Oldham Trail

Oldham Trail is a 6.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Flagstaff, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Directions from Flagstaff: The Buffalo Park parking lot is located on Cedar Street in north central Flagstaff. Another access point is on FR 557, the Mt. Elden Road, off US 180 north.

Beautiful area but hard to stay on the intended trail. After you descend down, you cross over the pipeline intersection and head towards the mountain. There are a lot of small off trails so I’m not certain I actually stayed on the intended trail or not. But.. it was beautiful and great views of Flagstaff. I’ll try it again soon!

Moderate rating justified. For beginners the distance might make this a bit too much. Loved the views of boulders and caves.

Oldham Trail is not a loop trail it’s an out and back trail
Hiked the Oldham trail with my wife and our Daughters dog, Wilber. The trail was a relaxing moderate hike, we both enjoyed it. The weather was perfect for a hike. The trail is made of loose dusty dirt in parts, very little roots, many rocks and rock outcroppings.
Note: we started the hike where this app/map indicated where the trailhead was located. This was not the case, with that said we ended the hike in the Buffalo Park parking area.

Beautiful trail. Good for walking, hiking, running, and biking. Lots of intersecting trails to change things up.

This was my first time hiking Elden from this side of the mountain and starting in the park. As soon as I got out of the park and on to the trail i got lost.
As soon as you get to the top of a slope there's a yellow sign for the gas pipeline, that's what I took, the trail is actually top the left and there is a trail marker I didn't see.
once on the trail you're golden but it's easy to get lost as there are a lot of trails or personally made paths that intersect Oldham. I did lower, which round trip is 6 mi, I ended up doing 8 mi+ with the round abouts and I did start upper Oldham but turned back as that would have endured up being almost 11 mi round trip that I want prepared for.
This hike definitely is moderate, with some good ups and downs that'll get your heart beating. I can't wait to explore more.

Thursday, May 12, 2016

Super great trail system! I am able to run out here with my dog off of the leash because there is hardly anyone else on the trail. There are a lot of different trails that are all connected and it's easy to get lost and on the wrong trail. I've been running on this system for 5 years and still manage every single time to make a wrong turn and have to backtrack to find my trail.

Wednesday, March 09, 2016

I hiked the Lower Oldham Trail last fall which I reached via Buffalo Park. The trail descends steeply and intersects the Pipeline Trail at the bottom of the ravine. Continuing on the trail after this point gets confusing. There are several side trails and bike paths that also intersect here (along with the Pipeline Trail), and there are no signs to mark where the Lower Oldham Trail continues onwards. The only I figured it out was when some mountain bikers pointed the way. After that, the trail is very pretty with large boulders and aspens, making it quite beautiful in the fall when the colors are changing.

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Very nice trail through the woods.

Monday, June 15, 2015

Not well marked we ended getting off trail on to the Arizona trail. Great forest setting.

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Also known as Easy Oldham, this trail is a great day hiking option in north Flagstaff. Head to Buffalo Park off Cedar Ave, find a spot to park and start hiking. You'll walk north through Buffalo Park to a log book at the trailhead. About 100 meters from the trailhead, stay left and follow a gradual descent through Ponderosa Pines. From this point on, follow the signs to the end of Oldham at Elden Lookout Road. You'll gain about 500-feet of elevation on the way out.

This was one of the first Flagstaff trails I hiked on a regular basis, doing the out & back 19 times from 2006-09. It's doable in two hours or less at a brisk pace. Elden Lookout Road offers the option of continuing along a number of other area trails. One of my favorites is hiking Upper Oldham to Sunset Trail on Mt Elden.

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Easy to get to via buffalo park, then is a great way to connect to other trails in any direction. Signage is not that great going in, so if you don't want to wander then study the map in advance. Boulders and an aspen regeneration site here. Mountain biking, trail running, hiking.

Monday, July 18, 2011

Great trail with a nice forest plenty to see. Nice hookup trail to other trails great fun on foot or bike

Wednesday, June 21, 2017