Piestewa (Squaw) Peak and Freedom Loop Trail

Piestewa (Squaw) Peak and Freedom Loop Trail is a 4.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 4.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,735 feet Route Type: Loop

rock climbing

Many hikers head for the hills in search of solitude, but if you're planning to hike to the summit of Piestewa Peak you'd do better to bring with you your community spirit - this is a very busy trail. Hikers, walkers, sightseers and runners alike flock to this prominent peak like moths to a flame, drawn here in part because of it proximity to the city of Phoenix. Despite the crowds this mountain can still be a lot of fun, especially when you extend your adventure along the much less travelled Circumference Trail which traces a flanking route around the mountain. Parking is a challenge, as is understanding the parking restrictions that prevail. Please note the entrance to the parking lot closes at 7pm. The Park does not close until 11pm.

Great hike. It’s more challenging than I thought it would be. Reminds me of a lesser difficulty than flat iron. People on the trail were great. I went on Labor Day and even at 6 am I couldn’t find parking so I’m not sure how the weekends are but I parked in this neighborhood about a quarter mile from the trail entrance. (Do not park in the neighborhood where it says no parking. There is one not too far from that one without any “no parking” signs). The last 10 minutes of the trail are brutal so just keep in mind to save some gas for that part.

Well marked trail, up hill the entire time. If you have bad knees I wouldn’t recommend to do this hike.

At 113 degrees at 5pm when I started, it was Brutal.

Great hike! Requires many breaks along the way up, busy trail on weekends. Limited parking. The top is narrow and rocky, so there’s not enough room to sit down and relax. Gorgeous view though. Watch out for those squirrels at the top, they’re feisty for food.

Very busy!

Loose rock, bring plenty of water. Great views from the peak!

Great but hot bring water!

Lot of cobbly loose rock on Freedom loop but ok hike. Summit trail is really steep at top, needed to do a bit of climbing. Great views.

4.9 mile hike. Parking is limited but they are currently adding a new parking area. We walked counterclockwise from the last parking lot. Trail around the mountain is loose rock and fairly easy for anyone that hikes. The trail up to the summit is a combination of rock steps and stable rock. Best best is get there early and never go on a weekend unless you want to wait and go slow because of the traffic. Multiple peaks and a great view of downtown Phx and the Glendale stadium. Watch out for the rouge squirrel, he tried to grab trash out of my backpack with me 3 ft away.

The overcast made this hike a breeze. Only one person from my meet up showed up, but we had good conversation. Made the hike in pretty good time.

Great climb!

I hiked 1/2 mile up the Summit Trail #300. There was a sign that showed Freedom Trail #302 to the left, down the mountain side. A beautiful 4 mile trail that has lots of beautiful scenery. Up and down draws and onto the side of the mountain. It finally goes up to a saddle and down the front side of the mountain. Not much traffic. Did come upon a juvenile rattler crossing my trail and making noises at me. I really enjoyed the variety of terrain on this trail. A few places where there were steps but nothing akin to the summit trail. I’ll be back to hike this one again!

Did a little bit of the 304 Freedom Trail today. First time in months!

Did the summit first, and then did the loop clockwise. The views at the summit where pretty, but personally, I think the views at camelback are better, however this trail had less people (but still a bit crowded.) Lots of people on the summit portion of the trail (for obvious reasons) but I felt like the only one out there during the loop which was nice. An overall decent hike. When I hiked this trail, there was lots of construction going on, so parking was a little difficult. I went at 5:30 AM, and the parking lot was already at capacity. I had to park on the street. Lots of people opt to hike the summit in the dark and watch the sunrise at the top, so if you want to get decent parking, go early!

Did the summit first, and then did the loop clockwise. The views at the summit where pretty, but personally, I think the views at camelback are better. Lots of people on the summit portion of the trail (for obvious reasons) but I felt like the only one out there during the loop which was nice. An overall decent hike. When I hiked this trail, there was lots of construction going on, so parking was a little difficult. I went at 5:30 AM, and the parking lot was already at capacity. I had to park on the street. Lots of people opt to hike the summit in the dark and watch the sunrise at the top, so if you want to get decent parking, go early!

The hike to peak was really crowded but the loop was nice. Total hike was 5.4 miles and 1912 elevation according to Apple Watch

one of my favorite hiking spots

Great hike with a 360 view at the summit. It can be steep in areas but we still managed the hike with carrying a 2 year old in our carrier. Bring water!

Rocky loop trail, not very scenic. But good elevation hike and workout. Carry water

I’d recommend this trail. I did it at night at a steady pace and it was fairly difficult. Definitely bring a flashlight/head light! Great views!

Trail was a great workout. Especially near the end it turns into a long, steep staircase kind of hike which isn’t my preferred kind of hike. 360 view of the city on the peak

a good hike

I loved this hike. Firat time in AZ, first morning in AZ and I picked this baby.