Picture Rocks Wash Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray Star(37)
Ted Walker Park

Picture Rocks Wash Trail is a 8.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is best used from September until May. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 8.5 miles Elevation Gain: 538 feet Route Type: Out & Back

April 6, We started at parking lot and walked the wash through a beautiful canyon. We went right at the fork.We thought we might see some petroglyphs but there were none to be found until you get over to the Redemption Church area. We continued all the way around to Ring Tail trail. Beautiful walk. Lots of Cacti blooming and wildflowers.

Only did a portion of the trail. The Canyon is spectacular. Somewhere got off course for the loop. So called it a day. Definitely will return to do the whole loop. Very impressed with the Tucson Mountain trails.

I did various Trails on a loop from Picture Rocks wash.

Decent trail with some nice views. We went right, crossed the road. Not far after that you'll find the petroglyphs. We then crossed over right to the next trail and looped back to the car.

Easy parking, moderately trafficked. Beautiful saguaro views. Neat little cave at the beginning of the trail too.

Hiked down the trail it was beautiful. I made a left at the fork. Your pretty much just walking down a wash the remainder of the time. Bring lots of water. Their is also a right you can make. I’ll have to go back later to see more. Didn’t find the petroglyphs.

Sat Apr 13 2019

gorgeous cacti in bloom right now, I think hedgehog, about a quarter to a half mile in from Camino del Cerro trailhead you start seeing them. The wildflowers and brittlebush are really pretty. A easy to moderate trail with a little bit of up and down. The view at the end is worth seeing.

Wed Nov 22 2017

This was my second time trekking the PRW trail. This time, I began at Redemptorist and looped around to Ringtail, an onto the PRW trailhead/parking lot. (My buddy and I parked a vehicle at both locations, since we are beginning hikers.) The Ringtail trail was very difficult to find, as it isn’t clearly marked. In fact, we turned off in the wrong location, and got stuck in the thorny brush. If you are coming from the PRW trailhead, or if you are parked at the retreat (which, btw, is where the petroglyphs are located), watch for the huge saguaro growing out of a builder. RT trailhead is just beyond that landmark on the right. Then, watch for the metal trail marker. It’s easy to miss! RT Trail juts off in the opposite direction, so watch for that, too. I have uploaded pictures, in effort to help you.

Mon Nov 20 2017

This trail begins in a beautiful canyon wash. The sand in this wash is thick, so it makes for a great workout. We veered to the left at the fork, stopped a mile in, and followed our path back to the parking area/trailhead. Next time, we will veer to the right at the fork: a hiker (who lives nearby) told us that petroglyphs are on the rock faces behind the retreat (on the other side of PR Road). I’m looking forward to exploring that part of the trail! We will also explore Ringtail Trail, which winds around to the trailhead/parking lot.

Fri Jan 06 2017

Where are the pictographs on this trail,? Stayed on the Ringtail trail to the Picture Rocks Wash. walked both left and right, but never found thrm

Fri Dec 16 2016

No signage to locate the trail head. Guess we were on it. with a large parking area and the trsil was a wash. First part the most interesting with trail between two walls through a Canyon.

Sat Nov 12 2016

To reach the trailhead travel west on Ina Rd to Wade Rd. 1.6 miles down Wade Rd will be a parking spot and the trailhead. After 3/4 of a mile on the trail the wash forks, stay to the right here. Ringtail trailer is marked in the middle of the wash about 2 miles in. This makes a nice loop back to the parking spot

Sun Aug 28 2016

go early. bring plenty of water.

Sun Feb 21 2016

Gorgeous right from the trailhead! Petrogylphs aplenty! Make sure to take a right turn at the first major fork as you come out of the rock canyon or you'll end up a pretty boring road. I looped around, crossing the highway and taking Ringtail Trail back to the parking lot.

recorded Picture Rocks Wash Trail