Picketpost Mountain Trail

Picketpost Mountain Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Superior, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

2060 feet

My husband and I are nearly 51 and work out and hike every week. This was tough but so worth the minor scrapes and bruises. The trail markers are hit or miss so run your alltrails gps at the trailhead (this saved us a few times today). Coming down is slippery in the gravel so have good hiking shoes and pay attention. It took us about 3.5 hours going up and we spent about an hour at the top to eat and about 3 to get down. Have plenty of water and food or snacks.

This hike is a challenge for those of us beyond 40 years. I would recommend going with a buddy, on a cool day, bring plenty of water, and a snack to sit enjoy the view once you've reached the top. Pay special attention to the pink and blue dots along the way up and more importantly make note of some landmarks for navigating your return trip. Gloves and good hiking shoes are a plus.

We made it to the top in about 2 hours. You definitely need good hiking shoes for this one. A lot of steep areas to hike up you will need good traction and support. It was worth every minute- hiking into this gorgeous mountain was one for the books!

Great morning hike. I didn’t go to the top because I was afraid my dog might not do very well going back down. Flat ledge rocks. We went up the first flat scramble and made the decision to stop. I think we still had over an hour of hiking left. Fun hike though. Just wear good shoes and plenty of water. Will go back , just without my Boxer.

felt a lot longer than 6.6 kms with all the switchbacks. took us 3 hrs up and 3 hrs down, lots of loose gravel and rocks, no even, flat ground, was a very difficult but beautiful hike! Followed the markers and blue and white arrow spray paint, but somehow took a different trail down.

good strenuous hike. the trail was tough to follow in many places. there are multiple trails with cairns to choose from and sometimes cairns are scarce when you would like to find one. Now that I've hiked it once it will be allot easier next time. Shannon pointed out that there are two routes but didn't clarify which is the easier one. I think the proper and easier trail is the one up the broader, shallower gully to the left of you can find the right trail. I tried to follow it up but turned back when I got to a dead end at a cliff. on the way down I found the right way. when you get to the smooth gully at the critical left or right decision point, cross the smooth gully and stay to the left. the trail will swing further left before switching back to the right and on up to the top. let me know if this description is helpful...

Awesome hike! I think the only hard part of this hike is finding the trail, but there are plenty of cairns along the way. Not to steep, easy assent. I will definitely will be doing it again!

Definitely a challenging hike and I’m a strong hiker. I would never do this hike alone as we didn’t see a soul until back at the bottom and it’s easy to get lost and/or twist an ankle but the sense of accomplishment at the end was great. Took us 3 hours 21 minutes round trip.

The first mile and half or so is a moderate incline. Then the fun begins and so does the rock climbing! The trail is not marked at all except for the few painted arrows and cairns to guide you the rest of the way. There are 2 ways to the top so watch the arrows! I followed the cairns and it was apparently harder, much more rock climbing but well shaded in the morning. I took the other way down and it was more of a rock scramble and not so easy to see arrows. Either way wasn't easy but glad I did it!

Beautiful trail to top and 360 views. The trail can be easy to lose at points, adding time and frustration to the hike but still worth it.

Very challenging hike but loved the views and the mailbox at the top. This hike took my husband and I a little over four hours round trip. The stacked rocks are a complete lifesaver as the path is very difficult to find. There was a lot of trying to figure out if we were even going the right direction. This is definitely a one and done hike for us due to how potentially dangerous it is. Still glad we were able to check it off!

Challenging yet rewarding trail. Keep going up to the east once you reach the col. There is a red mailbox at the highest point. Breathtaking views. Saw a desert tortoise and tarantula on the way up. Recommend trekking poles for the descent. My wife and I made the summit in a little over 2.5 hours.

This was an amazing hike! Very challenging both mentally and physically. The views at the top are breathtaking! The stacked rocks were a lifesaver for figuring out where to ascend/descend safely in the steepest parts. There is a lot of sliding down on your butt on the way down. I would hike this again!

Not crazy about this trail. Very easy to lose on the way down. If it's your first time do it with somebody. I would consider this a dangerous trail to do the first time by yourself. Great views from the top. Not sure if I will do this again.

Very good hike that starts off pretty moderate and then takes you up all the elevation in the last mile or so of the trail. My legs were burning and forced me to stop and rest. Most of the trail offers shade if you start early like at 5:30. Bring lots of water, that sun is a killer!

A lot of fun. The first half mile is a great stroll through a small incline. The next mile is a steeper climb but still easy to follow. The remaining distance is a scramble up to the top. It's easy to get off track but as long as you're heading up you'll make it. It guides you to the trail to finish up at the bench and mailbox. The views are amazing!

tough trail after the first two miles.

It was an okay hike

Definitely a tough hike as there really is not a clear trail however the views from the top are AMAZING! Did it by myself and as other hikers have said - probably not the smartest trail to do alone so just practice safety if you go solo. Will definitely do this hike again!

fantastic trail. if you've got the eyes and the will power... you can find/stay on the trail. Scrambles that will put your balance to the test.