Pass Mountain Trail

Pass Mountain Trail is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mesa, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

The miles are definitely miscalculated and the trail map available at the ranger's office tells you that it is 7 miles or so. I hiked this trail more than ten times and it's a pleasure every time, not to mention the great views and solitude. It's 10 miles from starting point and back to the trail head. I recommend it!!!

Second time we went there made a lot of stops to enjoy the beautiful view. Go early and take plenty of water and comfortable shoes.

Great trail for running!

My personal favorite hiking trail. Not tough, but long enough to get a good hike in.

One of the better “city hikes” - not too many people there on a weekend - some fairly steep inclines. Would do it again

Super awesome running trail! Great views!
We went counterclock-wise & started with the hills. Bring water!

Great trail and amazing views

So we actually went about a mile and a half further than we thought we are going to. But it was beautiful today, and the scenery was stunning. I do suggest going early in the morning as I could see it gets hot- there is definitely no shade but plenty of photo opportunities. People to bring their dogs but I do worry dogs will get overwhelmed... I would definitely do it again but make sure to bring water and be prepared to walk at least 10 miles if you need. That means wear good socks and bring sunglasses

Awesome hike and there's usually not a lot of people so if you need to think deeply and immerse yourself in nature, it's a great hike. Nice elevation changes without killing yourself.

Nice mix of easier and challenging sections. Great views if you take the time to enjoy them. I got 7.35 miles the couple times I’ve run this trail.

Great trail, 13 km and we finished in 2 hours and 45 minutes. We went clock wise so the steepest part of the trail is when you’re descending near the end.

First time to AZ hiking, entered off road. Should have used GPS, struggled a little finding trailhead we came in on, was all good though. Awesome trail!

Great trail, but, someone is not right about the miles. I used 3 different device's (at the same time) and got an average of 7.9 miles. GPS times 3. Steps useless. The map ???.
But a great hike no matter the distance....who's counting anyway??

Beautiful scenery! I think I needed to be in a little better shape. But would want to go for it again.

Came to Mesa with my Dad for Cubs spring training. We found this trail to be highly recommended for trail running by the park ranger. Absolutely stunning and beautiful views. Loose rocks on the northern side can make for some tricky footing and more walking than running. Highly recommended for trail running.

Great walk with dog.

Beautiful scenery, but I was disappointed because I thought the hike would actually take you UP the mountain. While there is some elevation gain, it’s fairly gradual and does not take you anywhere near the top of the mountain. Completed in 3 hours, including a lunch break. Several parts deemed unsuitable for horse back riding or biking, but I saw other do it. See photos for difficult portions of the trail.

I have a new favorite hike! Beautiful views await! Hiked to the trail from mckellips which made for a total round trip of 10.75 miles. Went counter-clockwise as I prefer to ascend the rocky side than descend. Enjoy!

The views on this trail are gorgeous! You can see from AJ and Mesa to seeing the fountain in Fountain Hills! It offers some difficulty in the east side of the mountain, but overall a pretty moderate hike!

Beautiful views. Love this hike. Moderate. Not to difficult. If you’re older, you need to be in decent shape. Lots of rock on east side as others have commented on. Some elevation not hand and foot. You need to be sure footed. If you like your last miles down hill, go counter clockwise. We started at the Wind Cave Trail Head , and went right. There are a lot of people using this trail. If you’re doing the entire loop start early. Not a lot of shade. I’m 72 , did the 8 mile loop in about 3.5 hr. with rest ,(taking in the views), eating and water breaks.

Great hike! Beautiful views one of my favorite hikes in Az

First and last quarter we're necessary entry/exit jaunts. The middle two quarters were beautiful, visually inspiring and a good healthy elevation gain and return. A very good morning hike close to the eastern side of the valley!

A very good trail to run. It would be fun to bike, too. I haven't biked it personally. But it would be a good beginner course.

Really liked, love the views! Took us 3 hours at a comfortable pace with our dogs and multiple water breaks. All sun, little shade. Hiked counter clock wise, happy we did. Definitely moderate, no real hard or super technical areas. Rocky on east side as others have stated, but not terrible. A bit busier trail. Lots of dogs off leash - can't stand that on busy trails.

The comment about rocks was accurate. Part was sheer rock. Loved this hike.

This is a fantastic trail! Just did this again on Sat morning and made it up for sunrise. Wow!! Amazing views!

Beautiful views, but the back and south side of the trail is really rocky so plan accordingly.

Beautiful!! Lots of variety, not many other hikers. It’s one I would like to do again.

Nice hike with some really spectacular views. We hiked it clockwise. Western 1/2 of the trail is mostly hard pack earth, sand or gravel. Eastern 1/2 you start getting into some rocks and some loose footing which makes this a moderate trail.