New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Piestewa (Squaw) Peak via Freedom Trail

Piestewa (Squaw) Peak via Freedom Trail is a 1.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Paradise Valley, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 1.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,135 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Definitely park at the end of 23rd street to hike up!

Tough! Worth it. Took us 2.5 hours in and out. Views are amazing. Will likely do again.

I was with some other people, so we went a lot slower than I'm used to, especially coming down. And I was too busy chatting, So we accidentally went off trail, but it's a fun hike. Done it several times before, always pretty busy. Always beautiful and well maintained.

This is a great trail for early morning during the summer! I only passed one other hiker until the trail met with the more direct trial to the peak. Then there were all sorts of people going to the top.

Thanks to the comments below, the tip about 23rd street saved the day. Love this version of the trail way better than the traditional trail. WAY less traffic on the Freedom Trail leg of the journey.

My first trip up the hill with BOBBY ZAVALA!!! Was a great time of fellowship and exercise! Beautiful 5:30 start and a great view from the top!

The commenter below saved us with the tip on parking. We also parked at the end of 23rd street and followed the gravel path to the trail. We took the trail until it intersected with the summit trail which we took to the top. There are bees at the top just FYI if you're allergic.

Wed Jan 09 2019

I did this as a night hike and it gave a great view of the lights of the city at night.

Thu Oct 11 2018

Ended up parking at the end of N. 23rd rather than where this map shows as where the map shows you’d have to walk through someone’s back yard. At the end of 23rd there is a gravel path that leads up towards the trail. Hard to find the trail and not well marked on this side of Piestewa but we managed. Very strenuous and difficult due to how steep this hike is. It did not get crowded till we got up where the trail comes in from the other side with the main TH. Very crowded at this time on a Sunday night. Hiked from 4:30-6:30 with a long break for a gorgeous sunset about 1/3rd of the way down the peak.

Mon Feb 05 2018