Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Overton Trail Loop

Overton Trail Loop is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cave Creek, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I took a nice hike today on the trail. It's as beautiful as usual out there this time of year

Good hiking trail but a better mt biking trail, nice and wide to accommodate everyone including the many horse riders !

Trial is awesome! But dusty and smelly in the beginning as it shared with horses!

I did the trail going clockwise and extended it by 2 miles by continuing north on the Go John Trail and then onto the Maricopa Trail to the roadway. I would rate the first half of the hike as moderate, the rest fairly easy The views are just average for the area and there was no shade at all, so I would avoid this trail during summer.

Early morning hike. Many beautiful vistas and still abundant with wild flowers. This is a shared trail with horses so it’s dusty in areas where the ground has been eroded by them. Very nice hike though!

I enjoyed this trail and the chance to see the beautiful blooming of the desert. Midday it was very hot and yes navigating numerous horse droppings was part of the experience. Glad I took the loop from south to north. As the last mile or so (the portion of the Go John trail) was downhill. Had I done the opposite direction it would have been much more challenging.

Took the loop counter clockwise for a perfect sunset run. Took about 30-40min to run (and stop for photo ops) to get to to the West side. Well worth the sprints to get there. Amazing view.

This trail was moderate. I am over 65 and I took my little dog. It was a cool day, 65 degrees so I never needed water. I started out on the Clay Mine trail from the Cave Creek campground which added another .8mi. I made the Overton loop and back to Cave Creek campground, about 5.7 mi total. The hike was amazing. Great views and wild flowers. There is a good deal of horse traffic but I love horses so it was a welcome sight.

recorded Overton Trail Loop

Lots of horse tours passing by around the trailhead

Great trail! Would definitely do it again!

Nice trail. A good mix of hills and flat areas. The horse droppings is the only reason I won’t visit again. Horse dropping are numerous and pungent.

Very easy hike, views are spectacular. We saw some mule deer on the return to the trail head. Lots of horses on the trail -

Love this trail. Very scenic. We went clock wise direction And it seemed to be more of a gentle incline than going counter clockwise. Lots of small ups and downs and curves made it fun. Last part completing the loop is along the road which is not nice. Wasn’t too crowded. Most of the time we had the solitude that we enjoy when hiking.

well maintained trail. We went left at the trail head. We saw amazing views and a couple lizards. The trail was not difficult.

Some great views with minimal climbing, watch out for horse droppings.

Loved the trail. Only the horse droppings kept me from giving it 5 stars. It will not keep me from doing it again because it was just the right length, challenge and beautiful views.

gorgeous views, relatively easy trail! beautiful for a cool winter day in January!

Very nice trail, but the horse piles were a bit annoying. The last bit of the trail was just road and parking lot.

Nice hike for those short of time and still want hike. Easy hike with desert views. Meets up with the Go John trail as you head back to the trailhead.

Just completed this trail this morning. A nice steady hike, gentle gradients and some nice scenery. Yes, it's also used by horses so you need to tread carefully. We'll be back soon

Great trail. Once you get past the horse shit it is a fantastic trail. Great for a dog!

Low traffic and beautiful scenery...one of our favorites!!

Moderate hike...not too intense but a nice workout. Did the Overton trail loop. Beautiful!!

love this Trail have walked it many times if you walk it clockwise it's harder more up hills nice and scenic

It is more of an easy trail rather then Moderate. great views but had to share the trail with horses and Mountain Bike riders which was not an ideal situation, The trail is very well marked and the entire park is gorgeous, so it's worth one trip.

Great hike. Beautiful views! On the easy side of moderate. I would definitely recommend it.

Went counter-clockwise. Great hike up the hill out of the valley and nice easy descent. Had the place to ourselves early on a weekday. Highly recommended.

All elevation changes were gradual and not difficult. Great trail for kids!

The perfect scenic trail. Never crowded so you get the place to yourself.