For a limited time only, save 30% on a year of AllTrails Pro!
Get Started
Learn more

Outlaw OHV Trail is a 23.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Sedona, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for bird watching and ohv/off road driving.

Length 23.2 mi Elevation gain 1,551 ft Route type Loop

No shade

Historic site

Description
Waypoints (0)

Most of this trail is a gravel road passable by any vehicle. The OHV trail proper requires at least AWD and good clearance but not necessarily an OHV.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (73)
Photos (76)
Recordings (46)
Completed (105)
Joseph Greenbaum
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 26, 2020

The trail was neat. Though could only get so far in a Subaru Crosstrek. There are steps to go down. Had to turn around.

Bill McKusick
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 5, 2020
HikingGreat!
View Bill's Recording
Sarah McCarthy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 3, 2020
Hiking

We took an Outback up to the Honanki heritage site. Road is pretty tame up to that point. Heritage site is worth the trip.

View Sarah's Recording
Brandon Jenkins
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 1, 2020
Hiking

Fun route easily navigated. The ruins are definitely worth a stop and the staff was friendly. 2-3 sections are a little steep and could be difficult without a high clearance vehicle but for the most part any truck/suv would make it. We did it on a Wed around 10:30AM and the traffic was light. Fun times and I would recommend if you’re looking for an easy to intermediate off road adventure while in Sedona.

Joseph Kelley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 26, 2020
OHV/Off Road DrivingGreat!Rocky

This is a very nice, easy-to-follow trail through the Secret Mountain area of west Sedona. If you like vistas, there's plenty. From the high points you can see all the way to Courthouse Rock to the southeast and Jerome to the west. It deserves its "moderate" rating and can be navigated with two-wheel drive vehicles as long as you have good clearance. There's lots of berms in the twists if sliding an ATV around corners is your thing and a few "crawly" spots for 4-wheelin'. There are plenty of pull-offs and wide spots to handle two-way traffic and Outlaw Trail passes both the Honanki and Palatki ruins if you'd like to take the tour while you're out. I advise an early start because this is one of the most popular OHV trails in Sedona and traffic can get a bit heavy.

Jonathan Causey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 10, 2020
ClosedFee

I rented a full size Rzr since I had a couple of friends in town. We started in Sedona, did Broken Arrow, then back to Diamondback Gulch, and finally outlaw trail. I wish they would have warned us at Redrock ATV rentals, that one of the ruin sites was closed, and the other closed at 3PM. We got to the ruin site at 2:45 PM and were turned away. if I would have known, we would have hit this trail first. Very disappointed in the management of this area. I don't know how ruins who have been there for hundreds of years can be "closed". Oh because they want to capitalize off of something that belongs to everyone.

Vinny & Priscilla Loiodici
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 13, 2020
HikingOff trail

Loved this trail definitely easy

Jessica Bosak
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 25, 2020
OHV/Off Road DrivingNo shadeRocky
View Jessica's Recording
Red Travels
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarApril 11, 2020
HikingRocky

Read through previous reviews who said this was doable in a Tundra. We also tried it in a Tundra and had to turn around at one point because there were steep, rocky drops. The scenery was just okay, but nothing to rave about. The trail does bring you toward the ruins, but they’re obviously closed right now. If you can do it in a side by side, I’m sure this trail would be awesome. In a truck though, it’s just boring.

Ryan Parra
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 17, 2020
Hiking

Honesty, after the reviews I was expecting more as far as in off roading and views. I took my stock 2019 4X4 Tacoma and never had to use 4WD... I took the trail clock wise and just the first half or so was an actual off roading trail, the other half was a maintained road to the old native American structures, P.S. the site hours are from 9:30 to 3, we showed up at 2:55 and they had just locked up... I guess this trail would be good if you had a 2WD vehicle or have done little to no off roading before.

View Ryan's Recording
Nick Hyatt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 10, 2020
OHV/Off Road DrivingMuddy
View Nick's Recording
Gabrielle Press
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 4, 2020
OHV/Off Road DrivingRocky
View Gabrielle's Recording
Richard Stokes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 30, 2019
OHV/Off Road DrivingMuddyRocky
View Richard's Recording
Jon Trejo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarDecember 15, 2019
HikingMuddyOff trailRocky

Highly recommend doing the loop counter clock-wise. First 8 miles are great for inexperienced offroaders. Loved ALL the MUD. We did the trail in a stock 2013 JKU with 31" tires. Only had 2 minimal scrapes (that we could have avoided). Take the time to do the Honanki Ruins 1 mi trail. There's also bathrooms and picnic tables to eat at at start of the trail. Talked to the ranger for some cool history. If you come in December, make sure you bring a jacket because it was pretty chilly (38 degrees) from noon to 3pm.

View Jon's Recording
Josh Kampmeier
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 2, 2019
OHV/Off Road DrivingMuddyRocky

Ran this trail in my Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x2 with no problems. Based on some previous reviews I expected we might not make it through the difficult side of the loop, but that little Billy goat of a truck climbed the rocks with no problems. Just need to know how to navigate the terrain. When you need a little momentum, and watch your clearance. Really a super fun trail. My wife even drove part of the less technical part and loved it.

Jeff Myers
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 29, 2019
OHV/Off Road DrivingMuddy

We went late in the day on Thanksgiving. It was raining so mud was pretty deep. We drove the entire route, including the loop which is rough but not too tough. Don’t recommend trying it without 4x4. We drove a Tundra with a 3” lift and 35’s. It handled it all easily. I didn’t have to use 4 low even with the mud. Views were spectacular, especially with the storm. Only downside is access to the ruins was closed at 3:00 so we didn’t get to see them. Fun off road trail. Especially with the mud!

Nicholas De Pauw
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 4, 2019
OHV/Off Road DrivingRocky

I had a lot of fun. I went left and really enjoyed it. 4x4 with lift is needed. If you go right it is smooth sailing. Just turn around at the ruins. I lived this drive. Views were great didn’t see a single person until I reached the ruins. The ruins are worth taking a walk around.

View Nicholas's Recording
Clay Selman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 15, 2019
HikingOver grownRocky

I feel the difficulty of this trail is incorrect. I would see it as a more moderate trail. We drove it in a stock 2015 Tundra and it took us 3 hours. The trail is overgrown and it's very easy to get Arizona pin striping (scratches). I wish I would have known this before we went. I have to get out several times to cut brush so I wouldn't mess up my paint. You will definitely need 4x4, and you can take a stock vehicle but it's not easy. Have to be careful and hit certain spots just right or you'll loose a bumper. I would feel much more comfortable on a side by side taking this trail. It was not fun in our Tundra.

Anton Kabanov
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 4, 2019
OHV/Off Road Driving

Did the trail in a 2018 Honda Pilot Touring. Poor departure angle and ground clearance made it a real challenge. Made it out unscathed but had to put the car in diagonal more than a couple of times

Steve User
HikingRockyScrambleWashed out

Great trail. DO THE LOOP COUNTER CLOCKWISE. The north side of the loop is for experienced 4x4 drivers. we just made it all the way in our 4runner. Unless u have a lift you wont be able to do the whole trail. have fun. our 4runner killed it!