Onyx Bridge Trail

Onyx Bridge Trail is a 4.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Chambers, Arizona that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This hike can require navigational skills. The beginning of the hike is steep but then it levels out a bit.

You can follow this map to an extent but it won’t lead you directly to the onyx bridge. At the visitor center they have ‘off the map hiking trails’ I would highly advise picking one up. It was a good reference until the very, very end. I google searched onyx bridge coordinates and kept up the destination in my maps..it lead us directly there! Also, on Apple maps there’s a mark that says it’s onyx bridge but it isn’t..so follow the coordinates and happy hiking!

This was an enjoyable hike. Glad we had this app and GPS. We used it quite a bit and it helped a lot. The trail was pretty easy to stay on until we got into the “wilderness” then we pretty much stayed in the wash and relying on the GPS. When we got to the turn around point we climbed hills and explored all of the petrified wood which didn’t disappoint. It was pretty impressive. We didn’t ever find the Onyx Bridge and that wasn’t from the lack of trying, but that’s ok because it was still good. I think the hike is rated hard because of the switchbacks at the beginning and end of the hike and the lack of marked trails.

Hiked the trail with my wife and my Daughter with her dog Chester. The trail was very easy except when we went straight up the mountain only to come back down. The petrified trees were cool to see and lots of them. The frost coolest thing about the hike is doing it with family the second was the mountain. You will need this app or a map and compass because the trail is not marked and you need to follow a track or wing it. We followed the track in this app and did not find the bridge.

Amazing hike to test your navigation skills! You either need to be good with maps and compass or GPS to find the bridge. I backpacked and camped out there, not finding the bridge that night, but woke up and discovered that I set up camp very close to it at least! Enjoy the silence out there, it is wonderful. I wish I had recorded the hike for the map, but once you get down the rim there is no trail, which makes is interesting. Having the Painted Desert Inn as a reference point is a plus for this type of hiking.

Friday, February 03, 2017

Fun to locate using navigational skills as the trail runs out, stopped here for a bit on our way to the wilderness area for an overnight camp.

Friday, July 29, 2016

Interesting, not great, but take your time and enjoy the moment

Monday, March 28, 2016

Not the trail that takes you to Onyx Bridge. The rim trail is okay though, not the best views of the park though.

Monday, September 22, 2014

The trail is a straight forward walk back to a petrified log that the soil has eroded out from under it. Not spectacular. The fun is using your navigation skills to find it by following a topographical map to pin point it. Overall a nice walk through the corner of the desert. Also it contains the remnant of a pioneer rock bridge over a gully.

Saturday, February 11, 2017