Piestewa Nature Trail 304 Loop

Piestewa Nature Trail 304 Loop is a 1.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Nice, quick walk/hike. It's set in between the mountains and hills so it's nice and peaceful, albeit a little hot.

On the 304 yesterday. Did the loop, starting on the east and looping around to the west. Th east wing is a little bit difficult, climbing steeply up a rocky trail until it reaches the top. At the top, there is a nice park bench for comfortable seating before heading on. Heading to the right, you can follow the 8 to the 8B, or eventually to the 100. I believe that is the way to 2 Bit Peak, where I have been a couple times, though not in the last couple of years. Heading to the left, you will traipse through the desert for a ways before you turn off onto the 1A or continue on the 304 and back to Squaw Peak Drive and parking. The 304 loop is only about 2 miles, but it leads to other much longer hikes. I have done 10 miles starting on the 304. Yesterday it hit 105 degrees and I went out at 1 pm, so I was definitely in it, but I was not alone. There were quite a few people out, most on the summit trail, but I saw some on my trail, too. At the end, I was asked for directions from father and daughter and I am pretty sure they did not have water. I had some to spare, and went back after them, but did not catch up. Hope they made it a short hike. The day started out sunny, but quickly turned cloudy and ended up overcast. Anyway, fun summer hike.

Super easy trail. Love this hike for days when I don’t have a ton of time but still want get in some cardio. Views are great and not too busy.

Great little in town walk/hike.

Great length and level of difficulty for four kids 5-11

It was a fine hike... marked well.

There’s no fee to access the park. The trails are marked exceptionally well. There’s bathrooms and good parking. This was a moderate hike for me. There was uphill and downhill in addition to flat. There was a large amount of loose rock so footing can be tricky. I took my small dog and he did well but by the end did not like the loose slate type rock. Recommend for anyone wanting a little bit of a challenge or for those active and fit, it’ll be a nice walk. I went on a weekday morning. The trail was moderately busy. I’ll definitely go back.

Great option for beginners. Scenic with signs pointing out different types of cacti. We learned it’s wise to have tweezers on hand. I somehow stepped on a piece of jumping cholla, which went straight through the bottom of my Nike shoe. No harm done, but I felt it— and had to pluck the needles one by one before we could continue on. (My first cholla experience since moving here 13 years ago!)

We really enjoyed his trail & it was easy to follow the whole way! It ended up being 1.54 miles for us. There are bathrooms right at the trailhead, it’s dog friendly (on a leash) & beautiful views!

For beginners this trail is amazing

I agree with other posts that this is not an easy trail but I am still am amateur hiker. I went counter clockwise thinking that would be easier as other posts suggested. I think it has steeper inclines that direction. Pretty rocky in begging and end. I will do it again when I am better shape!

Awesome, scenic mostly leisurely trail. Some uphill walking but the second half of the trail is very leisurely and mostly flat. Great scenic trail.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

I went hiking yesterday in the 113 degree heat. Bearable and manageable, so long as you have plenty of water and plenty of willpower! I went through a liter of water, and drank another liter when I got home. I went up the eastern leg of the Nature Trail (304), which is much more difficult than the western leg. I then swung over to the Perl Charles Memorial (1A) and around back to the Irregular Link (1C), which I climbed up and over the mountain and back to parking. I wasn't even alone out yesterday. I finished at about 6:30 in the evening, and there was somebody else going up the way I had just come down. There were also people climbing the summit trail as I drove out. The advantage to summer hiking is that the trails are mostly empty and you get some privacy. Just make sure you've got plenty of water!

Saturday, June 17, 2017

First did this trail when I was a child on a field trip from a nearby school. It was my introduction to the beauty that is Squaw Peak and the Phoenix Mountain Preserves. This should be one of the first trails to take people visiting from out of town. It's relatively easy and short. Just watch out for snakes and other wildlife.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Good for first timers

Tuesday, May 09, 2017

Somewhat of a beginner trail but you need to watch your step. Nice view of Phoenix!

Saturday, April 15, 2017

loved it!!!

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Took a nice little evening hike at Piestewa Peak Park tonight. Arrived at around 5:00 pm and left at around 6:30. The gates close at 7:00! Or so said the sign anyway. It was around 94 when I arrived, enough to raise a good sweat. There were lots of people out anyway. I took the 304 to the 1A (Perl Charles Memorial). to the top of the mountain, and then back down the 1A and back out the 304. The top of the mountain was only 2.034 feet, or about 600 under the summit, but not too bad. The 304 to the 1A actually offers some pretty challenging hiking if one continues to the Summit connector on the west side of the mountain, or, even worse, to trails end on the 1A. I did 1A trails end one day by mistake, and it wound up being 7+ miles of very difficult hiking. 1A to the Summit connector is not too bad. There were lots of flowers out today. The desert was abloom in yellow flowers, but I didn't see even one bee. Bees are critical to the ecology of the globe, but I am scared to death of killer bees so I would just as soon not see any while I am out hiking. Cactus season is coming up soon, too. Cacti will be flowering across the desert, creating a beautiful and breathtaking display from early summer to early fall. Trekking through the desert is fun and interesting on just about any day of the year.

Tuesday, March 07, 2017

Sunday, February 26, 2017

Not as "easy" as expected. Initial climb was fun for me NOT for my wife

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Would hike in reverse, to make it easier. some more casual hikers on the trail were complaining it shouldn't be rated as easy.

Sunday, February 12, 2017

If you are looking for a quick trail this is the one.

rock climbing
Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Great hike, took 45 min, Got the heart beating!

Tuesday, December 06, 2016

I have been on the Nature Trail quite a few times. It is also known as the 304, and it provides a convenient connector to several other trails, including the Freedom Trail (302), Perl Charles Memorial (1A), L.V. Yates (8), and the Ruth Hamilton (8B). The 304 begins and ends at Squaw Peak Drive and forms a 2 mile loop just to the north of the street. I have done that loop many times. Perhaps my favorite hike in this park is the 304 to the 1A and then winding around behind the summit mountain to connect to the Summit Trail and climb back up to the summit. That is an interesting and somewhat difficult hike that can take a couple hours. Wandering off the 304, there are many interesting things to see. The 304 is not by itself hard, but it can connect to harder hikes.