North Peak Trail is a 8.4 mile out and back trail located near Payson, Arizona that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as difficult and is primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.4 miles Elevation Gain: 2,913 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Bad news: This is the steepest trail I have hiked within a few hours of the valley. The trail is very gravelly with tough footing especially on the way down. Finally the road crosses the creek at least 7 times and because of this high clearance is necessary. Good News: The trail and the drive to the trail are beautiful. The path is easy to follow and tough to lose. I've got quarantine legs. I made it 2 miles up the trail and had to turn around to get back for a commitment. I am pretty sure that the 3000' vertical All Trails shows as the total elevation change is to the junction of the Mazatzal Divide/AZ Trail. It looks a lot further up to get to the summit of North Peak. I would start earlier next step and leave all day to make it to the top of North Peak. Lots of water at the lower portions of the trail 4/10/2020

Couldn’t make it to the trailhead in my small car, about 5 miles out there’s a series of very deeply cut washes cutting across the road, chickened out on the third one and almost didn’t make it out of the second one.

Do not try to go on this trail. Last 0.4 miles there is no path seen. Probably washed out in last rainy season. We struggled about 30 min. Trying to make a way to the top. With no luck.

Mon Apr 29 2019

This is a challenging hike. Pants and long sleeves highly advised. Breeze increases pleasantly with the climb. Encountered 2 snakes along the way, one rattler and unsure of the other species. It was in the center of the trail and had a close call with the dog. There is a small section of trail completely overgrown. Approaching the summit the trail becomes very unclear and terrain steep and loose. We attempted another way down which was a mistake that brought us into thick brush which brought our progress to slow motion. We had to hustle to get back on trail to conserve daylight. DO NOT GO OFF TRAIL. All and all it was an awesome adventure with outstanding views but, not for the meek.

Sun Mar 10 2019

Great hike, didn’t see another soul on the trail all day. There’s a small chunk in the beginning where the trail is hidden under a bunch of brush, but it’s still there. Lost the trail at the very end and it was getting late, so I forewent my tunnel vision and turned around. I’ll start earlier next time and make it to the very top.

Fri Aug 17 2018

This trail is seriously steep and potentially hot but rewards immediately with great views. Much of the trail surface is rocky and lose, so care must be taken when going down the trail. Most of the trail has great 4G reception because of the direction the mountain faces.

Wed Jul 05 2017