Piestewa Peak Summit Trail #300

HARD 1,323 reviews

Piestewa Peak Summit Trail #300 is a 2.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from October until March.

Hikers, walkers, sightseers and runners alike flock to this prominent peak like moths to a flame, drawn here in part because of it proximity to the city of Phoenix. Despite the crowds this mountain can still be a lot of fun, offering as it does a short but taxing climb and many great views along the short route.

Great work out. Amazing environment! Friendly fellow hikers!

It may be perfect for kids but I was there at 545am and it looked like a shopping mall. Phoenix has lots of other locations unless you have kids go there.

Good workout. Nice views of the city.

Pretty easy to be honest if you've hiked Camelback. Stairs pretty much the whole time besides the beginning, steep in most areas. Good hike, very pretty at top. Up and down in 1.5 hours.

Great hike for leg day!!! It’s pretty crowded so get there early if you want a good spot close to the trail!

Challenging hike with beautiful views.

What a beautiful, challenging trail overlooking Phoenix and the surrounding mountains. The fellow hikers were some of the friendliest I’ve encountered.

This is a great hike if your just looking for leg day which is cool but it’s a little short and overly designed for my taste. Very intense incline and worth while view at the top

Beautiful hike. Great trail for a steady incline run.

Perfect morning hike. I always get a good breeze at the top, no matter the time of day or month. I love it.
Stay along trail, anything else is unsafe. Plenty of water if starting late, you exhaust easily because it's so steep.

Great views of the city, and challenging vertical hike

Great trail. Love the views from the top. See if you can find the helicopter landing area off of the switchback portion of the trail.

I think this is a much more enjoyable hike than Camelback. Still a beast but terrain is more consistent.

Started at 6:30 and took 48oz of water. It wasn’t enough. I could have used 64. That said the climb is tough but worth it at the top. I was slowest guy on the trail I think. I saw one guy who was running it and did it twice at least. It is very busy. You are never out of sight of people. I met an 83 year old who has been doing it for 43 years.

Great workout for a hike! It basically stairs all the way to the top. An incline and elevation gain of a little over 1,000ft! Beautiful views of the valley day and night. It’s a favorite spot!

Totally doable in late afternoon or evening to avoid the hazards of mid day sunshine

Lots of steps; not overly technical.

A very busy trail, but rewarding for a newbie like me. The view was definitely worth the struggle to the top. Won't be doing it again for quite some time, but I am glad I did it.

Hands down my favorite trail, when it’s not busy. I was pretty frustrated today with the amount of people that were rude and not adhering to simple hiking rules. A lot of people were playing loud music.

However, it’s amazing. So beautiful. My therapy without the cost. I would pick this over almost any hike in the valley...but only at sunset. It’s the most beautiful place to watch the sunset. You have enough time to get down in the twilight.

Make sure to wear shoes that don’t hurt your toes on a decline.

My reason for loving this is there are a lot of beautiful stops to relax and also a solid amount of shade. It’s a good 10 degrees cooler at the top.

A bit to busy for us. People were listening to music on speakers and running up and down. Started the walk at 6am and it took us an hour to get to the top with stops. Lots of hummingbirds near the top. I wouldn’t say the hike is hard it’s moderate, right at the top it’s rock climbing for about two meters.

I consider myself a beginner hiker still..although I completed this mountain 2 times before a couple of years ago..this mountain challenged everything i thought I knew about hiking mixed with the heat and the sun beaming down on me i def. had to push through. People you encounter on this mountain are also friendly..encouraging you to keep going and making sure you have enough water..

Beautiful for a sunrise!

Great hike, difficult for a fat boy but the crowds of hikers are friendly and encouraging. Good views but mostly did it for the accomplishment and was well worth it. If attempting in summer, bring buckets of water.

Difficult but enjoyed lot

I’m very sorry to be writing this review, especially about such a beautiful trail that is so accessible right at the center of Phoenix.

The hike unto itself is great: a good workout, beautiful scenery, and amazing city views. The thing that ruins this hike is the people. It is understandably busy, being in the middle of the city and all. Nonetheless, a large contingency of this mountain’s hikers are constantly so rude. I’ve hiked this hike four times in the past year and a half. Unlike every other hike I’ve ever hiked, people on this mountain yell at one another to get out of the way, trail runners nip at your heels, and people blare music on portable speakers despite signs telling you to use your headphones. Of course there are plenty of friendly people, but sadly the bad outweighs the good to the point that I’ll sadly never hike this hike again.

If you’re looking for a similarly tough hike, try Camelback. If you’re looking for another hike in the area, try literally any other hike in Phoenix Mountains Preserve. They’re all beautiful with far friendlier people.

Loved it!

Second time I’ve done this and I have to say I was pretty underwhelmed. It’s pretty much like walking up paved stairs most of the hike. The crowds are insane and people seem to have no hiking etiquette at all. Not even that attractive of scenery on this mountain, so I don’t get what the hype is all about. The view at the top is nice- if you can find a square foot of space for yourself to enjoy it. This hike was not difficult at all, I’d say it was barely moderately difficult. It’s not a hike I will come back to.

Didn’t make it all the way up, a little too much for this novice, but continued along the moderate freedom trail on the shady side of the mountain to finish off...which was also a challenge. Start early and bring twice as much water as you think you need. Parking fills up early on my weekend visit (like before 7am)

Great way to wake up in the morning. The crowds are no joke. At 6:30 am I barely got a parking spot. It was steep, but a good hike.