Picacho Peak via Hunter Trail

Picacho Peak via Hunter Trail is a 2.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Picacho, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.7 miles Elevation Gain: 2,014 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Note: Dogs are not permitted beyond the saddle area, which is about halfway to the final destination (peak). The trail to the summit is well marked and maintained. The trail is challenging and requires strong arms to grip the cables on ascent and descent- gloves are highly recommended. Views from the trail and the summit are great! The nature is amazing - you have a great chance to spot the bald headed eagle and see blooming ocotillos.

Great trail. Definitely can be difficult. You will need plenty of water on this trail and gloves. Please do not do this one unless you are physically able. Even if you are be careful, people have died hiking this trail. My more detailed review and some pictures. https://thegeekhomestead.com/2019/05/12/hiking-tucson-picacho-peak/

Bring at least 3 bottles of water and gloves for this hike , awesome views , short but challenging, well marked, 2-4 hours

Great day hiking. Really fun to do the scrambles.

fee

Holy cow this is a tough one! With good shoes, climbing gloves, and a lot of water, it is totally doable, though. My fitness level is really low right now, and I had to take many breaks, but I made it to the top. Just keep in mind that getting back is even harder than getting there. Saw hikers at every level on the trail yesterday, from trail runners racing by (one toting a medicine ball!), to little kids, to red-faced old timers. Also got to see search-and-rescue airlift someone off the mountain, so no matter what your skill level, be careful!

Beautiful weather for this one at this time of year.

Amazing hike and definitely a difficult level for sure! A couple times going down the cables was more freaky than going up. I’m so happy I brought my gloves and 3L of water! It was a perfect day!! I ended going up to the Peak through Hunter Trail and down Sunset Vista looping all the way back to my car at Hunters. Peak 3 of 6; six pack six peaks.

My husband and I did this hike on an early November afternoon. Weather was beautiful. Car to car distance was 3.2 miles and it took us a total of 4 hours (with breaks). Definitely technical and difficult but very fun and rewarding. We needed gloves and plenty of water. Had to be hands free at times to rock scramble or utilize the cable system to climb. Parts are very steep and shear. If you have a fear of heights this will be challenging. Good shoes a must. Not child or dog friendly. Allow plenty of time to be done before dark. I highly recommend this hike though. I thought it was fun, challenging, and unique.

Maybe my favorite hike in the area

Probably my favorite trail to date! As an experienced hiker, I feel that I’ve finally have hiked a trail that is accurately described as difficult. For those who don’t hike a lot, of attempting this, ensure to wear proper shoes as the trails are slippery due to loose rocks and if you are thinking about being children make sure you have enough adults to supervise. We came across a group of unruly kids today who were alone the adults had left them and were out of water, one almost fell off the cliff and we gave Gatorade to...these adults should have been ashamed and I would have been horrified if I were their parents. Another kid was throwing rocks at us off the top and almost hit us in the head. Overall, this was so much fun! Cannot wait to go again!

Awesome hike!! Very tough, but very doable for almost all skill levels. Wouldn’t recommend if you’re afraid of heights (seems obvious but someone today missed the memo), or if you don’t like climbing steep faces requiring your hands. definitely wouldn’t bring the pups on this one although the first half is considered dog friendly, but 1000% you and your friends should do this one! Unique experience compared to most other hikes in AZ. We got done in 1h55m and we were moving decently quick. Shouldn’t take 4 hours like some other reviewers say but I think 3 is a good rule of thumb for your average hiker. Pretty rocky at parts, would recommend real hiking or trail shoes over running shoes, your feet will thank you. Tons of fun though! Def worth the hour drive from Phx.

recorded Picacho Peak via Hunter Trail

Beautiful trail on a beautiful day. Some places are really steep and could be dangerous but worth the bravery:)

love this hike. The trail is steep, but offers alot of shady resting points along the way if done in the morning. Bring more water than you normally would think necessary. Gloves are a great addition as the rocks and cables can get hot, as well as make your hands tender. Rewarding hike, beautiful view.

Fun hike. Steeper than expected toward the top.

Love this hike

Got to the TH a little after 6am on a weekday and only ran into two other hikers on my way back down. Definitely recommend an early start. Not only is the light gorgeous, you’ll be in the shade for the toughest stretches of the trail. The cables were much more necessary, and scarier than I expected. If you are afraid of heights or are very risk averse I’d recommend turning around at the trailhead. Gloves are good, I didn’t use any but my hands did feel tender after. Some nice hikers have left a few sets at the saddle if you need to borrow some from the mountain. Gorgeous 360 view at the summit. Take your time, watch your step. Must wear appropriate footwear or you will be really tempting the fate of your ankles.

fun trail, some up and some down...

Love this trail! if you hike it in the summer go early take gloves, I take a gallon of water. It is a very tough incline starting out...take breaks there is a lot of cliffs and views. Steel rails up the front and all along the back side. You will need to pull yourself up many times. The peak is a 360 degree view with no obstacles.

Started at 5:40am, summited at 6:55am - headed back at 7:10am and at car by 8am. Rattlesnake on trail just before the saddle. Amazing hike and what a great way to start the day. Fun experience with some great climbs using cables. Definitely going to do this one again!

For experienced hikers. It was challenging at spots, if you’re afraid of heights however, very rewarding. Very well maintained.

Amazing 3 hours 50 minutes it took me I love this trail