Picketpost Mountain Trail

Picketpost Mountain Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Superior, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

2060 feet

Easy hike for about the first 0.5miles. Very easy to get off trail once you reach the base of the mountain. Remember, you are far outside the city- so a lot of wildlife..... Rattlesnakes, so be careful. Make sure you start early in the morning as this hike can take a long time if you get off course. Most importantly, HAVE FUN!

We took lower trail about 2 miles until it joined the wash then followed wash back to parking. Would say mostly easy trail. Scenery was good as usual.

This trail was absolutely difficult at times. I would do it again in a heartbeat now understanding the layout of the land and what to look for.

Make sure you take enough water and wear appropriate clothing. You will also need to place close attention to the cairns that are thankfully located along the trail. I am one that is always opposed to marking up nature, but also grateful for the errors that were marked on certain rock faces along the trail.

Enjoy and make sure to place your name in the mailbox and take a rest on the bench that someone trucked up the mountain.

Awesome hike. Hard at some points but the view made it all worth it.

Excellent hike if you like scrambling! Completed at a leisurely pace in 5.5 hours that included about a half hour at the top taking in the great views.

Excellent hike! Lots of variety! BE SURE to bring plenty of water; we ran into hikers who ran out at the summit. Dangerous! If you have trekking poles, using them will save your legs; but you’ll need to be able to stow them for rock scrambling. We took our time (started at 10:22am, spent a little time at the summit and finished the trail by 3:48pm). Traffic on the trail was relatively steady (to be expected on a Saturday in Dec) so be patient. Everyone was super nice, helpful & happy. Any wait we had just gave us time to rest! ENJOY!

I made the mistake if bringing my dog, would recommend you do not do that, this trail involves bouldering at about 1.36 mi in.....which is fun but dangerous for pets, awesome trail that combines hiking, good elevation, great views and bouldering, this is now my top Favorite hike, Winter is a great time to conquer the peak

My husband and I are nearly 51 and work out and hike every week. This was tough but so worth the minor scrapes and bruises. The trail markers are hit or miss so run your alltrails gps at the trailhead (this saved us a few times today). Coming down is slippery in the gravel so have good hiking shoes and pay attention. It took us about 3.5 hours going up and we spent about an hour at the top to eat and about 3 to get down. Have plenty of water and food or snacks.

This hike is a challenge for those of us beyond 40 years. I would recommend going with a buddy, on a cool day, bring plenty of water, and a snack to sit enjoy the view once you've reached the top. Pay special attention to the pink and blue dots along the way up and more importantly make note of some landmarks for navigating your return trip. Gloves and good hiking shoes are a plus.

We made it to the top in about 2 hours. You definitely need good hiking shoes for this one. A lot of steep areas to hike up you will need good traction and support. It was worth every minute- hiking into this gorgeous mountain was one for the books!

Great morning hike. I didn’t go to the top because I was afraid my dog might not do very well going back down. Flat ledge rocks. We went up the first flat scramble and made the decision to stop. I think we still had over an hour of hiking left. Fun hike though. Just wear good shoes and plenty of water. Will go back , just without my Boxer.

felt a lot longer than 6.6 kms with all the switchbacks. took us 3 hrs up and 3 hrs down, lots of loose gravel and rocks, no even, flat ground, was a very difficult but beautiful hike! Followed the markers and blue and white arrow spray paint, but somehow took a different trail down.

good strenuous hike. the trail was tough to follow in many places. there are multiple trails with cairns to choose from and sometimes cairns are scarce when you would like to find one. Now that I've hiked it once it will be allot easier next time. Shannon pointed out that there are two routes but didn't clarify which is the easier one. I think the proper and easier trail is the one up the broader, shallower gully to the left of you can find the right trail. I tried to follow it up but turned back when I got to a dead end at a cliff. on the way down I found the right way. when you get to the smooth gully at the critical left or right decision point, cross the smooth gully and stay to the left. the trail will swing further left before switching back to the right and on up to the top. let me know if this description is helpful...

Awesome hike! I think the only hard part of this hike is finding the trail, but there are plenty of cairns along the way. Not to steep, easy assent. I will definitely will be doing it again!

Definitely a challenging hike and I’m a strong hiker. I would never do this hike alone as we didn’t see a soul until back at the bottom and it’s easy to get lost and/or twist an ankle but the sense of accomplishment at the end was great. Took us 3 hours 21 minutes round trip.

The first mile and half or so is a moderate incline. Then the fun begins and so does the rock climbing! The trail is not marked at all except for the few painted arrows and cairns to guide you the rest of the way. There are 2 ways to the top so watch the arrows! I followed the cairns and it was apparently harder, much more rock climbing but well shaded in the morning. I took the other way down and it was more of a rock scramble and not so easy to see arrows. Either way wasn't easy but glad I did it!

Beautiful trail to top and 360 views. The trail can be easy to lose at points, adding time and frustration to the hike but still worth it.

Very challenging hike but loved the views and the mailbox at the top. This hike took my husband and I a little over four hours round trip. The stacked rocks are a complete lifesaver as the path is very difficult to find. There was a lot of trying to figure out if we were even going the right direction. This is definitely a one and done hike for us due to how potentially dangerous it is. Still glad we were able to check it off!

Challenging yet rewarding trail. Keep going up to the east once you reach the col. There is a red mailbox at the highest point. Breathtaking views. Saw a desert tortoise and tarantula on the way up. Recommend trekking poles for the descent. My wife and I made the summit in a little over 2.5 hours.

This was an amazing hike! Very challenging both mentally and physically. The views at the top are breathtaking! The stacked rocks were a lifesaver for figuring out where to ascend/descend safely in the steepest parts. There is a lot of sliding down on your butt on the way down. I would hike this again!