Piestewa Peak Summit Trail #300

HARD 1,223 reviews

Piestewa Peak Summit Trail #300 is a 1.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from October until March.

Hikers, walkers, sightseers and runners alike flock to this prominent peak like moths to a flame, drawn here in part because of it proximity to the city of Phoenix. Despite the crowds this mountain can still be a lot of fun, offering as it does a short but taxing climb and many great views along the short route.

Difficult but enjoyed lot

I’m very sorry to be writing this review, especially about such a beautiful trail that is so accessible right at the center of Phoenix.

The hike unto itself is great: a good workout, beautiful scenery, and amazing city views. The thing that ruins this hike is the people. It is understandably busy, being in the middle of the city and all. Nonetheless, a large contingency of this mountain’s hikers are constantly so rude. I’ve hiked this hike four times in the past year and a half. Unlike every other hike I’ve ever hiked, people on this mountain yell at one another to get out of the way, trail runners nip at your heels, and people blare music on portable speakers despite signs telling you to use your headphones. Of course there are plenty of friendly people, but sadly the bad outweighs the good to the point that I’ll sadly never hike this hike again.

If you’re looking for a similarly tough hike, try Camelback. If you’re looking for another hike in the area, try literally any other hike in Phoenix Mountains Preserve. They’re all beautiful with far friendlier people.

Loved it!

Second time I’ve done this and I have to say I was pretty underwhelmed. It’s pretty much like walking up paved stairs most of the hike. The crowds are insane and people seem to have no hiking etiquette at all. Not even that attractive of scenery on this mountain, so I don’t get what the hype is all about. The view at the top is nice- if you can find a square foot of space for yourself to enjoy it. This hike was not difficult at all, I’d say it was barely moderately difficult. It’s not a hike I will come back to.

Didn’t make it all the way up, a little too much for this novice, but continued along the moderate freedom trail on the shady side of the mountain to finish off...which was also a challenge. Start early and bring twice as much water as you think you need. Parking fills up early on my weekend visit (like before 7am)

Great way to wake up in the morning. The crowds are no joke. At 6:30 am I barely got a parking spot. It was steep, but a good hike.

Started the hike right before sunrise. Recommend going early to avoid the crowds. Up and down in about an hour and ten minutes. Rugged uphill trail, but limited rock climbing. Go all the way up. Great views.

Moderate to difficult hike....hard on the knees coming down if you have bad knees! The view from the top is excellent! But if you're afraid of heights, you may want avoid the very top. Plenty of resting spots and some shade. Very busy trail on the weekends and parking spaces are limited. Weekday early mornings are busy but moderate during the weekday afternoons. Bring some healthy snacks to enjoy when you reach the top! We like to bring a blanket and sit up there for a while to enjoy the view and some fresh fruit. Happy hiking!

Tough trail/excellent workout-avoid during hot months,(May through October)

I did the Piestewa peak summit trail. I was actually very disappointed in this trail. The entire trail up the mountain is just stairs and stairs. The scenery was just more stairs. The trail was very man made and even had railings at certain spots. This also should be rated easy to moderate. If stairs give your knees problems then it’s moderate, otherwise it’s easy. I should have just went to the gym and did the stair master for an hour. It says no dog allowed, but everyone brings their dogs.

We usually do North Park but decided to do this one to have a challenge. We went Monday to cut down on the weekend crowd but at about in 9:30/10 am it was already really busy. The hike itself was nothing too hard. There are a ton of places to rest and most of the incline is fairly gradual... no real sharp vertical areas except at the very top. In all honesty I do not feel this trail is nearly as difficult as most of the reviews on here say, and the traffic through the area is bad enough i want to say the view isn't really worth it. I went all the way to the summit as a personal goal and im glad I did it once but.... I wont be taking this trial again for quite a while.

We got there around 9 and waited about 10 min. for a parking spot. But we planned on that and used the time to apply sunscreen. I would suggest this hike for those who consider themselves athletic. There were many people we watched go part way and then have to turn around feeling defeated. In my personally opinion the view from the top was not tons better than part way up but for me it was more about the accomplishment of making it to the top. At the top it is not flat like Camelback. It is much like the rocks you are climbing up to get there so it is hard to find a comfortable place to sit or lay. Climbing this trail is like going up stairs the whole time. I would suggest a stairmaster to train for this if desired. It is a great pretty quick workout. Be sure to wear well fitting shoes. I thought mine were till I was on the way down and my toes were pressing into the end of my shoes. Be sure to bring water.

Great hike went this morning. Had beautiful weather and great views. Was mild traffic not too bad just make sure to start by 9 on the way down was getting a little crowded. Also bring the right shoes very rocky terrain. Overall I enjoyed this hike and would do it again.

go up to the top , then come back down to the half way point. then run the back side all the way around to the front parking lot.

only did it 11 times in a row , in 13 hrs .

It was a very difficult trail towards the summit. It was totally worth the climb, and I felt very accomplished after the climb.

Respectable short hike but too much traffic and not much variation along the way.

Nice hike with great views of Phoenix at the top!

very exciting hike the top is scary but so worth it its an amazing view and my favorite hike in the area so far definitely worth your time

Took a lot of breaks during the hike but it was totally worth it! Not recommended for inexperienced hikers. Will definitely do it again.

Love it ... great challenge and beautiful views.

This is always the place I use to introduce family visitors to hiking. Looks easier than it is, but beautiful views every step of the way.

Only giving it four stars because of how crowded it was - we went on a weekend, but would recommend either going very early or during the week. The hike itself is tough, with steep (but short) climbs. May not be suitable for those who have height/vertigo issues, but the view at the top is well worth the climb! Bring water and be prepared to navigate the crowds

Pretty short hike, but a great workout. Went in the afternoon on a Sunday, fairly crowded but not unbearable. Got to the top in just over 30 minutes, if I lived here would definitely return and try and improve my time. Really accessible from downtown Phoenix (I biked over) and great views at the top. Would love to go again either at sunrise or sunset.

Go before sunset. There is nothing more beautiful than seeing the sunset & then the lights of the city. Absolutely breathtaking. It is definitely a very populated trail and people are not always polite. But the view from the top is 100% worth it. Also, go all the way to the top - you can do it. For an avid hiker I would say this is easy-moderate (go at least an hour before sunset). Otherwise I would say hard for a beginner (go at least 1.5hrs before sunset). Try to beat your time every time you go! I'm at about 30 minutes up. If you go at night you should be fine with the flashlight on your phone but you can bring a headlamp if that makes you feel better. You can do by yourself or with friends. If you have trouble parking, just park in the neighborhoods as the trailhead is not too far.

Would be 5 stars if not so crowded. Don't attempt on weekends!

Kicked my Arse! Awesome incline workout! Took me one hour up/one hour down. Nice snack and views on the peak! One of the hardest hikes I’ve done....right up there with Camelback Cholla Trail and Sunrise Peak!

I'm from Utah and was in Arizona for a business trip. I had some free time in the morning and decided to do this hike. It was crowded and tricky to find a parking spot, but once I got going it was amazing. Beautiful view of Phoenix at the top, good excersize, and a short quick hike. Definitely recommend it.

Trail will test your limits. Make sure you hydrate the night prior. Get some

A classic and great mid week hike. I still prefer Camelback.