Learn more

Piestewa (Squaw) Peak via Freedom Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(104)
Phoenix Mountain Preserve

Piestewa (Squaw) Peak via Freedom Trail is a 1.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Paradise Valley, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 1.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,135 feet Route Type: Out & Back

done this hike multiple times, it has a beautiful veiw, a fun trail.

Great challenging hike!!

Great trail. Views of Phoenix where breath taking. Definitely need water. We started at 11 and it would have been smarter on our end to start earlier. Will definitely hike again.

Beware of snakes! I was unable to come down the same side of the mountain I went up, and ended up having to walk a mile back to my car once I got down the other side of the mountain.

Very crowded trail. Me and my brother made it to the peak in about 30 minutes. Good challenge but not too difficult.

I will start by admitting that I am not in the best shape. And saying that we are from NY, and therefore not accustomed to this kind of elevation. I will say, I have no idea how anyone is making it up and back in 1.5 hours. I am 5’3” and had consistent issues with the rock steps being so high that I had to use my hands and climb, because stepping would lift my leg up to chest height. We didn’t even get 100% to the peak because we timed it based on other people’s information, and were unable to get to the top before it got too dark to be safe coming down. If you’re going to be coming down in the dark, a headlight is a must. Between the steep rocks and the gravel/loose stones, it is not the safest trip down. I did see people who were obviously comfortable, but for a beginner hiker unused to big rock heights and thinner air, this was quite difficult.

This was my first attempt and I made it to the top. Next time hope to beat my time.

Definitely park at the end of 23rd street to hike up!

Tough! Worth it. Took us 2.5 hours in and out. Views are amazing. Will likely do again.

I was with some other people, so we went a lot slower than I'm used to, especially coming down. And I was too busy chatting, So we accidentally went off trail, but it's a fun hike. Done it several times before, always pretty busy. Always beautiful and well maintained.

Thu Jun 20 2019

This is a great trail for early morning during the summer! I only passed one other hiker until the trail met with the more direct trial to the peak. Then there were all sorts of people going to the top.

Wed Jun 05 2019

Wed May 29 2019

Thanks to the comments below, the tip about 23rd street saved the day. Love this version of the trail way better than the traditional trail. WAY less traffic on the Freedom Trail leg of the journey.

Wed Mar 27 2019

My first trip up the hill with BOBBY ZAVALA!!! Was a great time of fellowship and exercise! Beautiful 5:30 start and a great view from the top!

Thu Feb 28 2019

The commenter below saved us with the tip on parking. We also parked at the end of 23rd street and followed the gravel path to the trail. We took the trail until it intersected with the summit trail which we took to the top. There are bees at the top just FYI if you're allergic.

Wed Jan 09 2019

I did this as a night hike and it gave a great view of the lights of the city at night.