Pine Creek Loop And Ballantine Trail

Pine Creek Loop And Ballantine Trail is a 6.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Fountain Hills, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Nice trail once you get away from the highway. Definitely take the trail to the left unless you want a pretty hard workout.

This is my go to work out loop! I start to the right. Great views. If you have extra time continue on the trail pass the loop sign and the views just get better.

I thought this was a great hike! If you're doing the loop I would start with the trailhead on the right if you're looking for more of a work out, as the trailhead on the left is gentler. It's also really nice to come down after you've worked your buns off to gain the elevation! Awesome views. We continued the trail beyond where the loop turns back for a little while and we're really happy we did. Highly recommend!

It's strange that this trail description doesn't encompass the premier feature in the area which is the Cline Cabin just on the other side of the ridge beyond where this trail description ends. That "side" trip adds another 2 miles and well worth the trip.

This is a fun trail for hiking but it should be noted that the deteriorating granite breaks down into little ball-bearing like gravel that makes the trail a little slippery, even for foot traffic. I don't really understand why several people said they got lost. The trail, especially as described, is pretty much impossible to get lost as the path is well-defined.

I rated this trail for horseback riding. The Ballantine trailhead designates the trail as horse-friendly but that isn't so. The narrowly rutted granite trail is really hard for horses to navigate. I completed it on my horse, going all the way to the cabin, but not without my horse suffering several nicks and cuts.

I haven’t hiked in 8months. So I wanted to get back into hiking shape again. I choose this trail and I thought it would be easy. I hiked from the trail head to boulder flats. Views were great and the amount of quiet time was excellent while hiking mostly up hill. I had a great time out there. I just wish I was in better shape to go further.

Friday, March 10, 2017

This is a fun little loop trail. It's close to the Phoenix area and has some pretty incredible views from the top of the hill. Pine Creek was running strong when I went which made the 2nd half of this really nice as well. The trail up the hill is narrow and was in rough shape and really washed out in some places but it won't stop you from enjoying yourself. The Pine Creek portion of the trail is in better shape and made for a fun downhill romp. I went on a Thursday evening and didn't see another person on the trail the whole time.

Sunday, December 11, 2016

Nice little afternoon trail.

rock climbing
Sunday, July 10, 2016

I did the longer part of this trail, heading further east a few miles past the 1.5 mile marker (did most of the 14.5 mile loop). Once you get up to the beginning of the actual Boulder Flats area the trail is worn and poorly maintained. They let cattle run around there so you end up getting confused quite easily (especially if you stray off even a few hundred feet).

DO NOT do the 14.5 mile loop during the summer unless you have ample sun protection and PLENTY of water (something I didn't do, haha). I can easily imagine older persons or unfit individuals succumbing to the heat. There is no breeze for the greater part of the summer months and it's low altitude. You'll be getting valley heat.

I actually ended up getting totally lost, having to scale the giant boulder-encrusted hills. Was fun, but probably almost died from heat stroke (109 F, hehe).

I recommend Barnhardt trail instead. It's a harder trail but far more varied in terrain. You won't be missing much here at Ballantine, unfortunately.

Saturday, April 04, 2015

kind of a long drive from Phoenix. Fun trail but it is very narrow. the loop is an easy hike of about 3 miles. Half way through the loop there are 3 additional trails ranging from 3 to 11 miles.

Wednesday, December 03, 2014

I only did the loop, and my goodness - this trail was HARD to find! Half the time I was just following people's footprints hoping I was on the right path! But the view was great and the hike wasn't too difficult.

Friday, April 07, 2017