O'Leary Peak Trail

O'Leary Peak Trail is a 9.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Flagstaff, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.6 miles Elevation Gain: 2,014 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This trail is a maintenance/access road for the tower at the peak. No scrabble. Loose small gravel. Great vistas and views all around.

Beautiful hike near Sunset Crater.

Very little shade, gradual climb to the top. Stunning views and list of wild flowers!

I attempted O'Leary with my husband and dog on Labor Day 9/2. We had hiked Humphrey's the previous day and Kendrick the day before that, so our legs were pretty tired, but we figured we would give it a shot since O'Leary has less elevation gain. What we did not fully appreciate is that the trail is almost entirely crushed volcanic rock. We started at 8:30 am and decided to turn around at 9:30 am because the rock was already starting to get hot. There are only small patches of shade. We made it 2.7 miles in that hour, then spent 50 minutes on the return 2.7 miles. I think we'll try it again if we're ever near Flagstaff in the future, but we'll need to start very early or leave our pup behind.

Only hiked part of this with my wife as we didn’t bring food or much water but did 5.4 miles total. Decently steep incline for parts and great views of sunset crater volcano.

The trail was a nice gravel road. The first three miles went quickly but the last 2 miles were a challenge, and the final 25 yards were brutal! The view from the top was amazing!

Very nice hike fire road all the way...last mile got challenging but worth it at the top. Went up in the rangers tower awesome views. Take extra water....light lunch at the top ... perfect afternoon.

What a great workout! The views from the fire lookout were amazing making the hike up worth it.

I have done Humphreys a couple of times but took one of my dogs out for the first time. The trail definitely tired her out but the views were beautiful at the top. Next time I will do Kendricks peak only because the black gravel got too hot for my dog. Otherwise it was a pleasant workout and views at the top were beautiful. Also, there is potable water at the top if you need a refill.

This hike is one of my favorite in Flag! The views are so stunning it looks fake! It is an old four wheel drive road but other than the lookout tower operator you won’t see a car. It makes it nice if you have a dog because no stepping up off the trail to let people pass. Cons: the first part of the hike is like sand. Makes footing a little difficult. It is an old road so it is a constant steady climb with no other type of footing/movement. It can be repetitive and a little painful on the hip flexors! Pros: great for dogs and trail runners with lots of space. Views views views! The lava fields are a super fun addition to the scenery Pretty shaded other than two or three long swaths Great for your first peak hike

This trail is difficult!! The gravel road almost seemed to make it harder. Just a warning - we hiked with our dog and he could not make it the whole way because the gravel was too hot and there was not much shade. Beautiful views at the top but definitely more of a difficult trail than moderate.

The trail follows the road up to the lookout tower, staffed during fire season. We made it more adventuresome than necessary, following an old two track from Robinson Mountain, and cutting over to the fire road. Got to the top and was surprised to know the lookout staff person. So we got invited up. What a view!

Not my favorite hike just because it’s entirely on a gravel road. There’s some interesting scenery and it’s definitely a workout, especially the last 1-2 miles from the top. It’s just a little monotonous because it’s so long and it’s all gravel. It was a good experience but I don’t know if I’ll be doing it again.

Beautiful views up and down. Lovely trail, fire road the whole way.

Trail is a gravel service road which makes this long hike a little easier. The constant incline the entire hike in makes miles 3-5 the hardest. Very buggy at the top.

Out of 56 hikes up O'Leary, this (4/21/19) was one of the best weather wise. No snow on the road either.

Hiked dec 19, not much snow on the ground. Trail is easy to follow. For the first few miles it’s just a nice stroll through the forest the last half you get some elevation gain till you reach the peak. Beautiful views of Humphrey and the Grand Canyon.

I hiked it on December 1st 2018. I was the only car in the parking lot when I started at 7 a.m. and fairly cold but not windy. I took my first break at the CableBondage Switchback.. it goes sharp right. my second break was at the iron Gate, the Switchback that goes sharp left and a great view of the Lookout Tower. then, depending on your pace, you're at the top in 30 to 40 minutes and a Grandview!! it was sunny at the Summit but there was a bitter cold wind of @20 miles an hour and I had to put on all my layers except my ski mask. I took refuge behind the solar panel building which blocked the wind. it's a great hike with a lot of geology and lava flows but it's a long one.

Yes just a road, but offers great views of the National Monument that you will not get in the park. Also a great place to run since the road is not technical. Would have been nice to visit when the lookout station was open. There was a sign posted that said you can go up there if a ranger is in the station.

Monday, August 06, 2018

very cool topography!

Thursday, June 28, 2018

Might feel boring because it's mostly a gravel road all the way to the fire tower. Good views though and still a good hike regardless

Monday, June 25, 2018

steady hike along a forest service road, if you like that sort of thing. cool views from the top and it was cool to see a fire watch tower. the views were nice but the hike itself isn't that exciting

Saturday, June 16, 2018

Monday, June 04, 2018

Hiked this yesterday since most of the Coconino is closed off! The path is really easy to follow since it's actually the dirt road that the ranger uses to get up to the watch tower. We started around 1:30 PM and met about 10 people total.