Picketpost Mountain Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(622)
Tonto National Forest

Picketpost Mountain Trail is a 3.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Superior, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.9 miles Elevation Gain: 2,011 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This trail allows dogs, but users have reported that parts of the trail may be difficult for a dog to navigate.

Awesome Hike! It rivals Flatiron as my favorite hike I've done around Phoenix. Not heavily trafficked and the trail and mountain are big enough that though we did pass a fair amount of people it felt like we were alone on the mountain for a large amount of our time. It is easy to get off trail on this one and there is lots of areas with loose gravel but a lot of fun areas to scramble up rock. Check it out as I think it beat Flatiron in terms of view. Start in the morning and you'll be shaded the entire way up the mountain

Picketpost was as challenging as ever. The parking lot seems to be back open. Well we parked there and didn’t get a ticket, anyway. Didn’t see a single other soul in the three hours it took us to summit and return. Lots of bees and gnats, didn’t see any snakes though. I feel like I remember there being a bench on picketpost but there isn’t one now so maybe I’m remembering incorrectly. Still the mailbox at least! Make sure you have moderate experience before attempting as there is a lot of loose rock on steep sections. And of course, the views are amazing.

I have done this hike a couple of times and I am not a fan of it. It’s a good challenge but it’s just so poorly marked and hard to stay on trail. It’s also just so loose! I like hard hikes but I just don’t like this hike.

Loved the hike! little more of a scramble than I expected but definitely doable. Loose gravel makes the descent slippery so be careful on the way down. Parking lot is still closed and I was the only one on the mountain which I loved.

Awesome challenging trail! The sights are amazing and totally worth the trip to the top. My only advisory is according to my GPS the trail was actually closer to 6.5-7 miles round trip, I’m pretty sure the 3.9 miles listed here is as the crow flies. Great hike and absolutely worth it for hikers with at least moderate experience.

Great challenging hike.

Great trail. Had to park 1/4 mile away because of C-19 parking lot looniness (you can park next to each other at Costco but you can’t here??)

This trail is BEAUTIFUL. I looked at reviews before this and decided to take my dog since there was a few that said dogs could do it and my dog has been on a ton of tough hikes. HOWEVER there is a point where you reach a section you have to quite literally rock climb up and there was no way I was going to be able to get her back down if i got up there with her. Sadly i didn’t get to the top but the points i did get to were awesome and well worth it. Will have to return without her to complete it!!

This has majestic views at the top if you make it. Believe me, majestic. It can be extremely difficult if you take the shut up. If you find the alternate path it is way better. Problem is finding the alternative path. It is hidden by a 15-20 climb up that most wouldn’t think to do. We found on way down and I would look for that climb up next time. Another thing, go with others or make sure you have amazing gps and battery life. You can easily get lost on this hike. Do not do Late in day. 6-8 o’clock start no latter. If lucky 1.5 up and same down. If not lucky 2-2.5 up and same down. There are so many markers cairns and paint left it can confuse you. A ton of cactus to snag you. if I did again I would probably wear sleeves. If you do shut, you are climbing or hugging ground. Very slippery also. Remember it is a shut that is usually flowing water. But, as I said the view are majestic and ones you will not forget. Well worth the long drive!!!!! Bring gloves

Beautiful morning hike and picket post did not disappoint. Was almost as tough as flat iron and not as long. Very similar in spots. At the top you look down on superior and have an awesome vantage of the superstition wilderness. Next time I’d bring gloves and poles.

No dogs for sure, unless they’re part Mtn Goat. Went off trail a few times but not too far. Almost 3 hours up... (50yo/male, moderately active, when not quarantined :-) 19yo has no issues (she’s in shape, and 19). 14yo niece was NOT happy, but made it). The rock scrambling can get intense at times.

This was such a fun trail! A bit scary because the trail isn’t the clearest at times, but keep an eye out for spray painted dots and rock cairns! Keep left when going up and keep right when coming down. There was flowing water when we did this back in mid-March, which added to the experience of climbing up with water splashing in our faces! The view at the top is awesome. I’ll be coming back to hike this again!

I had so much fun on this trail. Total was 2hrs 17 mins to the top, and 2 hrs down. Right now it’s a 0.4 mile walk to the trailhead due to closing the trailhead parking lot/bathrooms but it’s flat so doesn’t add much. I personally believe this trail was more challenging than flat iron, only because it is way less popular so at some points it is hard to find the trail. More technical than flat iron. Keep LEFT and look for rock totems/cairns as well as rocks painted with white, pink, or even blue arrows. We found all of these helpful. It’s a good scramble to the top, but the 360 views are so worth it. We sat up on the top for about an hour eating snacks and reading through the notes in the mailbox. All four corners of the peak are accessible, but the mailbox is at the back left. Will absolutely do this one again. Hike with a buddy, we didn’t see anyone the entire time!

Hard. Some scrambling and route finding required. Look for the small concrete patches that someone put on the smooth rock sections. Stay left going up and right coming down. Dangerous for dogs. As of 4/12 the trail is open but the trailhead is closed per the governors orders. This adds a .4 mile walk The views are worth it, your looking at the Superstitions the whole way up and down, and a nice 360 at the top

Seriously challenging, would recommend only to those with a bit more hiking experience, otherwise could be potentially dangerous. That being said, it’s doable and if you like a challenge & some adrenaline, it was awesome. Lots of rock climbing. Views are totally worth it + the cute lil mailbox at the top that you can put letters in/sign the “gratitude” guestbook. Took us about 4.5 hours but took a little break at the top. Trail isn’t well marked so had to check the app A LOT both on the ascent & descent. Will definitely do again.

Right now it’s a .4mi walk to the trailhead. Steep and rocky in some parts. Trail gets really narrow with a drop off the side. Absolutely beautiful views. Active 7yo made it 2mi. Trail wasn’t busy at all.

definitely not a trail for dogs..Hiked the summit today did not make it to the top, was worried about my pit terrier who is 1 and half year old and my mix breed beagle terrier who is 10 years old with 6 years of experience hiking...we were over half way.. great trail though.

Trail can be hard to find about half way up the mountain. Beautiful views are totally worth it and it is slightly less strenuous than flatiron. Up and down in 4 hours, however I would recommend taking your time as the mountain can be very steep.