North Mountain National Trail

moderate 597 reviews

North Mountain National Trail is a 1.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.7 miles Elevation Gain: 675 feet Route Type: Loop

NOTE: Half of this trail is currently closed, making this an out and back. Please check with the Phoenix Mountain Preserve for more information.

This was a challenge, both time and hikewise!

I didn’t record properly but It’s basically all uphill. It’s short as long as you keep moving and it kicks your butt. it’s so worth it once you get to the very top though. The view is breath taking.

First attempt at a Phoenix mountain. It was tough but manageable. And ... beautiful.

Pretty intense! Beautiful views

Earlyish Saturday morning hike with Floyd. Ran into Jackie Kurth

Great short hike with 600 ft of vertical.

I took the backstretch from the Mountain view park up to the towers and it was not a hike, but climbing... loose rocks, narrow trails and steep. A little better than Angles Landing in Zion Park. Well, I did it but I would not recommend if you have a balance problem or high phobia! Hiking downhills on the asphalt road was easier, of course. The top view was gorgeous. Take a windbreaker with you.. its windy up there.

Beautiful Sunday morning hike with Floyd. Ran into Maribeth

Nice hike with great views -- can see into Tempe and over into Glendale on a clear day. Took 100 to the connector and to the top. Recommend taking the paved road back down to 101 and the visitor center as the way coming up is pretty rocky and could be tricking going down.

Going up wasn’t to bad. It’s steep so prepare to take plenty of breathing breaks. Great workout and if you turn around and go back down it’s a fun hike. We chose to go down the back side and let me say BIG MISTAKE! It was terrifying. Very rocky very unstable and very steep. I’m in my 30’s and sat down so many times to go down a step! I don’t think going up it would be anywhere near as bad. Definitely live and learn. That said I still loved it and highly recommend it!

Easy... Around the perimeter.

Quick birthday hike with Tyler, Floyd and Lola

OMG. I’m reading other reviews-moderate trail, easy trail, quick short hike. Haha either I’m a wuss or everyone is lying. I hiked it counter-clockwise. Takes at least 1/2 hour or more to get up the rocky slope and then the paved road , straight uphill, until you get to the towers. To turn around and head back down the paved road would be a great workout in itself but I choose to go down the backstretch of the mountain and it could be deadly. One slip and you’re over the edge. It took full concentration and slow sure steps and crab walking on all 4’s at times or crawling backwards down the mountain. I loved it and felt very proud of myself once I finished but at 60 years old it was difficult and scary. Maybe going clockwise and doing the hard rocky cliffs first would be better. It was a bit above my hiking level. Took about 2 hours with many rest stops. Haha.

Nice, short, hike. Mostly paved trail.

This was a little rockier than I expected. If I do this trail again, I would go clockwise and take the rockier side up. I spent a little time crab crawling but not much. A sure footedhiker would be able to stay on their feet.

North Mountain is definitely moderate. The paved part is good for those who don’t want to worry about footing yet still get an incline in. • Clockwise from main lot is harder as the uphill will be rocky with downhill being paved. I went Counter-Clockwise. • Great for kids and dogs if you don’t do the loop • Newly paved and good views of the city • Facilities and ample parking in the main lot

North Mountain has trails for any level of hiking. If you want a easy to moderate hiking experience this is the place for you. If you want a little more challenge you can also try their more difficult trails. Overall the trails present a beautiful scenery from the bottom to the top of the mountain.

Went counter-clockwise. Great views. Strenuous up, very easy runnable paved down.

Love the trail challenging but worth it. Each time gets better and the view is awesome. I loved the new paved area.