Pass Mountain Trail

Pass Mountain Trail is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mesa, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.9 miles Elevation Gain: 961 feet Route Type: Loop

Great trail, lots of sun!

Great workout! The first and last 2 miles are pretty easy, mile 3 was tough, but worth the views. Competed alone in about 3 hours.

Great trail.

Great trail with solid views and enough elevation change to make for a moderately difficult trail run. Just an FYI that it is $7 per car to get into the park

Trail is 7.5 miles not 6.9 with awesome views the first 1/2 if you go clockwise. It took us 3 hours and 45 minutes with a 7 yr old and 10 yr old. As always bring plenty of water and a snack (especially if you have younger kids with you.)

This is a great trail to hike, it would be better for bikes if is wasn't so washed out in places. there are a couple spots with a good view, but most of the trail is pretty average. mostly like the trail for the loop.

Great hike. Be careful in the summer, make sure you eat and have at least two liters of water. Beautiful trail and it will wear you out. The only complaint is the rocks take a toll on your feet.

I was thinking that this would be a pretty weak hike. Although there wasn’t a tremendous elevation gain I was wore out at the end. In fact the whole fam was. There was very few people on the trail, I think most people do the wind cave trail. Pack plenty of water and some snacks, it took us 3 hours at a good pace. Great scenery.

Trail has several wash out places from all the rain we had but over it is a good hike in training for the Grand Canyon.

I got started later then I wanted, wound up hitting the trail at 10:30. I kept a good pace but went through all 3L of water before the end. I kept a pretty brisk pace and it took me nearly 3 hours.

Today was my first time doing this trail. I got a later start than I planned so it was a little hot. The views are terrific and it wasn’t very populated. Nice walk, not difficult, take plenty of water.

nice trail, start early & drink often...2 hours if you hustle...

Nice well-maintained trail. It's a little rocky in parts, but overall not very difficult. We parked and started out on the east side, not at the trailhead, so it wasn't too busy. We also did a really early morning hike of it, and got some nice city views with the lights. Once you get to the backside and all you see is the mountains on the other side it gets especially nice, and with the sunrise we got some nice pictures.

Nice hike. very scenic views. Much better to hike in Nov. Dec. not July. Went through 3l of water and a powerade.

Peaceful. Breathtaking . views galore.

take some bug spray. the little black ones don't bite but are pesty. started the trail at 6:30am which was perfect considering it is 85 by 9:30. love the trail!

holy hell the flies were insane. also watch out for the bees at the very top. still a great hike regardless

I loved this trail. Was there at 7:30 am on this past Sunday and it was wonderful. Moderate is exactly right, and not crowded at all. I will do this one again for sure.

This is a great hike not as crowded and busy as wind cave depending on the time you go. I recommend you go early to get parking and it’s better weather in the morning. Just bring bug spray and be ready to move out of the way because this trail is open to mountain bikers and runners but it’s still very nice and has great view and beautiful plant life.

Kicked my butt. Great hike. If it was 5 miles rather than 7 it would have been perfect length and altitude change. The last 2 really dragged it out of me at the pace I was doing. Right now the whole mountain is covered in grass and wildflowers. Did it heading to the right/south/counter-clockwise at first. I recommend this because going left/north/clockwise is a much longer and prolonged uphill before you summit the saddle. This way you can summit quickly with a prolonged downhill rather than a loooooong 4 mile prolonged uphill climb and a steep downhill. It’s beautiful on the back/east side up on the saddle. If you do it late afternoon-evening the sun will be blocked along most of the trail. I cannot fathom why someone would do this anytime from May-October. I had cell-phone service for 95% of the hike so take enough water and you’ll be good on any safety concerns. Footing is rocky and can be loose the entirety of the hike. Overall nothing awful or too technical. I know some guys run this start to finish and if you have the stamina of a mountain-goat then good for you, but for the rest of us mortals it can be whatever you want it to be difficulty wise. You could take 3-4 hours and it wouldn’t be super tough. I pushed it out in a litte over 2 hours. That was my 6’4” stride going as quickly as I can without actually jogging.

Great run!

An overall decent hike. Did the loop counterclockwise. The terrain itself is on the easy side. I think it’s rated moderate because of the mileage. $7 to park at the trailhead. Nice panoramic views once you get to the back of the mountain. Saw more mountain bikers than hikers, but each one was courteous. Rattlesnakes have been spotted on the trail recently, though I didn’t encounter one. One thing that I found odd was that there were LOTS of flies. I spent a good 2-2.5 miles trying to get away from them. Go early, parking lot fills up fast due to the very popular Wind Cave Trail (Pass Mountain Trail and Wind Cave Trail share the same parking lot)