Pena Blanca Lake Trail

Pena Blanca Lake Trail is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Nogales, Arizona that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

We hiked around the entire lake today, 2.87 or 2.97 miles according to my friends GPS tracker., I think entire hike only took a couple of hours, maybe slightly longer. The first half of the trail was pretty easy. After we crossed the dam it got a little trickier, definitely some slippery spots with lots of loose rocks, etc. We (4 adults, 2 large dogs), found our way around the entire lake staying near the shore. The trail was mostly easy to see & follow. The water level was quite low, I’m not sure we would’ve been able to do this if water level had been higher. Though our dogs did great & loved the adventure there were times we had to send one adult ahead, release the dog to manage the terrain on their own & then the other adult would follow. Maybe other hikers are used to this but we weren’t so I’m not sure I would recommend this hike with dogs & I definitely wouldn’t take younger children on the 2nd half of this hike. All in all we really enjoyed the hike & it was beautiful.

Thursday, January 05, 2017

Trail is pretty easy and decent once you get closer to the lake. Weeds are tall, don't wear shorts lol. Past the damn however, it gets kind of dangerous especially if you have your dog with you (she almost fell into a ditch). Trail gets difficult, not well marked, narrow, rocky, inclines, etc. Would not go past halfway around the lake again! It was challenging getting back. Had to find a dirt road above and walked the main road instead after a long while.

Saturday, February 20, 2016

Easy trail for the whole Family, flat and pet friendly.

paddle sports
Friday, January 22, 2016

Great hike! Description says 3 miles out/back but we chose to continue over the dam and around the entire lake. Maybe 6.5 miles? The last mile or so was off trail and made up but you can't get lost with the lake in view :)

Monday, May 19, 2014

Water is beautiful.

Sunday, May 18, 2014

beautiful lake!!! to bad water had mercury couldn't fish but pretty none the less!! heard they drained it and refilled since I was there!