Learn more

Paw Hole is a 1.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Marble Canyon, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from September until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.4 miles Elevation Gain: 183 feet Route Type: Loop

This is an off trail route where you can wander around and see tons of cool rock formations. Use the route here as a guide but know that you can make your trip shorter or longer easily. Toggle on our photos overlay to see spots where other AllTrails users are taking the best photos! Not as famous as it's close cousin, North Coyote Buttes (aka The Wave), the South Coyote region requires a bit more effort to get to, but well worth the visit. Lots of deep sand, walking sticks recommended, very cool rock formations. You can spend a short time or a lot depending on what you want to explore. Permit required.

Must have high clearance 4x4 to get to the trail-head. I have a FJ Cruiser and hit a few spots where I was dragging the high center and the sand is rough to get thru. There is no cell service and there is very little traffic in this part of Arizona so be prepared to wait a while if you need assistance. As far as the hike, it is deep sand with a mostly undefined route so use GPS and land nav skills to get to your spot. explore around, we found some amazing rock formations and I will give this place a close second to the actual Wave. It is neat to see the wind erosion on some of the rock formations. Will definitely come back for some night photography and light painting.

Definitely would've been better with 4WD, but wasn't horrible in January with the dirt/mud roads frozen. We didn't get stuck but I can see how one might if it were wet! Absolutely beautiful, such fragile structures that we were amazed to see in such great shape, despite being such a sought after hiking destination. You really feel like you're in a dream, the colors and shapes are something that look man-made, but it's all natural. Can't wait to go back.

Mon Feb 11 2019

Definitely need 4 wheel drive on house rock road and the road up to Paw Hole. Great rock formations and views all around.

Mon Nov 19 2018

I was able to get a permit on-line in advance. I parked at Lone Tree, right off of House Rock Rd, and walked up the sandy road to Paw Hole. I probably could have made it in my RAV4. Once you get up to Paw Hole, it's up to you where to go. There is a fenced in area, but I have no idea why or what the distinction is between what is inside and outside the fencing. There are some trails here and there, but basically you just wander around the amazing scenery, trying not to fall off any cliffs. I wandered far enough to need the AllTrails GPS tracking to find my way back to the road down to my car.

Sat Jul 28 2018

It’s great. If you’re keen to wander around to your hearts content. There at endless miles of awesome hoodoos to explore. We found some small pools and cooled off in them. Lots of wandering through desert sand. It was great fun. Not sure how the wave is, but this is probably better for the more adventurous.

Sat Jun 02 2018

very difficult to find (House Rock Road is marked as a BLM road) and get to without a 4 wheel drive, but we did. had to hike in the last couple of miles as we feared being stuck on the sandy road. There didn't appear to be a path, but you get yourselves right in the middle of these beautiful rock formations. give yourself most of the day.

Tue May 15 2018

Drove the BLM road from Hwy 89 to the Lone Tree Parking Area, then walked the 2.3 mile sandy road to the trail head as we were not driving a 4wd vehicle. Great decision as we surely wouldn’t have made it in our car, but the walk in was beautiful and made for a good workout! Paw Hole is a great exploratory adventure hike and absolutely gorgeous.

Mon May 14 2018

Be sure to get a permit [search the internet] before driving up this one lane sandy road. You need a 4WD vehicle and don't go before or during a rain as you will get stuck. Saw 2 vehicles with flats + I developed one one way out. Very rocky. How mother nature created all these swirled hills is amazing.

Fri Dec 08 2017

Lots of deep sand, recommend walking sticks, very cool rock formations. You can spend a short time or a lot depending on what you want to explore.

Fri Jul 07 2017

Long dirt road off Highway 89 that leads you to a parking area. Decided to drive our 4WD vehicle up to Paw Hole. There were a few times I thought we might get stuck. We made it to Paw Hole and explored for a few hours. The area is super sandy and there's not much shade. Worth seeing once but not sure I'd do it again.

recorded Paw Hole