North Trail

North Trail is a 2.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Scottsdale, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Good way to learn about the flora and fauna in the park with the guide.

Trail was perfect for us. We were looking for something relatively easy and it fit our needs.

Very nice rolling loop trail. Good scenery and vegetation. Trail well marked and easy for all levels. Benches along the way, as well as markers that tell about the vegetation.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Went here for a night hike with park staff for the Hunter Moon/sunset/moon rise/full moon walk. The views were gorgeous! Was very flat and so easy to walk that you could do it solely by moonlight. Some people in the group showed up late and these were the same people who didn't get the brief talk from the ranger about being quiet and proper flashlight etiquette. Was pretty annoying having bright lights randomly flashed in your eyes and people incessantly talking loudly about billd and car problems and neighbors... Would have been much more enjoyable with a small group. But that's what you get sometimes when you do a group hike! Was still a beautiful hike.

Thursday, November 26, 2015

Nice beginner trail. Very flat and easy for all ages.

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Hike of very nice length and not difficult at all. It was a good first one for my wife and I to take as we get back into hiking.

Tuesday, February 03, 2015

Very easy, flat hike. As the other review here says, it is more of a nature walk, but still enjoyable. We arrived at 9am on a Sunday and were the only ones there. We saw a biker and maybe 4 others during our loop.

We did take out 9 month old puppy, and she held up good. The trail is soft and sandy for the most part.

There are markers along the way describing some of the plants and trees. It's a great, relaxing walk through the beautiful landscape.

Saturday, August 03, 2013

This trail is accessible whenever the McDowell Mountains Regional Park is open. Park entry is $6 for day use. I started my hike at 5:30 pm and ended at 7:25. (I like to stop, take pictures, enjoy the view, etc)

This is really a nature loop trail. There are 28 marker posts along its 3.1 mile distance. Some have placards that identify the flora in front of the posts. What stood out for me was just how lush and big everything was. I uploaded a photo of a saguaro I found 75' north of the trailhead right next to picnic tables. It looked to be 50' tall! Compared to other Phoenix valley trails, the saguaro, ocotillo and ironwood trees are MUCH taller. And all plants in the loop seemed more dense and healthier than typical trails. In spite of the late start, I found an abundance of wildlife: lizards, mourning doves, chipmunks, grouse, road runners, and a red tail hawk. Hike this trail in the early morning hours for even more variety.

The loop affords great views of the surrounding McDowell mountains to the southeast, east and northeast. On a day with overcast skies and late day breaking sunshine, the dramatic light on the horizon is truly breathtaking. The trail itself, like many of the trails in this park, is susceptible to erosion from rain. Be prepared for some washed out sections. It's not a big deal, you just find yourself trudging through short bits of deep sand.

Sunday, April 17, 2016