Learn more

Plateau Point Trail via Bright Angel Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(444)
Grand Canyon National Park

Plateau Point Trail via Bright Angel Trail is a 12.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Grand Canyon, Arizona that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and backpacking and is best used from September until May.

Length 12.2 mi Elevation gain 3,156 ft Route type Out & Back
Backpacking Hiking Nature trips River Views Wild flowers Wildlife No shade No dogs
Description

Photos (2490)
Recordings (302)
Completed (2040)
Honar Ali
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 17, 2020
View Honar's Recording
Mike Barnes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 15, 2020

Awesome!

View Mike's Recording
Nathan User
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 14, 2020
Hiking

this is not a normal 9-12 mile home, you will likely want to hike early down to Indian garden to avoid the heat. Then wait for around 3pm for the sun to let up and provide shade. recommend bringing a cotton long sleeve to soak in water at the rest stops to provide heat relief

View Nathan's Recording
Laura H.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 13, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful hike with stunning views! My daughter and I started at 6am and finished around 12 and it was the perfect timing. It was light when we started and we got to see the sunrise on our way down. We are in good shape and have been running/hiking 6-7 days a week for the past couple of years. The hike was not too challenging and we were able to keep an average pace of 25 minute miles. We both drank a gallon of water along with 3 electrolyte packets from the brand liquid IV and we felt energized the whole way! Definitely go all the way out to plateau point. the views are stunning and the 1.5 miles is mostly flat. There was no shade but we were able to stay cool by soaking our hats and shirts which we definitely recommend!

View Laura's Recording
Alexander Sunell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 11, 2020
View Alexander's Recording
Karryssa Fenderson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 7, 2020
HikingNo shadeRocky

Prepare to be challenged! The first part is downhill, and is the same route as Indian Garden. Once you reach the day use area, continue to the left to head out to Plateau Point. It is well worth the extra 1.5 miles out and back! You get a view down into the canyon of the Colorado River. Continue back the way you came and get ready to ascend - the most difficult part of this trail. Bring more water than you think you need! My advice is to wear long sleeves, pants, and a hat to protect yourself from the sun. There are restroom and water stations along the trail as well. Would definitely do again!

Tyler J McL
HikingNo shade

Completed this trail April last year. Going down is optional, going back up is mandatory !

Thom Ray
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 6, 2020
HikingGreat!No shade
View Thom's Recording
Daniel Wilcox
HikingGreat!

Amazing views but at a cost. Pushes you beyond all limits.

View Daniel's Recording
Tom Wysocki
Hiking

It was hot! Sun came out when we got to Indian Garden. The hike to Plateau Point was basically a relatively flat desert hike with total sun exposure. However the views when we reached PP made it worth it. Spectacular! It was basically 100° for the rest of the hike from IG to the trail head. Just took our time and didn’t hurry!

View Tom's Recording
Tim Snoddy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 4, 2020
HikingGreat!No shadeRocky

The trail is wonderfully maintained and marked, so no need to worry about navigation. There are bathroom and water checkpoints every 1.5 miles. Originally I thought the checkpoints seemed excessive, it’s just out and back for 12 miles right? Well I was wrong, have enough water containers for around 2-3 liters per 1.5 miles (it’s probably better to refill as often as possible cause your stored water will get hot) especially for the trek between the Indian Garden campground and Plateau Point. This section is dangerously exposed and if you don’t go very early in the morning or in a cool season, you will have extreme sun exposure. I would also recommend face/neck coverings and a decent moisture wicking shirt for this trail as there is a lot of dust and as tempting as a tank top is in the heat, the Sun will get to you fast. Aside from being very intense from the climate, this trail is absolutely awesome and the views are breathtaking!

Amy Hammar
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 30, 2020
Hiking

awesome views- very hot for the 1.5 miles out to the plateau. restrooms & water st the 1.5 mile. 3 mile & 4.5 mile mark. out & back challenging trail.

View Amy's Recording
Joshua Chessmore
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 29, 2020
Hiking

2.5 hours down and 2.5 hours coming up. One stop for water on the way down and up.

View Joshua's Recording
Ryan Piette
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 22, 2020
HikingGreat!

Getting down to Indian springs very easy. To plateau very exposed, be aware of your time in the sun. We decided to go down to the river after plateau. My buddy had a VERY tough time back up. Know your limits and drink plenty of water, sit in shade when you can. He does Camelback frequently and is in good shape. Beware the amount of distance and elevation the hike truly is. Especially with much of it being in the sun until 4pm Started 6 AM, 1.45 hr to plateau trail, 3-ish out to Colorado River - Indian springs 5-6 back to rim (frequent stops) Suggested: solid hiking boots, lots of water, long sleeve sun shirt, hat/bandana to keep wet. All in all spectacular views at plateau and at the Colorado River. Look out for goats

View Ryan's Recording
Monica Lomas
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 20, 2020
Hiking

Started my hike around 2:30pm. It was great going down in the shade. Tbh, I didn’t think the view was going to be all that great but wow... it was spectacular. Got there around 5:50pm and I was by myself pretty much the whole way there. Now my journey back is a different story. Started heading back around 6:30pm. When I passed the Indian Garden I heard a rattle noise. Maybe near the ranger station? I used a rock to determine where the noise was coming from and then I noticed the rattle snake. Waited until it was safe enough to pass and then started hiking up again. Came across 4 scorpions (wasn’t a big deal) but FYI. Then as I was reaching the top I noticed glowing eyes. Figured it was a deer but I still went around it as best as possible. Continued up. Then I noticed another set of glowing eyes near the end. Tried to use a rock to scare it but it didn’t do much. Winded up waiting almost an hour for it to pass. I highly recommend bringing a flash light to see what animals are on the trail. My headlamp couldn’t look pass the eyes without getting too close.

Caleb Bennett
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 17, 2020
Hiking

Hiked 8/16/20 Such a good trail, if you’re up for the challenge! One of the hardest hikes I’ve ever done, but still felt great after finishing. Pace yourself on the way up. We started this trail at 7am, and finished around 1:30p. Total actual hiking time was around 6hrs, maybe a tad over. Distance was a little over 13 miles round trip. Can’t stress enough that starting early is a necessity, maybe even around 5am to beat the heat. First half of trail will be shaded due to sun being behind the canyon. 3,450ft of elevation change. Indian Gardens (right at the base) to Plateau Point is 1.5mi one way. If you get to Indian gardens, do the extra 3 miles to the point, it is WELL worth the view. They do have water stations every 1.5miles or so, but still, bring more water than you think. I’d also recommend some gatorades and snacks (clif bars, fruit, etc.). By the end of the hike I went through nearly 7 liters of liquid

Bethany Koss
HikingGreat!

The trail was very well maintained and easy to walk.. the hard part was how steep it was in places and being out in the heat coming back up. The view from Plateau Point is breathtaking and the view during the hike as well is beautiful- I took way too many pictures! Met a lot of nice people along the way. There are rest areas with water and bathrooms at every 1 1/2 mi but still good to bring your own water.. I drank 3 vitamin waters and 3 reg waters and probably could have drank more- my husband and a friend drank even more water and Gatorade.. stay hydrated and leave early! We left right at 6 am to miss the heat, but coming back up it was very hot and took multiple rest breaks.. It is a very good trail and worth the hike!

Jeff Baker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 31, 2020
HikingGreat!

hiked down to Plateau Point and it is tough, but the payoff that the bottom was worth it!

View Jeff's Recording
Sarah Townsend
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 27, 2020
Hiking

Breath taking views and a very well kept trail. There are bathrooms and water every 1.5 miles which is very convenient. My boyfriend and I started around 5:30 am and it took us 2 hours to reach Plateau Point at a jogging pace. We stopped a few times for water along the way too. On our way back up, it took us about 2.5-3 hours at a steady pace. We made quick stops for water but wanted to beat the heat. There was plenty of shade along the way but you definitely need to bring lots of water. The trek back up is a tough one but the views are completely worth it.

Nicola Gnecco
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 27, 2020
Hiking

Trail wasn’t too bad. Started at 4:15 am and took a little over 2 hours to get to the plateau point and just over four hours to get back to the rim. Views were top notch but the donkey dropping ruined parts of the trail. Water was available at all the water stops including at plateau point.

View Nicola's Recording
Zack Quilty
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 24, 2020
Hiking

You are allowed to hike the trail at night and boy would I recommend it. Went down 3 hours prior to sunset and got to watch the most sunset I’ve ever seen all by myself. The hike up isn’t bad at all with a single headlamp and you also get to see some of the most clear skies imaginable. Not to mention that most of the heat has passed.

View Zack's Recording
Michaela Leffingwell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 23, 2020
Hiking

This trail was nothing short of spectacular. Plateau Point is absolutely worth the extra 1.5 miles (3 miles altogether) to hike past Indian Gardens. I’ve never seen a more beautiful spot in my life. We made it down from the rim in 2 hours and it took 2 hours and 40 minutes to get back up. It is definitely challenging but it is way less steep than South Kaibab to Skeleton Point. We started at 2:30pm, ate lunch at Plateau point, and ended just at sunset at 7:40. It was nice and shaded on our way back up and we got caught in pouring rain for twenty minutes, so if you are hiking during the summer, I recommend bringing a waterproof bag for your phone! We saw a family of 9 mountain goats and a family of deer. This was all around the best hike I have been on so far!

Cheyenne Fitzsimons
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 20, 2020
HikingNo shade

Great trail and beautiful views on the way and at Plateau Point. We started at 5am and got to plateau point just before 8 which was great it was pleasant going down! The sun broke through the clouds and it started to heat up after we got back to Indian Gardens. It was really hot as we got back up to the 3 mile point, definitely lots of water and gatorade and food. I saw some people recommending starting midday so you’re coming back up as the sun goes behind the wall but I can’t imagine that would cool down much and be better. I was glad we started early morning and got done midday.

Kirstyn Rowen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 19, 2020
Hiking

Took me under 2hrs to get 2.8 mi, starting around 10:30a. The way back up was FAR more difficult and took me over 3 hrs. Gorgeous views, make sure to bring enough water and fill up at the 1.5 mi rest point on the way down AND back!!

View Kirstyn's Recording
Jack Amory
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 12, 2020
Hiking

Absolutely stunning hike. Started at 5:15 AM and the trail was empty. Arrived at Plateau Point by 8:30 and only had to share it with the condors and the rock squirrels. Finished up the hike by 12:15. It was hot on the way back up so plan accordingly and take plenty of breaks if you choose to start in the AM.

View Jack's Recording
Andrew Peterson
Hiking

Views were beautiful all the way down. You don’t do the trail justice, if you don’t make it to Plateau Point. Looked at a lot of the Reviews and the most useful was not doing the hike until about 11:30AM-Noon. Leaving later in day allows the sun to go behind the west wall on the extremely strenuous walk back out of the canyon. Water every 1.5 mi which made it bearable in 105 degree weather. Highly recommend.