Panorama Trail

Panorama Trail is a 9.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Lakeside, Arizona that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, horses, and mountain biking and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Lakeside: Drive on State Highway 260 towards McNary. Turn left on Porter Mountain Road (Forest Road 45). Drive 6.0 miles towards Vernon. Trailhead is on Forest Road 206.

Not too strenuous at all a few hills but nothing too major. Very rocky. Very long took us 4 hours to do the whole loop, we did take a few breaks. Several spots with great views for photo ops. Make sure you follow the white diamonds and you cross over a few dirt roads. There is also a shortcut about 4 miles in - follow the white diamonds with the yellow dot, I'd say this cuts about 4 miles off the 9.3 but I'm not sure, just a guess but it is a significant shortcut

Good length for a couple hours hike. Some pretty panoramic views but not as many as you might expect. Not very much elevation gain so good for someone who has bad knees or doesn't want the challenge of a mountain.

My boyfriend and I are seasoned hikers and were in the area looking for a fun long hike. To be honest, we were a bit disappointed. There weren't that many great scenic points for how long the trail was. It was a great length for a good afternoon activity, but I'd say it is more of an easy rated trail for a quiet enjoyable walk through the woods.

Cool trail, although pretty hard for me. If you are out of shape and/or not used to the altitude, it will be a great workout. I am both, so I was really huffing at times. Also, I am an experienced bike rider, but not an experienced trail rider. There are two sections at the beginning and end, which have tons of fist-sized rocks. If you go clockwise, the section after about 2-3 miles is very downhill and the one towards the end is very uphill. I had to get off and walk. Great scenery, great views, fresh air. 9 am on a Saturday, I saw two riders in the parking area, and two horse trailers, but I did not see anyone on the trail. It is well-marked, as are most WMTS trails. Going clockwise, towards the end, the trail criss-crosses a big dirt road and is a bit confusing. Just stay on the road and keep your eyes peeled off the road to the left looking for the white diamonds to start again.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Great trail markings

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Awesome trail. Great single track, not very rocky. Follow trail clockwise for the most fun.

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Monday, August 01, 2016

Did the short loop today, wonderful views from the ridge. Well marked and easy to follow. Lucky enough to a coyote and some beautiful wild flowers. Just made it back to the car before an amazing storm hit. So glad we paid attention to forecast and hiked early, parts of this trail are very exposed and would be quite scary in a thunderstorm

Tuesday, July 19, 2016