Piestewa (Squaw) Peak and Freedom Loop Trail

Piestewa (Squaw) Peak and Freedom Loop Trail is a 4.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

rock climbing

Many hikers head for the hills in search of solitude, but if you're planning to hike to the summit of Piestewa Peak you'd do better to bring with you your community spirit - this is a very busy trail. Hikers, walkers, sightseers and runners alike flock to this prominent peak like moths to a flame, drawn here in part because of it proximity to the city of Phoenix. Despite the crowds this mountain can still be a lot of fun, especially when you extend your adventure along the much less travelled Circumference Trail which traces a flanking route around the mountain. Parking is a challenge, as is understanding the parking restrictions that prevail. Please note the entrance to the parking lot closes at 7pm. The Park does not close until 11pm.

moderate? it is just as bad as the "hard" summit trail. this trail has a lot of steep rocky area with a lot of slick rocks. so many switchbacks.

Amazing

Some friends of mine convinced my to do this hike with them and being the good friend I am I agreed... Moderate is probably right for the loop around Piestewa but it is definitely hard on the way up. It’s pretty steep and tiring on the legs. I workout 5 days a week and was pretty tired getting close to the top. Great experience with great company! I would do it again :)

Up...and up...and up you go! Great trail but not a lot of shade and very warm in the sun.

Really fun trail!!

Good for Hiking!!

I love to run piestewa “squaw peak” trail to the summit seal and meditate.

Great hike, no shade anywhere though so lots of water necessary!

#302 is much more difficult than Pinnacle Peak but it's rated the same, moderate. I loved it but I just think it's not quite appropriately rated. NO SHADE on this trail either.

Beautiful views.

One of good hiking spots in Phoenix. High elevation. Currently road work is in progress, so there is little trouble in parking, otherwise there are two parking areas available. total distance 1.03 miles it takes approx 35 mins for an average hiker to reach the top and 25 mins to come back to starting point. Best spot to view sun rise...

Very trail indeed
I saw a Kit Fox Saturday when hiking it
It was awesome

I give credit to Squaw Peak for my new interest in hiking! I'm in great health but could be in better physical condition but I still managed the hike just fine! It was challenging, beautiful and the views at the top were spectacular! I went VERY EARLY in the morning, made sure I was well hydrated and went at my pace. There were a lot of folks who obviously go regularly for a workout!. August 17, 2017

Favorite hike close to home!

Piestewa is like being on a stair climber for 30 minutes - spectacular views at the top then doing the loop is a great way to finish this hike. I would def do it again

Excellent natural stair master! Make sure you do the 302 loop!

Heavily trafficked but great for sunset

Ran some of this trail. Good trail good elevation not to crazy.