Perl Charles Memorial Trail (#1A)

Perl Charles Memorial Trail (#1A) is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Connected to the Perl Charles Memorial Trail. A short uphill climbing trail that adjoins the Perl Charles Memorial Trail (1A) at about 1 1/4 miles along the trail. It follows switchbacks up the side of the mountain, and then down the other side to rejoin the 1A and the 302.

Thought this was a pretty good hike. I'll agree with the moderate rating. The terrain is a bit rugged throughout. I would suggest more signage tho. I got a little disoriented I guess you could say. Got to a point where it looked like the trail just ended at what I'll describe as a ravine but it actually continued once I got down the ravine and around a curve. There were several moderate inclines and one REALLY big one!!! I thought surely I'm going to have to go down the mountain but I kept encountering these inclines!!! The glutes and hamstrings got a serious workout today!!!

The cacti are flowering!

Back on the 1A yesterday. I started out on the 304 heading for the 8 on the way to Tatum Blvd., but decided there wasn't enough daylight left so bushwhacked over to the 1A and finished my hike there. I got some good snaps along the trail and ended the hike with 1C, the Irregular Link. I love the clever name, and the 1C forms a handy connector between 1 A on the north side of the mountain and 1A on the south side. It actually provides some reasonably challenging climbing, rising up to 1,987 feet, or about 600 feet under the summit. 1C lies a little bit west on 1A from VOAZ.

Route traverses nice enough terrain but poor signage makes it difficult to follow and abundant loose rock and ankle-twisting hazards will have you looking at your feet a lot. If you're looking for a pleasant, challenging mountain hike in this region, there's better.

Fun trail! Good climbing. I like going up VOAZ from this

Makes some great tech climbing and gnar DH. Also more technical trails off shoot along the way like VOAZ