North Shore, Flume, and Watson Dam Loop

North Shore, Flume, and Watson Dam Loop is a 2.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Prescott Valley, Arizona that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

Great easy-moderate trail with lovely views of the lake. It’s well marked with white dots to follow. I went on a Sunday morning and only ran into a couple people on the trail. There are some rocky areas but overall it’s a pretty straight forward trail. I will definitely be back soon.

Easy hike; a few climbing rocks made it fun (but could prove to be difficult for someone with bad knees). My 5-year-old handled it fine; whereas I wore my 2-year-old through most of it. Beautiful. Quiet. The rushing water was exciting and the little bridges made it fun. We only made it to the dam but want to go back again.

beautiful easy hike with awesome views especially with all of the precipitation we've gotten!

A nice hike with great views of the Dells. We only hiked to the dam but was a pretty little area there

Great Trail! have seen people of all ages on this trail though I'd say it's much more a Moderate trail than easy. Make sure to bring plenty of water and wear a hat in the summertime as there is very little shade. As always have a great time!

Great trail! Went on a moderately hot day and took our 16 week old puppy. She loved climbing the rocks and basking in the little shade the trail provides. Bring tons of water!

This was a two hour hike for our family of 4. We have a 4 year old and a 18 month old. I would not consider this easy, more like moderate. There were small spaces to squeeze through, a lot of foliage, and rock climbing. It was a good workout and made it worth it when we made it to the flume to see the water. On the way back, we went around and were on top of the mountains for a beautiful view.

paddle sports

Absolutely beautiful lots of birds and wildlife to see! A breathe of fresh air when your out on the water I would recommended a kayak and lots of sun screen

Not sure I would call this trail easy. Certainly there were some flat portions of the trail. There we also a lot of steep and rocky parts to the trail. Beautiful scenic views all around the trail.

Saturday, April 21, 2018

Beautiful trail around the lake. My gps told 10km from car park around the lake back to the car but I have been climbing a lot of rocks and took my time. This lake has a very special feel and look nestled in amongst all the golden rocks.

Sunday, April 08, 2018

Amazing views. Easy hike, even with kids. Climbed across the boulders to make it more fun.

Saturday, December 30, 2017

Awesome hike even with 2 young hikers!

Thursday, December 28, 2017

I’ve fallen in love with this town and the surrounding area. Great hike/run with the pup. Incredible views, particularly in the early morning.

Saturday, October 21, 2017

We parked at Granite Rd, no fee and great access. Loved this trail, it's among boulders with some elevation and scrambling if you want to adventure off. Reaching the lake was spectacular, it's beautiful, clear and the surrounding rock formations creating a beautiful landscape. Pay close attention to the white dots to keep you on the trail. We ended up off the trail a number of times, which was fun in its own regard but added to the mileage. We would definitely do this hike again.

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Awesome leisurely hike! Beautiful wilderness featuring rock formations, grassy meadows, and plenty of canyon to explore if you're feeling adventurous. There is some rock stepping but nothing too difficult.

Took us a little while to find trailhead so here are some directions: easiest access for this hike is from Granite Dells road about a mile north of Watson Lake Park on I-89 you can turn right on Granite Dells Road and there is a small parking lot on your right to access the trailhead. You can access the trails from Watson Lake as well but it's $3 to park.

From where we parked up north of Granite Dells Road, there are multiple forks to explore the canyon but we stayed to the left, hugging the creek on our left all the way to the dam. Great place to crack a cold one or enjoy some lunch.

Monday, September 25, 2017

It was a good long hike... and the view at the end of the trail was worth it...
Fossil Creek is an amazing river.... so clear and refreshing....

Saturday, August 19, 2017

This is the trail I always bring friends and out-of-town guests to. I take it to the Watson Lake dam rather then circumnavigating the lake. It's well shaded (when not on rocks), offers creek-side hiking, flat picnic areas, wooden bridges, and a rushing waterfall spilling over the dam (however, this is a seasonal waterfall). The trail is nice because most of it is a loop. I like taking the right fork on the way out and then coming back via the left fork. The right fork takes you up the rocks where you follow white spray-painted dots. This is the heart-pumping section of the trail. After descending near the dam, the cottonwood trees and reeds are so lush and beautiful, providing excellent shade. Return by following the creek, where you'll likely see ducks and hear bullfrogs. This is the flat-ish way back, so it's nice to do last. Excellent hike in summer and fall. The changing leaves in fall make it really special.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

This is a very beautiful hike. We did the entire loop. The area by the damn is so lush and green. Lots of fun photo opportunities along the way. Hopping over boulders.

Sunday, June 21, 2015

I took this trail from the trail head to the dam/water fall. It is not actually two miles but 5 one way. it climbs quite steadily from the trail head for the first mile and a half but flattens out after that for the most part. It follows the side of the mountain well away from the water until the last two miles which follow the creek so bring lots of water. Once you're by the water it cools down immensely and makes the hot hike in well worth it. I did the hike as part of a backpacking trip, camping about a half mile past the dam taking one day to just spend it swimming in the crystal clear water. While the hike is hard it is definitely worth it!