North Mingus Loop Trail

North Mingus Loop Trail is a 4.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Cottonwood, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,161 feet Route Type: Loop

NOTE: During the winter the road leading to the trailhead may be closed. Hikers can park by the gate and continue on the road to the trailhead to begin the hike. For an easier hike, head to the left (clockwise). For a steeper hike, head right (clockwise) The trailhead is almost at the top of the trail (the highest is about 180 feet above the parking area), though you can drive to the highest point, which has a glider launch.

If you don’t like rocks and bhiking, then 106 to 105 is not your jam.

Gorgeous view on every turn while looping. Definitely not an "easy" one, more like Moderate++. We went down trail 106 which drops 1160 ft over about 2.5 miles and looped back via 105A -> 105. The 105 trail is a steep climb over about 1.5 miles, no breaks in climb until you hit the RIM. Counter clockwise was much better choice for us since there was shade for the most part of the trail, there was none AM going down 106.

Great trail both clockwise and counterclockwise. Started out at 9:30a at 53deg. Ended just before 12:30p at 64deg.

This trail is beyond moderate... it’s closer to difficult. The beginning of the trail is a very steep downward trek, 1600 feet elevation drop, coupled with switchbacks and loose gravel. I estimate that 60% of the trail is down hill. The remaining 40% is a very steep climb on a rocky trail, with countless switchbacks... another 1600 foot elevation change to the summit. The remaining 2 mile section is an easy trek on flat forest land to your starting point.

My family and I hiked the trail counter clockwise which I didn’t understand until we did it. The first part was steep switch backs, which would have sucked going the other direction. Also the sun was shining on us on the first half and shade on the second half. We started at 0900 hrs. The trail had a lot of gravel which was only challenging when descending. The trail had a bunch of over grown areas which were annoying if you wear shorts. We saw tons of butterflies, a few hummingbird and horny toads. One animal that we wish we didn’t see was a rattlesnake right on the trail in one of the rocky areas. My daughter stepped about a foot from it, i don’t know if it was more afraid of us or not because it was rattling like crazy. Beside that the Prescott valley views are outstanding.

We did this hike at about 8am on Aug 11, 2019 after looking hard for the trailhead. Maybe we missed some signs along the way (?) but we had to look hard for the trail marker as it is half hidden behind brush. It said 4 miles but my phone logged 6.5 from start to finish. It took us about 3 hours with many stops. It was a little too warm for me so I would wait until it cools off some before going again. Take lots of water. Long pants are a plus as it is a pretty tight trail and extremely overgrown in most areas. I found the smaller rocks on the trail to be slippery also. We went counterclockwise and like everyone said, the views are beautiful. It says it’s a well used trail but we didn’t see anyone else on the trail until we came close to the campground and hand gliding launch near the end. The path didn’t indicate much use either. I would do it again but in a cooler month for sure. On another note, I also used hiking poles and was glad to have them in many places.

a great hike overall. trail is quite overgrown in multiple places so at least bring long pants. stays narrow essentially the whole way. I was in a group of 2; there was only one other group on the trail. lots of bugs, lizards and Hornets in mid Aug. but they weren't biting.

We definitely felt the effects of the altitude, especially as we got to the part where we had to climb back up to the top. We had to stop frequently to catch our breath. We went clockwise, and so the end of the trail was a nearly constant climb with few switchbacks. Beautiful, expansive views of the valley below. Several hang gliders were in the air. Bring plenty of bug spray as the flies and other critters are relentless, especially on the shaded side of the trail. The trail is very narrow in most places and quite overgrown so be sure to wear long pants. A great hike but definitely difficult if you live at lower levels and are not used to hiking in high elevations.

Beautiful hike with views of Sedona and the San Francisco peaks in the distance. I was the only person on the trail and it took me around 2 hours with plenty of breaks to stop and breathe. Very buggy when I was out there and a short thunderstorm started right when I was finishing up. The driving directions take you directly to the trailhead in the park, and you finish the trail at the hang gliding launch. It’s about a 10 min walk down the road back to your car from the launch area.

Great hike beautiful views. Little annoying flies. Hike up was a bit warm. Overall a great hike. Under 3 hours started from the camp ground.

on the rim the whole way great views from almost everywhere

Beautiful! My 10 year old thought she was going to die on the up hill but my other kids loved it! So many gorgeous views!

Amazing trail! Beautiful views, and tons of wildflowers! A bit windy and chilly but definitely will be back! A+!

Gorgeous views. Definitely tired at the end but my dog and I made it fine. Be sure to pack enough water and snacks.

Difficult if you are not used to the elevation. wear pants if you don't want the brush hitting you. very rewarding throughout and at the end.

Did this trail with DH on March 22. The road is still blocked off about 1 mile before the TH. We parked by the gate and walked in. Hiked clockwise. Trail really muddy and wet for the first part (lots of melting snow). Then as we descended down the mountain, lots of snow. Sometimes 2-3 feet deep. Tricky at times, but do-able. My poles really helped. (BTW, this part is narrow and steep drop offs, but I did it and I have a healthy fear of heights). Climb back up was dry, but very tiring. We are 55 and 62 years old, in fair shape and we were exhausted by the end but the views all along are outstanding!! Total hike from our parked truck and back was almost 4 hours. Definitely a challenging hike, but rewarding. Tips: wear waterproof hiking boots; go slow and careful, take lots of water.

Super hike with consistently gorgeous views to the north/northeast. We came from Prescott. Road up Mingus was a-ok! (4x4 recommended). Loved the descent; about to head on up! (Jan. 9, started 2pm)

Did this hike December 30. Happy we did it clockwise! Snow and ice made it interesting on the way down. This trail gets narrow and rocky. Hike was moderate in 20 to 30 degree temps. I cant imagine it during the heat of summer. Gonna try though. the elevation changes are intense and rocky. Amazing views! Best hike so far. Info- road to trailhead was closed, hike in is about 1.5 miles. Total hike was 7 miles. Took right at 3 hrs.

Much of the views are looking Southwest into the sun in early morning.

Fun hike with beautiful views. The hang gliding launch area was interesting to see. Moderate for most of the hike with above moderate in some areas. would definitely do it again.

The launch point for hang gliders is an amazing view. The trail can be in full sun, if you do this trail in the summer be sure to take a hat and put on sunscreen.

Monday, May 21, 2018

Definitely a trail to do in early am at low temperatures. The views are stunning on both sides of the hike. Do 106-105a-105. It’s definitely more that a moderate hike!

Friday, May 11, 2018

The road leading to the trail head was closed off for some reason but the road itself is only about a mile long and flat so we just hoofed it. Other than that the trail itself was very nice. Nobody else was on the trail at all and the views were amazing.

Saturday, May 05, 2018

After reading other reviews I decided to do this Trail counterclockwise which is harder. If you want a more gradual incline, go clockwise. There were times the trail was too narrow and it’s rocky throughout. I hate the small rocks since I tend to slide easily especially downhill. So the beginning was definitely like that. I see where complaints of overgrown areas were valid but it wasn’t too bad since it’s spring. But overall this trail could use some maintenance because you want to be able to see where you walk (potential snakes). I’m glad I brought my hiking sticks. Scenery was better than expected and shade was less than I expected. So wear sunscreen or sun hat. Overall not a bad hike but not a repeat trail for me.