Oldham Trail

Oldham Trail is a 6.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Flagstaff, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Directions from Flagstaff: The Buffalo Park parking lot is located on Cedar Street in north central Flagstaff. Another access point is on FR 557, the Mt. Elden Road, off US 180 north.

Oldham Trail is not a loop trail it’s an out and back trail
Hiked the Oldham trail with my wife and our Daughters dog, Wilber. The trail was a relaxing moderate hike, we both enjoyed it. The weather was perfect for a hike. The trail is made of loose dusty dirt in parts, very little roots, many rocks and rock outcroppings.
Note: we started the hike where this app/map indicated where the trailhead was located. This was not the case, with that said we ended the hike in the Buffalo Park parking area.

Beautiful trail. Good for walking, hiking, running, and biking. Lots of intersecting trails to change things up.

This was my first time hiking Elden from this side of the mountain and starting in the park. As soon as I got out of the park and on to the trail i got lost.
As soon as you get to the top of a slope there's a yellow sign for the gas pipeline, that's what I took, the trail is actually top the left and there is a trail marker I didn't see.
once on the trail you're golden but it's easy to get lost as there are a lot of trails or personally made paths that intersect Oldham. I did lower, which round trip is 6 mi, I ended up doing 8 mi+ with the round abouts and I did start upper Oldham but turned back as that would have endured up being almost 11 mi round trip that I want prepared for.
This hike definitely is moderate, with some good ups and downs that'll get your heart beating. I can't wait to explore more.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016