shot. Boy did it give me the attitude adjustment I was looking for. There are plenty of neat rocks to sit on to enjoy the view if you don’t go all the way up. The last mile is challenging. If you decide to push through the second ascent after getting through the canyon, don’t quit before the miracle happens! Also, I didn’t run into another soul after the trail split, so if you’re looking for peace and solitude, this is a great trail.

This trail offered a great view of Tucson pretty much the entire way through the canyon. The trail was easy to follow and mostly clear of overgrowth. Although, I only got halfway. The temperature was rising quickly and decided to head back. Will definitely revisit this trail and get an earlier start next time!

I think this trail would be even more awesome when there’s more water in the mountains as it looked like there were two areas for very nice waterfalls! The higher you go, the more overgrown the trail is and I definitely got poked quite a bit! There’s a bit of shade on the way up if you go early, but always good to bring more water than you think. Overall I loved the elevation gain and canyon hiking is always great! Happy Trails Friends!

Nice

recorded Pontatoc Canyon Trail

I hiked the ridge many times but this was my First time doing the canyon when we were all under lock down or social distancing. It was an excellent workout and I will definitely do this trail again. The only complaint I have is, too many overgrown cacti that if you had shorts, you will definitely have a lot of cuts on your legs as the trail is very narrow. I mean one foot at a time in several sections.

Meh. Yes, it is a decent amount of elevation in a short hike, making it nice and challenging. But, the footing is not so great in some spots, and it is fairly consistently overgrown. You'll want to wear long pants and sleeves otherwise you'll be scuffed up from the vegetation encroaching on the trail in most places. Glad to have done it to check it off the list, I won't be back any time soon, though.

Nice scenery but I went right after it rained so the trail was a little grown out.

trail is definitely a difficult trail and I will give it credit for that. I have it a 2 because the trail ends in a ravine and is a nothing burger ending. the views that it does give along the way are nothing exceptional and you will get on any of the much better trails.

I’d describe this trail as not particularly memorable, especially as compared to most of the other trails in the Front Range. The trail doesn’t seem to really go anywhere and just sort of poops out a random spot. It generally sticks to the slopes and hills on the sides of the canyon. The scenery is nice, and you’ll have the place to yourself, as it is lightly traveled. The trail is very steep and rocky, and I’d characterize it as semi-cross country, with lots of encroaching vegetation. It’s rugged walking. Unless you’re on a quest to hike every trail in the Catalinas, there are many other options in the Front Range that offer much more.

Bring at least four litters of water. Some of the trail especially towards the tops is vague. Look around to be sure your on the trail. Wear good boots. Rocky.

Whew make sure you bring enough water! At least a gallon! Should go without saying, but as you get higher up, less shade, and a few temperature degrees different from bottom to top BEAUTIFUL will do again and complete!!!

A nice challenge trail with a challenging climb.

Decent Trail. Could be cut back in a few areas but overall I’d recommend.

Sun Feb 24 2019

I’ve done this hike before but thanks to the post stating that it actually continues after the end I did this to the very end. 6.2 miles. Lots of snow in the upper canyon. Amazing waterfalls and scenery.

Sat Aug 18 2018

Trail isn’t well maintained, cactus overlapping on trail in many parts.... wasn’t enjoyable....wont do again.

Sat Jan 13 2018

Super awesome trail. Great views and definitely a hard trail!! But this app end on the wash and there is more trail to see after for a total of 5.8 miles instead of the 3.8 the app says!!! Glad we kept going and see the rest of the great views!! App updated, they took my update info and now it’s a 5.8 mile trail!!