Perl Charles Memorial Trail (#1A)

Perl Charles Memorial Trail (#1A) is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Route traverses nice enough terrain but poor signage makes it difficult to follow and abundant loose rock and ankle-twisting hazards will have you looking at your feet a lot. If you're looking for a pleasant, challenging mountain hike in this region, there's better.

Makes some great tech climbing and gnar DH. Also more technical trails off shoot along the way like VOAZ

Very long and hilly.

Attempted trail 1A yesterday. Not well marked. There are both new and old directional markers, and at times they contradicted each other. Got lost a couple times and ended up hiking farther than expected. Got tired half way through. This is my third attempt at completing this trail, and whether I go clockwise or counter clockwise, I ended missing a turn each time. Perhaps fourth time will be the charm., though I have no desire to back any time soon. I'll stick with shorter trails.

Back on Perl Charles Memorial (1A) today. I caught the 1A from the Nature Trail (304) off of Squaw Peak Drive. I then turned onto the Irregular Link (1C), expecting to cross over the mountain and back to the 304, and back to parking. Somehow I missed the turn today. I didn't go straight over the mountain, but instead got back on the 1A and continued to the 302 Summit Trail. I went up to the Summit Trail, and then turned and headed down. That's a fairly long hike, and it is especially difficult in the heat. I did get a lot of nice pictures, but I was beat by the time I topped out at Summit Trail. I had done that trail before, but wasn't exactly planning on it today. At least I made it! It's a good trail anyway, and it is recommended for hikers who have a little time and a lot of leg strength. It's more good hiking at Piestewa Peak.

Sunday, April 24, 2016