Pena Blanca Lake Trail is a 1.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Nogales, Arizona that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.6 miles Elevation Gain: 62 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed
fee

Trail showing on this map is closed. Follow other trail was able to hike 3.5 miles .

It's fast and easy kid friendly

Mon Jan 28 2019

Hard to find the trails

Thu Feb 15 2018

We hiked around the entire lake today, 2.87 or 2.97 miles according to my friends GPS tracker., I think entire hike only took a couple of hours, maybe slightly longer. The first half of the trail was pretty easy. After we crossed the dam it got a little trickier, definitely some slippery spots with lots of loose rocks, etc. We (4 adults, 2 large dogs), found our way around the entire lake staying near the shore. The trail was mostly easy to see & follow. The water level was quite low, I’m not sure we would’ve been able to do this if water level had been higher. Though our dogs did great & loved the adventure there were times we had to send one adult ahead, release the dog to manage the terrain on their own & then the other adult would follow. Maybe other hikers are used to this but we weren’t so I’m not sure I would recommend this hike with dogs & I definitely wouldn’t take younger children on the 2nd half of this hike. All in all we really enjoyed the hike & it was beautiful.

Thu Jan 05 2017

Trail is pretty easy and decent once you get closer to the lake. Weeds are tall, don't wear shorts lol. Past the damn however, it gets kind of dangerous especially if you have your dog with you (she almost fell into a ditch). Trail gets difficult, not well marked, narrow, rocky, inclines, etc. Would not go past halfway around the lake again! It was challenging getting back. Had to find a dirt road above and walked the main road instead after a long while.

Sat Feb 20 2016

Easy trail for the whole Family, flat and pet friendly.

paddle sports
Fri Jan 22 2016

Great hike! Description says 3 miles out/back but we chose to continue over the dam and around the entire lake. Maybe 6.5 miles? The last mile or so was off trail and made up but you can't get lost with the lake in view :)

Mon May 19 2014

Water is beautiful.

Sun May 18 2014

beautiful lake!!! to bad water had mercury couldn't fish but pretty none the less!! heard they drained it and refilled since I was there!

recorded Pena Blanca Lake Trail