Perl Charles Memorial Trail (#1A)

Perl Charles Memorial Trail (#1A) is a 6.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,154 feet Route Type: Loop

Connected to the Perl Charles Memorial Trail. A short uphill climbing trail that adjoins the Perl Charles Memorial Trail (1A) at about 1 1/4 miles along the trail. It follows switchbacks up the side of the mountain, and then down the other side to rejoin the 1A and the 302.

Nice trail. Confusing at times with lack of trail markers in a few spots where multiple trails come together. Trail was 5.65 miles with the paths we followed.

Nice hike!

Awesome trail. This is one of the better ones in the area. Not much traffic once you get away from dreamy draw. The trail is definitely true to moderate. A lot of trails are listed as moderate and are super easy. This oneis a good workout.

Great hike! A little confused that sign says 1A is 4.8 miles. It’s definitely over six. Lots of little trails that go off in different directions.

Great urban trail! We actually started with the Perl Charles trail and ended up on 1A. Wildflowers are blooming! There needs to be more signs as some other Phoenix trails have. Some parts of the trail were easy, and some moderate to difficult. Great views of the city, but a little noisy with the 51 nearby. I would definitely return as there are many trails to hike.

I really liked this hike. We used the 302/1A trail and it wasn’t as traveled as the others. This did not take us to the peak. Rough trail but totally doable for those who may not want a steep, tricky hike

Nice variety of up and down. I'd say slightly more than moderate but very enjoyable.

We've been hitting up the preserve for a few weeks now, just zigzagging around. This trail is great, with lots of options to go off in different directions. Ended up hiking up 302 and sitting just under Piestawa and enjoying the sunset. After all the rain this month, the mountains are incredibly green. Started at the Dreamy Draw recreation area, and went up the 1A. We were looking for the other end of the Irregular Link, and we not disappointed in the loop at all. Definitely a little more than moderate if you're not in at least okay shape, but not difficult to do with plenty of water and a rest if you need it. Started at 4:15, finished at 6:30; could be done faster, but we take stops to just enjoy the views.

Hmmm...We tried to do this hike, but, as sometimes happens, we went off where things looked more interesting. I am not sure where or what hike we were, but we started in the parking lot and ended up on 1A until we found a marker that said "Irregular Link", which sounded cool, so we headed that way-and we were really glad we did! It was awesome! We ended up having to turn around after about an hour and a half because we had somewhere to be. The first part of our hike was deciding in that it looked like it was going to be disappointingly boring, but it got better and better, especially when we got into the Irregular link. Loose rocks, good steep inclines, narrow pathways in some spots, great views. I only have it four stars because of the first quarter of the trail and because it was hard to decide which hike we were on. It was pretty.

Saturday, March 24, 2018

Love this trail. 302-304-1A. That's the way! Follow the 1A off of the 304 either going directly west up the side of the mountain, or around back of the mountain, where 1A meets VOAZ and Irregular Link. VOAZ and Irregular Link form a short loop between wings of the 1A as it travels along the mountain directly next to and north of the Summit mountain. Beware! 1A travels through Piestewa Peak park and winds up out on the street near 20th Street, just west of the park. I wound up going that way by mistake one day to trail end and did 7 1/2 miles on 1A before traipsing back to the park to the car. Love the trail anyway. May have done just 4 miles on it today.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018

nice trail for the most part, there are sometimes where it is not clearly marked and does intersect with other trails. Also, lots of side trail options. Trail rolls up an down the mountain so you will do the elevation changes multiple times.

Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Nice short day hike. The first mile along the interstate I could do without. I would say this trail is moderate/easy. Footing can be an issue in parts...very rocky. I took the voaz shortcut to take a few miles off the trip. It was a nice uphill hike with some good views. I enjoyed the hike and look forward to exploring more areas of the Preserve. Friendly people along the trail. I didn't have too much of an issue navigating but I do agree there could be more posts for less experienced hikers.

Friday, February 09, 2018

ok ...but not a moderate trail, should be rated easy, in my opinion.

Tuesday, January 02, 2018

Accidentally ended up on the trail because trail 220 is so poorly marked but glad we did. The inclines were not bad at all and lots of great views. Somewhat busy trail shared with mountain bikers but not crowded. Will do again!

Monday, December 18, 2017

Awesome set of trails! The beginning of the trail is a little confusing because it’s next to the interstate and seems to be more of a service road but if you keep going for about a mile, you get into the trail more. The terrain is a bit tough to keep your footing but not too bad. Highly recommend!

Saturday, November 04, 2017

Saturday, August 05, 2017

Thought this was a pretty good hike. I'll agree with the moderate rating. The terrain is a bit rugged throughout. I would suggest more signage tho. I got a little disoriented I guess you could say. Got to a point where it looked like the trail just ended at what I'll describe as a ravine but it actually continued once I got down the ravine and around a curve. There were several moderate inclines and one REALLY big one!!! I thought surely I'm going to have to go down the mountain but I kept encountering these inclines!!! The glutes and hamstrings got a serious workout today!!!

Friday, June 23, 2017

The cacti are flowering!

Monday, May 29, 2017

Back on the 1A yesterday. I started out on the 304 heading for the 8 on the way to Tatum Blvd., but decided there wasn't enough daylight left so bushwhacked over to the 1A and finished my hike there. I got some good snaps along the trail and ended the hike with 1C, the Irregular Link. I love the clever name, and the 1C forms a handy connector between 1 A on the north side of the mountain and 1A on the south side. It actually provides some reasonably challenging climbing, rising up to 1,987 feet, or about 600 feet under the summit. 1C lies a little bit west on 1A from VOAZ.

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Route traverses nice enough terrain but poor signage makes it difficult to follow and abundant loose rock and ankle-twisting hazards will have you looking at your feet a lot. If you're looking for a pleasant, challenging mountain hike in this region, there's better.

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Fun trail! Good climbing. I like going up VOAZ from this

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Makes some great tech climbing and gnar DH. Also more technical trails off shoot along the way like VOAZ

Tuesday, February 07, 2017

Very long and hilly.

Monday, December 19, 2016

Attempted trail 1A yesterday. Not well marked. There are both new and old directional markers, and at times they contradicted each other. Got lost a couple times and ended up hiking farther than expected. Got tired half way through. This is my third attempt at completing this trail, and whether I go clockwise or counter clockwise, I ended missing a turn each time. Perhaps fourth time will be the charm., though I have no desire to back any time soon. I'll stick with shorter trails.

Monday, July 18, 2016

Traveled over on the VOAZ today, from one side of the 1A (Perl Charles Memorial) to the other. It makes a shortened trek of the 1A. Otherwise, it's 7 miles from one end to the other. The VOAZ presents a bit of a climb up and over the peak to the other side and back to connecting trails to Squaw Peak Drive and parking. The Irregular Link does the same thing, but that one's even higher. It's a handy trail anyway, and scenic. Lots of great snaps up there. If you find yourself on the 1A and don't want to go the long way out, this is good to look for. You can easily stretch the hike into 3+ miles. Not bad at all.

Monday, June 13, 2016

Back on Perl Charles Memorial (1A) today. I caught the 1A from the Nature Trail (304) off of Squaw Peak Drive. I then turned onto the Irregular Link (1C), expecting to cross over the mountain and back to the 304, and back to parking. Somehow I missed the turn today. I didn't go straight over the mountain, but instead got back on the 1A and continued to the 302 Summit Trail. I went up to the Summit Trail, and then turned and headed down. That's a fairly long hike, and it is especially difficult in the heat. I did get a lot of nice pictures, but I was beat by the time I topped out at Summit Trail. I had done that trail before, but wasn't exactly planning on it today. At least I made it! It's a good trail anyway, and it is recommended for hikers who have a little time and a lot of leg strength. It's more good hiking at Piestewa Peak.

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Great 7 mile workout!

Saturday, November 14, 2015

Back on the VOAZ today. I had been gone from Squaw Peak for a while, long enough that I had forgotten where the VOAZ was! When I came to it today, I had no idea I was even close. I thought I had discovered a new stretch on the 1A (Perl Charles Memorial). Anyway, this is a fun little side trail, which does adjoin the 1A on the north side and south side of that loop. It conveniently crosses over the mountain and then rejoins the 1A along with the 302 (Freedom Trail). I also did not realize that the VOAZ is a loop of it's own, beginning and ending on the south side of the 1A loop. The sign reading VOAZ loop is partly obstructed. Not a terribly long hike either, being only 1 1/2 miles total. Not bad, though, as Squaw Peak goes.