Old Baldy and Mount Wrightson Summit Trail

Old Baldy and Mount Wrightson Summit Trail is a 10.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Sonoita, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Tucson: Exit Interstate 19 at the Continental Road/Madera Canyon Exit 65 and follow the Madera Canyon Road about l3.5 miles to the Roundup Picnic Area entrance. Turn left here, and drive into the trailhead parking lot.

Highest peak in the Tucson area! Amazing views from the top make the climb worth it. Definitely 11.8 miles taking this route however, not even sure where 10.3 would come from considering the map itself is correct (2.3 up old baldy to Josephine saddle, 2.9 from there to the summit, 2.9 back down to the saddle, 3.7 down super trail...11.8)

Good footing, easy to follow trail with amazing views. We saw many deer on the ascent last week. The springs had water, and there were patches of snow after the Josephine Saddle.

Hard! Loved it!

It was so windy today but not too cold. Really loved this trail. I don't know how many times I've done this trail and still love it. We hike this trail when the temperature is below 60s, otherwise, it's just too hot to climb.

Climbed this in July 2017. Beautiful had to race a thunderstorm up to the top. Started really raining with lots of thunder and lightning while I was coming off the top. Had to hurry down into the trees to get some shelter from the storm.

Fairly easy trail, it has tons of flowers and a beautiful stream that runs close by on multiple parts.

Took the kiddos up the shallow side as far as Josephine Saddle, then back down the steeper side. The ascent up from the lower trailhead is part of the "Super Trail", which unfortunately doesn't exist here on Alltrails. The trail is well marked as others have said, but not quite as many spectacular views as I had hoped. That probably changes further past the saddle, but the little ones can only take so much on a hot day. I'll be back to rock this trail solo soon enough and find out, but for now, the best views are on the drive up Madera Canyon to the trailheads!

Still a nice outing overall, and can't beat that Arizona pinyon scent as you go over 6k ft. Probably wouldn't have done it at all for a while if Mt. Lemmon wasn't on fire and closed. Looking forward to other trails in the area.

No bear stopped me from making it to the top this time. Second time going all the way to the top of mount wrightson .. this time was much easier than the first time.. love this trail,, well kept and easy I say, long but easy!! Will definitely do it again at some point!!

We were heading up the top but we ran into a bear and we turned around, we saw the bear and he/she saw us but no aggression from it at all, but we thought it was safer to turn around and we took trail towards agua caliente and Josephine. Great hike for sure, great views and cool nice weather!!!

Tuesday, January 03, 2017

I went in early January and the trail was wonderful. It had snowed the day before which made for a beautiful trail and photo opportunities. My group saw six other people on the trail total which was nice since it is usually crowded in the summer and spring seasons. We went to the summit and spent some time at the top taking photos and stopping to eat. Overall, the trail to the summit took us seven hours. I highly recommend this peak.

Thursday, September 01, 2016

Lots of fun and some great views of sahuarita! it's pretty much straight uphill there and then a constant down on the way back. there is a little spring up near the top which is nice. path is pretty clearly marked too.

Monday, August 08, 2016

Great day! Cool temps, started at at 6am until final half mile. Great forest trail with amazing 360 summit view. 9.25hr round trip to summit

Ran into a bear, which turned out to be a fellow hiker trimming trees along the trail and no bear at all.

Saturday, July 16, 2016

Punishing hike for the ill prepared. Very enjoyable to do for unobstructed views of southern Arizona. Bring plenty of water and plan on a full days hike.

Monday, June 13, 2016

Great hike. Very long and challenging. Great views. Bring plenty of food and water.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Best hike in the area. Being from PNW and Midwest it was great to get a nice hike in the woods. Good challenge definitely a great tune up for rim to rim. Lots of rocks and uneven trail, especially higher up so watch for those ankle-bonk-ers. Views are petty stunning from the top but that's just half the fun here, the trail along the way is definitely equally as cool as the summit. I hit trail at 1145a. Summitted at about 3. Hour at the top and back down by 6. Definitely definitely encourage bringing a trekking pole for this trail.

Thursday, May 26, 2016

Not easy, even for an experienced hiker, but worth the effort.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Great hike to start practicing summits! Took old baldy trail up to Josephine saddle and then up to baldy saddle. From there, we took the crest trail up to the top of Mt Wrightson. Backpacking camp areas available at both saddle areas. Dog friendly!

Sunday, May 03, 2015

Went up and down the old baldy trail. Trail was well kept, and easy to trek up. First hike in a long time so I was a bit winded and had to take a view breathers on the way up. Third time attempting, this time I made it to the summit! Definitely worth it. Amazing views! Sadly the summit was impossible to stay at for longer than a few minutes as flys and other bugs had taken over (just HORDES of them) but worth it nontheless. The mountain has a pretty crazy history as well!

Monday, September 01, 2014

Great day hike, but I would recommend going in the early afternoon. Sun exposure is very high while hiking the east facing slope of Old Baldy if you go in the morning so be sure to bring sunscreen if you go then!

Sunday, April 07, 2013

Reviews I read on this site have it as very strenuous, which I agree with in some sections of the trail. Overall all, though, I found it to be moderate at best. Very fun and highly recommend.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

First time doing this trail, and I think it's become one of my favorites. The trail is in great shape for the bulk of it - perhaps a couple spots that could use attention but overall it was great. It's rather steep, but there are enough spots that level off, which give your legs a rest. View at the top completely worth the effort - if you haven't done this hike yet - you need to!

Friday, April 27, 2012

Trail is in need of some maintenance, but the views are astounding nonetheless.

recorded Old Baldy