Pass Mountain Trail

Pass Mountain Trail is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mesa, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Beautiful scenery, but I was disappointed because I thought the hike would actually take you UP the mountain. While there is some elevation gain, it’s fairly gradual and does not take you anywhere near the top of the mountain. Completed in 3 hours, including a lunch break. Several parts deemed unsuitable for horse back riding or biking, but I saw other do it. See photos for difficult portions of the trail.

I have a new favorite hike! Beautiful views await! Hiked to the trail from mckellips which made for a total round trip of 10.75 miles. Went counter-clockwise as I prefer to ascend the rocky side than descend. Enjoy!

The views on this trail are gorgeous! You can see from AJ and Mesa to seeing the fountain in Fountain Hills! It offers some difficulty in the east side of the mountain, but overall a pretty moderate hike!

Beautiful views. Love this hike. Moderate. Not to difficult. If you’re older, you need to be in decent shape. Lots of rock on east side as others have commented on. Some elevation not hand and foot. You need to be sure footed. If you like your last miles down hill, go counter clockwise. We started at the Wind Cave Trail Head , and went right. There are a lot of people using this trail. If you’re doing the entire loop start early. Not a lot of shade. I’m 72 , did the 8 mile loop in about 3.5 hr. with rest ,(taking in the views), eating and water breaks.

Great hike! Beautiful views one of my favorite hikes in Az

First and last quarter we're necessary entry/exit jaunts. The middle two quarters were beautiful, visually inspiring and a good healthy elevation gain and return. A very good morning hike close to the eastern side of the valley!

A very good trail to run. It would be fun to bike, too. I haven't biked it personally. But it would be a good beginner course.

Really liked, love the views! Took us 3 hours at a comfortable pace with our dogs and multiple water breaks. All sun, little shade. Hiked counter clock wise, happy we did. Definitely moderate, no real hard or super technical areas. Rocky on east side as others have stated, but not terrible. A bit busier trail. Lots of dogs off leash - can't stand that on busy trails.

The comment about rocks was accurate. Part was sheer rock. Loved this hike.

This is a fantastic trail! Just did this again on Sat morning and made it up for sunrise. Wow!! Amazing views!

Beautiful views, but the back and south side of the trail is really rocky so plan accordingly.

Beautiful!! Lots of variety, not many other hikers. It’s one I would like to do again.

Nice hike with some really spectacular views. We hiked it clockwise. Western 1/2 of the trail is mostly hard pack earth, sand or gravel. Eastern 1/2 you start getting into some rocks and some loose footing which makes this a moderate trail.

Hiked solo! Took me about 4 hours and I am an average hiker. Moderate level for sure. From Usery Park at the trailhead I took the east side first and sure glad I did...end of hike was smooth and easier than first half. No shade at all on hike but the views were SPECTACULAR! Highly recommend this hike.

Awesome hike. I would definitely recommend

Love this hike in the spring when the brittle bush is blooming and cascading down the mountain like a huge waterfalls.

Beautiful Hike, little rough!

Great hike to do if it’s not too hot. Very nice views.

Love this trail..the terrain is amazing and always keeps your eyes in amazement

My wife and I completed this hike today and it was pretty nice. We started at the Meridian Road parking lot and did the full loop counterclockwise. The east side (first half) was good climbing and got our heart rate up. Not too difficult though. Great views all along the way. We found the trail on the west side much easier than the east side. The last third across the south was very flat sand and rock. Although the desert is nice we didn't enjoy that as much as the elevated parts of the trail. Met quite a few people on trail but it was still mostly quiet and nice. Excellent trail for a moderate hiker.