Peralta Trail to Fremont Saddle

Peralta Trail to Fremont Saddle is a 5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Apache Junction, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and backpacking and is accessible year-round.

old growth

Went up Peralta to the saddle. Great hike got there around 5:15a and it was empty. Once we got the the first vantage point, went on to “The Tree” worth going all the way. Some shade at sunrise but after that it’s a baking beauty. Tough trail but doable for most everyone. Take water, none on this trail. No scrambling and very well marked!

Great view from the saddle!

This is a gorgeous hike!!! There were hardly any other people out when I went, so it was a very nice experience. The view of weavers needle is superb. The desert is just glorious in these parts. I couldn’t stop taking photos. Oh, and I saw a collared lizard right off of the trail! I wouldn’t rate this trail as difficult though- more like moderate. But that doesn’t matter- highly recommend!

This is my favorite hiking trail in the Phoenix area. Very do-able, just takes a while to complete. For me about three hours round trip. I’ve seen young children to elderly people at the top, observing the awesome view of Weavers Needle. Dog friendly, however, my ten month old Lab was a little tired the last mile. We came prepared with food, so with a bite to eat and a break, she was able to finish the hike on her own. Between the two of us I had three liters of water on me. Several shady spots on the path as well. Highly recommend!

Beautiful. The hike out to the first lookout is only 2.2 miles, but it’s easy to keep going and turn back depending on how long you want the hike to be. Clear path and no climbing. There were only a few stretches of steep hiking, but otherwise it was not too strenuous. I would say this is a fairly easy hike, even for beginner hikers!

I hiked this trail yesterday and I fell in love with it. The views, the little cave, etc. Magical!

Great Hike today!!! Loved the rocky incline workout and beautiful scenery, breathtaking!!!

We hiked 6.75 miles. Very scenic and the trail was nicely groomed. Not crazy about the 8 mile drive on dirt roads but definitely worth it.

Amazing. This was a hard hike as there were many steep inclines and rocks. Pretty heavily used trail but fantastic views. I was able to drive to the trailhead with a sedan the dirt roads were well maintained.

A pretty tough trail with 35lbs on your back. It is mostly incline on the way up. There's somewhat of a camping spot overlooking weavers needle but mornings and afternoons are pretty heavy with day hikers. Views are amazing and well worth the work.

great hike worth it

Great hike. I wouldn’t say this is hard.l though.

Loved this hike! We started at 7:30 AM and returned to the parking lot at 11:30 AM.

Great hike. Moderate incline to the saddle. When you reach Fremont Saddle, it’s an amazing view to see Weaver’s Needle a few miles ahead. Great spots to soak up the views, rest, take some photos and snack up.

Optional extension to the trail from Fremont Saddle is to the North/Northeast that follows a ridge line to a lone pine tree that dead ends. Gets you a little closer and another vantage point of Weavers Needle.

On the way back to the trailhead it’s a good opportunity to trail run with the decline in your favor.

Lots of interesting vegetation with trees shading dry creek beds, canyons and parts of the trail. Dramatic rock cliffs and breathtaking views of beautiful southwestern landscapes. Just the right amount of friendly, considerate people on the trail to feel in good company, with long stretches of solitude. Memorable December day in the Superstition Mountains.

Always fun. It’s beautiful if you ever get the chance to hike it with snow on the ground or right after a heavy rain.

The walk up is a bit of a work out if you are a beginner, but doable. I kept my pace up to get a good leg workout and can see doing some trail runs here. I did not realize I made it up to the saddle and continued on to the lone pine tree, truly inspired by this thriving tree, and awesome views.

Great hike.

Beautiful trail ! Will do again

We started this hike at 7:30am on a Saturday. Glad we went so early because it started to get very crowded. The parking lot was completely full when we finished. This is more of a moderate hike and not a hard hike. It took us 2 hours and 20min to finish the whole hike. We hiked into the saddle, took a few pictures and headed down. The views are absolutely stunning this entire hike. Dirt road is about 7 mile and we saw a lot of cars that were easily able to get there. Watch out for the rattle snakes.

Did this Easter Sunday for the first time. This is a Must Hike if you want to really get into the Supes and see spectacular views. The sight of Weavers as you hit the saddle is breathtaking. Definitely do the extra scramble to the Lone Pine and hang out for a bit and enjoy the view. If you start early in the morning you can have some shade for the first bit of the hike, the rest can be toasty even in Spring so definitely rest and hydrate on the way up, will be some good pockets of shade or outcroppings of rock you can rest under. I would not rate this hard unless you aren't used to desert hiking. I would rate it moderate as there isn't much skill required other than watching where you step and pacing yourself on hotter days.

Thursday, May 11, 2017

My favorite desert hike and the view of Weaver's Needle is a perfect reward after a steady climb.

Saturday, May 06, 2017

Great wide / open trail
Somewhat hard due to al steps and loose rocks, but not to difficult for a family hike. Not crowded, but it's also not isolated which is good for your safety. Take advantage of the shaded areas before the ascend, not much shade after mile and half. Watch out for snakes and keep hydrated.

Sunday, April 02, 2017

Beautiful moderate hike! The views at the top are great!! Bring lots of water and good shoes because there are a lot of loose rocks.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Great views! There are several trails that lead to the saddle- be sure to prepare properly. I recommend 3L of water and a snack.

Sunday, February 26, 2017

Huge disappointment. This trail is about as difficult as mall-walking. I've climbed stepladders that were more difficult.

The trail just peters out at the end. No sense of accomplishment. In the alternative, rather than following this trail into the valley where it peters out, I recommend continuing straight along the ridge line to the big pine tree toward the needle. Still not challenging, but at least you get a sense of accomplishment.

I would only recommend this trail if you want to take your grandma on a nature walk (she could probably drive her rascal on most of this trail), and you're willing to go on a weekday when there may be parking.

This trail's rating urgently needs to be changed to easy or medium. Nothing difficult or technical about it anywhere.

In the alternative, If you want something in this area that's a little more challenging, I recommend Wave Cave Trail. It's shorter but more difficult, and the cave at the end is totally worth it.

Having said all that, there were nice views and good scenery. Just don't expect a challenge.

Thursday, February 23, 2017

Saturday, February 04, 2017

Definitely a good workout especially for someone not in great shape like me. Beautiful views of Weavers Needle from Fremont Saddle. Was a bit challenging for the dog but the few shaded spots and access to water helped make this a tough but enjoyable hike for us both.
Only negative is the road in and the parking situation. I suggest going during the week as it was packed on Saturday.

Sunday, January 22, 2017