Old Caves Crater Trail

Old Caves Crater Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Flagstaff, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

cave

Dirt, well marked

Nice hike. Spotted wildlife, including a bobcat. Was clear and cool. Going to do it again soon.

Nice hike with a gradual uphill incline with various switchbacks. Numerous small caves to explore at the top.

very nicely maintained trail with clearly marked entrance from a parking lot. Big 600-foot incline within the first mile, after you decline Back Down The Summit the trail pretty much levels out with slight incline until you complete the loop back at the trailhead but you're trekking through soft black sand which provides quite the workout! Definitely some of the most beautiful views I have seen on any hike in Flagstaff so far! However, I did not see any old caves.

Beautiful hike! We had our 3 kids; 20, 2.5, and 5 months. They all did great. The 2.5 yr. old made it the whole way. It was a soft trail, so he did have a few spills, but it didn't slow him down. Just the right amount of sunshine and shade. Will do again!

it was a nice little hike. not too long. the bottom half is like walking through sand, which was a little extra resistance I wasn't expecting. be careful by the top, I slid a couple of times because the ground was covered in lava rocks like loose gravel. make sure you go to the summit and take the fork right to explore the caves!

Good, short hike not far from Flagstaff. You begin by walking through a Ponderosa Pine forest. The summit is not difficult to climb and includes nice views of town and the surrounding peaks. There are lava caves at the top.

Great short trail with 180 degree views! Beautiful Ponderosa Pine forest.

The loop trail is quite easy and relaxing. I did not care for how close to the highway it gets, but the majority is remote so I was able to overlook that. We did the summit as a part of our loop. The summit is much more physically demanding but worth the views of Flagstaff and the San Francisco Peaks. I wouldn't mind trying just the loop next time!

Saturday, January 07, 2017

Great views off the peaks and the valley. Just gorgeous. The northern side up / down depending which way you went at it was slippery today. The dogs had a blast.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

A perfect day hike especially with kids and dogs in the Flagstaff Area. The hike is moderate, but don't let that fool ya, the last part up the hill is nice and steep. Great views of Elden and the Peaks from the top. Also at the top there are numerous lava caves. None of them are huge, but perfect for exploring with little ones.

My family and I have hiked this often when we just want to get a small hike in, and stay away from the crowds on all of the Elden Trails.

Watch for snakes, I have seen plenty on this trail.

Usually light to medium traffic. There are also several trails to choose from. There is a loop around the base if you don't wan't to take on the steep climb to the top. Nice workout, simple hike, beautiful views from the top.

Saturday, March 05, 2016

This is a really great hike for someone who wants to stay in town and is looking for something easy to moderate. Great views of the peaks and Elden, would definitely do again!

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

I used to hike this trail when I was a little boy. Also when there was hardly any houses out there, and now there everywhere. Still a good hike though.

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Not much shade on trail and the trail is sandy. Overall a fun hike the caves were fun to explore.

Saturday, May 05, 2012

This was a good hike! I brought my 7 yr old daughter with me, and we made it to the summit and back down. The views were cool, and the kid loved the caves. The only complaint i had was that the Loop trail near the bottom was not marked well at all, and we had to cut cross country to get back to the trailhead. Otherwise, very enjoyable hike, took roughly 2 hours with a 7 year old with me. :)

recorded Old Caves Crater Trail