Onyx Bridge Trail

Onyx Bridge Trail is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Chambers, Arizona that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This hike can require navigational skills. The beginning of the hike is steep but then it levels out a bit.

Plus: spots with boat loads of petrified wood. Beautiful colors in the initial descent. The “bridge” was quite long.

Pitfalls: hard to find your way because there is no trail. The map here was not accurate. Be sure to visit the Inn at the top and go through their guidebook. The badlands are seemingly endless. This place would be scary during a flash flood. There had been lots of moisture recently and the dirt was very soft. This would be too difficult if muddy. Not the type of hike I typically like to do.

The bridge was cool, but it’s not like the bridge that is on the south side of the park, which clears the ground by quite a bit. This one clears a wash by just a couple inches. A waterfall flows a few feet beyond during a flash flood.

This is by far the best way to see the park! Be prepared to way-find. Stop by the ranger at the Inn for some navigation tips and a visual way finding guide. Don’t rely on GPS alone! Half the steps you see on the ground are lost people... We lucked out and made it straight to the bridge. Please be responsible and respectful of this beautiful place.

Great hike with incredible views as a pay off! It was pretty muddy from a recent snow that was still melting but only bad in a few places. I would definitely recommend this trail but be warned the last part is a climb straight up!

The AllTrails route loosely follows a few washes, but you can pretty much go whichever way you want to reach the Onyx Bridge. Drop a pin where the bridge is before setting out.

I’m giving this trail 4 stars because it doesn’t take you to the Onyx Bridge or the Black Forest, but just around the washout.

Otherwise, this trail is a great way to see the Petrified Forest! There isn’t a trail after you get out into the open, so we were just wandering around by ourselves. We started at the same time two campers started, but we were only on the same path for about ten minutes. You can see the building you park at/hike down from the entire time, so you can’t really get lost. Once we pulled up AllTrails, we realized we were supposed to follow the washout around. We only did that side of the trail, looked around for Onyx Bridge for a few minutes (didn’t find it), then got back on the “trail” and walked past the washout into the Black Forest. We saw two tarantulas, so keep your eyes open.

I definitely would not rate this trail as hard. The hardest part was the climb back up to the parking lot because it is straight up. Everything else is flat and easy and open. We explored for about 4 hours, and when we were done, took a straight shot back toward the building.

This was a terrific hike. Stunning views. There are no “trails” to follow. But if you use the map here on the app go past the top of the suggested trail and you will be amazed at all the big petrified trees you will see. I went after it rained and it got a little muddy. I spent most of the day there and easily hiked 10+ miles.

You can follow this map to an extent but it won’t lead you directly to the onyx bridge. At the visitor center they have ‘off the map hiking trails’ I would highly advise picking one up. It was a good reference until the very, very end. I google searched onyx bridge coordinates and kept up the destination in my maps..it lead us directly there! Also, on Apple maps there’s a mark that says it’s onyx bridge but it isn’t..so follow the coordinates and happy hiking!

This was an enjoyable hike. Glad we had this app and GPS. We used it quite a bit and it helped a lot. The trail was pretty easy to stay on until we got into the “wilderness” then we pretty much stayed in the wash and relying on the GPS. When we got to the turn around point we climbed hills and explored all of the petrified wood which didn’t disappoint. It was pretty impressive. We didn’t ever find the Onyx Bridge and that wasn’t from the lack of trying, but that’s ok because it was still good. I think the hike is rated hard because of the switchbacks at the beginning and end of the hike and the lack of marked trails.

Saturday, November 25, 2017

Hiked the trail with my wife and my Daughter with her dog Chester. The trail was very easy except when we went straight up the mountain only to come back down. The petrified trees were cool to see and lots of them. The frost coolest thing about the hike is doing it with family the second was the mountain. You will need this app or a map and compass because the trail is not marked and you need to follow a track or wing it. We followed the track in this app and did not find the bridge.

Thursday, September 07, 2017

Amazing hike to test your navigation skills! You either need to be good with maps and compass or GPS to find the bridge. I backpacked and camped out there, not finding the bridge that night, but woke up and discovered that I set up camp very close to it at least! Enjoy the silence out there, it is wonderful. I wish I had recorded the hike for the map, but once you get down the rim there is no trail, which makes is interesting. Having the Painted Desert Inn as a reference point is a plus for this type of hiking.

Friday, February 03, 2017

Fun to locate using navigational skills as the trail runs out, stopped here for a bit on our way to the wilderness area for an overnight camp.

Friday, July 29, 2016

Interesting, not great, but take your time and enjoy the moment

Monday, March 28, 2016

Not the trail that takes you to Onyx Bridge. The rim trail is okay though, not the best views of the park though.

Monday, September 22, 2014

The trail is a straight forward walk back to a petrified log that the soil has eroded out from under it. Not spectacular. The fun is using your navigation skills to find it by following a topographical map to pin point it. Overall a nice walk through the corner of the desert. Also it contains the remnant of a pioneer rock bridge over a gully.