Peralta Trail to Fremont Saddle

Peralta Trail to Fremont Saddle is a 5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Apache Junction, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

old growth

This ended with a spectacular desert view of Weever's needle along a straightforward but rocky trail.

Once you get off the 60 and get all the way down Peralta, it becomes a long winding dirt road. This road goes on for a good 20-30 minutes depending how fast you drive. It's maintained but very washboard like with a ton of bumps and small washes (last time I lost a fog light b/c I didn't use locking washers lol). My 2WD pickup makes it fine and so can most cars.

Once on the trail it's very clear where to go. There's shade in the morning but once the sun comes up it's pretty exposed. Overall good trail, but a decent amount of rocks.

At the saddle, you can see the needle, but there's a WAY better view if you head to the right, towards the only pine tree you'll see out there. Just head to the right and you'll see a trail that heads down to it.

I recommend going early in summer, I started around 5:40am and it was very nice out, even in the sun. Definitely bring plenty of water (~3L) and sunscreen for the return as it does get hot around 9:30. For the rocks, I definitely recommend boots or hardy trail runners, something with a toe guard-- I stubbed my foot so many times on bigger rocks. Also, if you enjoy hammocking, there is a good rock anchor point next to the pine tree that makes for a breath-taking siesta spot.

Overall solid trail, very few people even on a weekend, and great views of the desert!

favorite hike so far, absolutely beautiful! + parking is convenient and trail is well marked. you will have to drive a dirt road for a few miles but my compact car had no issues.

I really enjoyed Peralta - it was a decent cardio workout, had lovely views, and the parking wasn't too bad.
I recommend you wear proper hiking shoes or boots because there is loose rock, and the scramble to the saddle has a few spots that are steep. Grippy shoes are good for this trail.
Once you crest the saddle, you can see Weaver's Needle in the distance, and the Lone Pine to the right. There is a lot of space on the saddle that's flat, so you can picnic, stretch, etc. I scooted off to a more remote part of that saddle and had a 15-minute yoga practice.
I'd definitely recommend this trail because I look forward to hiking it again!

Gorgeous views. We got there fairly early making it before the real heat kicked in. I loved this area and plan to hike it’s nearby trails in the future.

This is a good trail to hike two hours before sunset in the summer. The canyon is mostly shaded in the late evening and there are very few people out. I had the trail to myself which would never happen in the winter. The trail is easy to follow and the view if Weavers Needle from the saddle is one of the best.

Good trail with scenic view and plenty of shade

Moderate to hard, boots recommended, and at least 3 liters of water. Started at 5:45am and reached the saddle at 6:30, just after the sun crested the range to the East. Most of my ascent was in the shade, thankfully.

Views were spectacular! Lone tree is just beyond the saddle and definitely worth the extra 20ish minute hike, although the trail was a little difficult to follow at times. Take the trail over the saddle, and as it takes it’s first hard left, go straight through to the right and up instead of taking the switchback left and downward.

Total time was about 3 hours with a good half hour rest up top, at a fairly quick pace. Absolutely one of my favorite hikes in the East Valley.

The difficulty for this hike was definitely not hard. Just the Peralta trail which is .1 mile shorter along the same trail is rated at moderate which is about right. Took me about 1 hour 45 mins from trail head to the lone tree (end) and probably about 1 hour 15 mins back so 3 hours total hike not including venturing around for half an hour on the saddle. Used up about 2.5 liters of water. Boots recommended, but that goes for just about all of the supes.

Great views doing this hike. Got a good view of 3 sisters driving towards the trail head and once you reach freemont there is a great view of Weaver’s Needle.

Challenging hike with fantastic views!

Easy hike, definitely miss marked as “hard”. This trail is moderate at best!

I did this trail unexpectedly as I was planning on doing the three sisters. But I parked in at the wrong spot and took off up the trail I thought was correct. Before long I realized my mistake - oh well maybe I should up grade to PRO...

Anyway, this was a good solid to hard hike for me. Started off around 9:30. Should have begun earlier as it warmed up more than I expected that day. No biggie. This track is a little more rugged in places than my normal climbs on south mountain (Holbert, Mormon Loop, Geronimo, Devastator) but there was nothing as demanding as the steep parts of Echo Canyon @ Camelback.. Probably could use the up grade from Brooks runners to climbing shoes due to the rocks, but they did fine - no slipping.

Lots of people on the trail: couple scout troops, families even some dogs - but definitely more than lightly traveled on the weekends.

Overall great trail, great views from the saddle and on the way up. Will do this one again but would head off to the needle to extend the hike to 8 or nine miles or only after I get those 3 sisters in.

Fun trail with a great view at the end

Very beautiful trail but bring lots of water. Views are amazing.

Went up Peralta to the saddle. Great hike got there around 5:15a and it was empty. Once we got the the first vantage point, went on to “The Tree” worth going all the way. Some shade at sunrise but after that it’s a baking beauty. Tough trail but doable for most everyone. Take water, none on this trail. No scrambling and very well marked!

Really nice views towards the top of this trail, the beginning is a little bit boring but it’s worth the work to get to the top! I did this trail today and it was 104° and quite hot! I just went slow and took many water breaks and it was actually quite lovely at the top. I think it was a little bit cooler up there. Highlight was seeing that Weavers needle just over the edge.

One of my favorite spots! True there can be a lot of people up to Humphrey’s saddle- but every time I go up and over I can spend most of the day with out seeing another person. You can’t go wrong with peralta either way- some of the best views around

Very beautiful hike, view at the top is breathtaking if you enjoy the lovely desert! Also some shade along the hike. Very nice when it's hot outside.

Peralta trail offers two paths to hike. The one to the left offers a trip to the wave cave. The hike to the right takes you to petroglyphs with water runoff from winter snow melts that taste exquisitely smooth like snow.

Loved this hike, especially the last ¼, super beautiful and unique terrain!

An AMAZING hike with different views and terrain around every turn.
Going back this Friday for everything is blooming !!! Can't wait to hike this trail again.

This is still one of my favorite trails. It’s beautiful with lots of places to rest along the way, including some shaded spots. Definitely one of the moderate ones that’s closer to difficult than easy, but doable for anyone who is willing to take the time. I took my three kids up ages 6 to 14 at the time. There was lots of resting, gameplaying, and snacks involved but they made it and it was awesome!

Great view from the saddle!

This is a gorgeous hike!!! There were hardly any other people out when I went, so it was a very nice experience. The view of weavers needle is superb. The desert is just glorious in these parts. I couldn’t stop taking photos. Oh, and I saw a collared lizard right off of the trail! I wouldn’t rate this trail as difficult though- more like moderate. But that doesn’t matter- highly recommend!

This is one of the most beautiful hikes I've done! I am 30 weeks pregnant and made it to the top, and so can You! the only thing I was not aware of was that it's about a 15 minute drive on a dirt road. besides that it was a beautiful trail with lots of gorgeous views! definitely worth the drive⛰

The perfect spring hike. Started at 7:45am and only 5 cars in lot. Was full but not overflowing when I returned 3 hours later. The trip to the lone pine is a must. Added probably 0.75 miles out and back to the tree. Gave a much better sense of scale of the needle and better views from that vantage point...and shade for an apple and hand ful of trail mix! Moderate rating is accurate. Varied terrain, nothing difficult. A great half day hike!

Great hike!! Took us longer than we expected but that was all the stops looking at rocks,cactus, lizards and more!!! Amazing views.

First real desert hike. So beautiful and different at every spot on the trail. I'm hooked. Can't wait to hike again.

Gorgeous. Beautiful views all along but particularly at the top overlooking the needle.

Fun trial with nice views! About 3 miles driving on easy dirt road to get to trail head. Free parking. Bathrooms. Moderately trafficked with some sporadic spots of shade but mostly exposed to sun.

Great views