New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Picketpost Mountain Trail

Picketpost Mountain Trail is a 3.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Superior, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.9 miles Elevation Gain: 2,011 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This trail allows dogs, but users have reported that parts of the trail may be difficult for a dog to navigate.

1 hour ago

Started out with the loop and made a wrong turn..committed!! Great views but what a scramble..more then expected but great views.

We came out for the loop but turned at the wrong marker, we figured it out pretty quickly but decided to keep going. It was hard, not gonna lie. It was rocky and more climbing up and scooting on the butt down. Slid a couple times and fell once. It’s beautiful and worth it if you’re up for it.

Beautiful up and back on Sunday the 19th. Left about 9am, down about 3pm after a big picnic at the top. It's a scramble the second half up, glad we brought gloves, view spectacular along the trail and top. Saw plenty of larger dogs, there are spots to push and pull them up though. We had a friend with a previous trip, she told us to follow the white up and the red lines (not dots) down. Worked out great for us, but honestly all trails lead up and there are a few, just different scrambles. wasn't too crowded, not many kids, the ones we saw weren't happy with Mom and or Dad lol.

Lots of climbing up and sliding down. Lost the trail several times so look for the pink or white markings. Totally worth it for the view at the top. Absolutely gorgeous!

Challenging. There’s points where it may be very easy to lose the trail. Perhaps you’ll have to climb, slide or bushwhack your way back but it’s all worth it for the view at the top. As beautiful as the sunset might be, I would not recommend descending this mountain at night.

recorded Picketpost Mountain Trail

Bit of way finding on the way up but SO worth it for the views from the top.

Hard to follow. Very technical

I loved this hike but couldn’t give it a full 5 stars because I got lost multiple times. It is poorly marked by spray painted arrows. The pink markers confused me more.

Did the loop around the base and went for the summit today! People say the trail was hard to find and hard to navigate but my Pomeranian and I had no problems. Stop and look around every once in a while and usually the trail is right in front of your face.

This hike is a challenge, for sure. Many areas require rock climbing and scramble. Although there are painted arrows, the trail is sometimes hard to follow. It would be great if the Tonto forest service eliminated the painted arrows and put up proper trail markers. Just be prepared to take your time and evaluate the options. The view at the top is spectacular and worth the climb! Makes for a fun day adventure!

We did this hike today and it was great! We will for sure be back!

icy

I'm normally really good at navigating trails but I really struggled with this one, my husband and I both had trouble negotiating the trail and ended up way off course at one point. Trail markers seemed alot easier to spot going down than up. Unfortunately there was alot of icy sections and we ended turning around near the top because of the ice which made this too sketchy for me! Will hopefully attempt again at some point.

beautiful well-marked hike, trailhead has a bathroom and lots of spaces

I would recommend this trail only for advance and experienced hikers and trail runners. This peak provides amazing panoramic views. Steep in the mid section however, reaching to the peak would be easy and flat trail. Be aware of pink signs. Just follow that signs/arrow and you will be ok.