Picketpost Mountain Trail

Picketpost Mountain Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Superior, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

2060 feet

good strenuous hike. the trail was tough to follow in many places. there are multiple trails with cairns to choose from and sometimes cairns are scarce when you would like to find one. Now that I've hiked it once it will be allot easier next time. Shannon pointed out that there are two routes but didn't clarify which is the easier one. I think the proper and easier trail is the one up the broader, shallower gully to the left of you can find the right trail. I tried to follow it up but turned back when I got to a dead end at a cliff. on the way down I found the right way. when you get to the smooth gully at the critical left or right decision point, cross the smooth gully and stay to the left. the trail will swing further left before switching back to the right and on up to the top. let me know if this description is helpful...

Awesome hike! I think the only hard part of this hike is finding the trail, but there are plenty of cairns along the way. Not to steep, easy assent. I will definitely will be doing it again!

Definitely a challenging hike and I’m a strong hiker. I would never do this hike alone as we didn’t see a soul until back at the bottom and it’s easy to get lost and/or twist an ankle but the sense of accomplishment at the end was great. Took us 3 hours 21 minutes round trip.

The first mile and half or so is a moderate incline. Then the fun begins and so does the rock climbing! The trail is not marked at all except for the few painted arrows and cairns to guide you the rest of the way. There are 2 ways to the top so watch the arrows! I followed the cairns and it was apparently harder, much more rock climbing but well shaded in the morning. I took the other way down and it was more of a rock scramble and not so easy to see arrows. Either way wasn't easy but glad I did it!

Beautiful trail to top and 360 views. The trail can be easy to lose at points, adding time and frustration to the hike but still worth it.

Very challenging hike but loved the views and the mailbox at the top. This hike took my husband and I a little over four hours round trip. The stacked rocks are a complete lifesaver as the path is very difficult to find. There was a lot of trying to figure out if we were even going the right direction. This is definitely a one and done hike for us due to how potentially dangerous it is. Still glad we were able to check it off!