North Mountain National Trail

North Mountain National Trail is a 2.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I hiked this mountain on 6/28, I am around 250 lbs, 5’5ft. It was my 1st time being able to finish the mountain. If I could do it, anyone else can. The only part I found difficult was coming back down. You do have to be careful if not, you can easily slip.

Fun trail. Great views! We made it to the tower.

Short, simple. Good and quick in town exercise. Not particularly special in my opinion.

Decided to hike here to watch the sunset. Just way too crowded. As of right now, you CANNOT hike the “loop”. Northeast side of the mountain is completely closed due to maintenance/construction. Could only access southeast side(which is a steep incline for .7 miles to the summit(be aware that there are towers at the top) then had to turn around and come right back down. Short and did not get a good workout because of the amount of people. If you are a nature inspired fitness guru, I would highly suggest plenty of other mountains to get your fix.

Trail riding at its best

My husband and I enjoyed another amazing hike today.

what goes up, must come down. Pretty slippery and rocky, very slow steps on the way down which took away from enjoying the hike. Would love to try again once the paved road is back open. friendly and encouraging hikers on the trail.

Excellent workout! I saw many people go up and do a couple times for a workout. And it IS a workout! If you need something short but intense, this is your mountain. You do have to beware of the descent. You have to come back down the same way you went up because the other side of the trail is closed for now.

Fairly easy, good workout, did it end of February around 10am in short-sleeve shirt and leggings-perfect. Nice views.

Super beautiful —you have a clear shot of Camelback if you’re wanting to take photos of this notorious mountain. It’s a lot of deep lunging kind of hiking but it’s totally doable! We saw all kinds out there: kids, grandparents, runners, short, plump, skinny, overweight, tall, old, young...literally every kind of person so there’s no excuse! It’s a gorgeous hike, with lots of places to stop and take it all in.

Bring your camera and don’t forget to go YOUR own pace. It makes it that much more fun and enjoyable. :) Will definitely be going back with my art supplies to paint the view.

1-9-2018 Nice Incline workout

Good hike and grea views from the top. It was difficult for me but i can imagine there are more difficult.

I would rate this hike as more than moderate. It is pretty steep on both ends and the loose rock can be a real ankle twister. The views can’t be beat!

I prefer going up the trail side (south east side of the mountain) as there are far fewer people plus you get more of a leg workout. the walk down the paved road (north east side of the mountain) is a nice way to cool down after.

The trail was a little more on the difficult side of moderate. We brought our pup with us. She's a smaller dog, and it definitely isn't a trail for a small dog. Would hike again, but definitely without the pups.

this is a great trail. we had a fantastic day hiking this Thanksgiving morning. My Lil Shih-tzu Daeny absolutely enjoyed her hike..

Great starter trail for a week of hiking! A bit more paved then I expected, but the elevation was a challenge! Good hike.

Love this trial nice and easy but can get your heart rate up

great hiking trail

This trail is nice and not bad. I don't think it's that hard. Not many people on the trails which makes it even nicer!

Love this trail ! The view at the top is my favorite!

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Fairly easy hike, paved trail with great view at the top!

Thursday, August 10, 2017

The City of Phoenix Parks and Recreation Department along with the Project Team would like to invite you to attend a project open house to learn about the North Mountain Access Road Improvement Project.
Where: North Mountain Visitor Center - 12950 N 7th Street
When: Tuesday, August 15, 2017
Time: 6PM—7PM

Thursday, June 01, 2017

Steep and fast. It's a really good workout.

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

The North Mountain Tower Road Improvements will begin soon, and will require temporary trail closures. Keep informed by e-mailing the project team at northmountainproject@gciaz.com or calling the 24 hour Project Hotline at (623)825-3444. Public meeting date to be announces soon. join the project mailing list at www.surveymonlkey.com/r/northmountain

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Love this hike! I've been hiking nearly everyday for the past few months, never gets boring!

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Nice paved trail for the family. Always crowded with kids and people with pets. The parking lot is small and the pavement is very bad near the top so be careful if you go at night without a light.

Sunday, May 07, 2017

I love this trail due to convenience. It's easy to travel on if you go up the paved sections. The inclines are steep in parts, good heart-rate inducing percentages, a real good workout, especially if you jog or run up those steep parts, or do the trail a couple of times. Nice views, nice people, can get crowded, especially the parking lot to the paved entrance.

The bigger parking lot starts off as a rocky trail which leads you up to the paved portion, that section is fun and a great starter.

Wednesday, May 03, 2017

really steep

Tuesday, May 02, 2017

Ouch. This baby doesn't even ease you in. It was just straight up! Well it felt like it to this out of shape girl. We followed the paved path so we didn't get to do the actual loop. Great workout and leg burn of your just trying to get into shape from the couch.