Piestewa (Squaw) Peak and Freedom Loop Trail

Piestewa (Squaw) Peak and Freedom Loop Trail is a 4.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

rock climbing

Many hikers head for the hills in search of solitude, but if you're planning to hike to the summit of Piestewa Peak you'd do better to bring with you your community spirit - this is a very busy trail. Hikers, walkers, sightseers and runners alike flock to this prominent peak like moths to a flame, drawn here in part because of it proximity to the city of Phoenix. Despite the crowds this mountain can still be a lot of fun, especially when you extend your adventure along the much less travelled Circumference Trail which traces a flanking route around the mountain. Parking is a challenge, as is understanding the parking restrictions that prevail. Please note the entrance to the parking lot closes at 7pm. The Park does not close until 11pm.

Parking is the only bummer.

This is a great training hike!

Our group from Gold Canyon AZ chose to hike the loop counter clockwise (about 3 miles), and then climb to Piestewa Peaks via the summit trail last so we could take a long lunch break before heading back to the parking area.

Perfect to skip leg day

Steep, rocky, and narrow in parts. Definitely a difficult trail but doable. the views from the top are worth it. Go early to beat the crowds - a highly trafficked trail.

Very pretty hike, but should be rated hard. About half of it is steep switchbacks.

I hiked counterclockwise so I would be on the sunny side earlier in the day. Fun desert trail around the peak with great scenery but in town too. Tough climbs. I would estimate 25% level or close to level hiking, and 75% up and downs. Not so crowded early, but extremely crowded later and going to the peak. Mostly hikers, a few runners, no bikers.

Really good workout up Piestewa and added miles with the Freedom lop.
First time there so at first didn’t realize how many parking lots are available if you just keep on driving.

Love this trail. Way more challenging out than back.

Quick hike in town! 35-40 minuets up 30 down. Bathrooms and easy parking. Few lizards spotted and well fed squirrels. Strenuous enough to qualify as a cardio workout.

The loop trail and the summit hike are both quite demanding, but each will reward with wonderful high vantage point views. I found both to be gratifying hikes, and appreciated the physical challenge of the surprisingly steep inclines that both trails offer. There is no shade whatsoever, so bring appropriate clothing and lots of water. This is a very memorable, but fairly difficult trail.

great hike with a view from the top. worth climbing the extra trails for the top point view

Nice hike, few people on the loop though the trail to the summit is crowded. Parking is difficult on weekends.

moderate? it is just as bad as the "hard" summit trail. this trail has a lot of steep rocky area with a lot of slick rocks. so many switchbacks.

Amazing

Some friends of mine convinced my to do this hike with them and being the good friend I am I agreed... Moderate is probably right for the loop around Piestewa but it is definitely hard on the way up. It’s pretty steep and tiring on the legs. I workout 5 days a week and was pretty tired getting close to the top. Great experience with great company! I would do it again :)

Up...and up...and up you go! Great trail but not a lot of shade and very warm in the sun.

Really fun trail!!

Good for Hiking!!

I love to run piestewa “squaw peak” trail to the summit seal and meditate.

Great hike, no shade anywhere though so lots of water necessary!

#302 is much more difficult than Pinnacle Peak but it's rated the same, moderate. I loved it but I just think it's not quite appropriately rated. NO SHADE on this trail either.

Beautiful views.

One of good hiking spots in Phoenix. High elevation. Currently road work is in progress, so there is little trouble in parking, otherwise there are two parking areas available. total distance 1.03 miles it takes approx 35 mins for an average hiker to reach the top and 25 mins to come back to starting point. Best spot to view sun rise...

Very trail indeed
I saw a Kit Fox Saturday when hiking it
It was awesome

I give credit to Squaw Peak for my new interest in hiking! I'm in great health but could be in better physical condition but I still managed the hike just fine! It was challenging, beautiful and the views at the top were spectacular! I went VERY EARLY in the morning, made sure I was well hydrated and went at my pace. There were a lot of folks who obviously go regularly for a workout!. August 17, 2017

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Favorite hike close to home!

Wednesday, August 09, 2017

Piestewa is like being on a stair climber for 30 minutes - spectacular views at the top then doing the loop is a great way to finish this hike. I would def do it again