North Kaibab Trail to Supai Tunnel and Coconino Overlook

North Kaibab Trail to Supai Tunnel and Coconino Overlook is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near North Rim, Arizona that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October.

What she said ⬇️ @alishadimmitt

Loved it! I would suggest you get there the earlier the better. The mule poop and urine smell is throughout the trail. Sometimes it smells worse then other times. The tunnel was very beautiful. Not a ton of shade but there is some. I actually liked going up the canyon more than down, my knees did not like the down part. Make sure you pack water, salted food of some sort, bandana might have been nice to have to cover my mouth and nose from Poo smell and dust. Defiantly glad I did this hike. Very pretty views seen the whole hike. We started at 0930 and finished around 330 pm. We went to Supai Tunnel. I would have liked to start at 0600 if I could have. Make sure you wear sunblock too.

Started our hike at 8am and the parking lot was filled. Nice views the entire time. Plenty of spots to rest if the elevation gain/loss wears you out. There are water stations at the trailhead and tunnel. The overbearing smell of mule poop knocks this one down one star.

We actually ended up hiking past supai tunnel down to the bridge that you can see from the tunnel. Be warned, this is not an easy 3-4 miles! We gained nearly 3000 ft elevation in that short hike according to the park ranger. Get there early, we showed up at 0830 planning to hike even further and we were advised against it. The trail is rough going back up the switchbacks, especially around 10-3 when the sun is the strongest. My boyfriend and I are in are twenties and in decent shape, but we still took many breaks to avoid dehydration. This is a beautiful hike that is well worth the challenge!

Super randonnée faite avec mes enfants de six et sept ans. Nous sommes descendus jusqu'au pont. La remontée est longue mais sacs difficulté. Le sentier est en excellent état et il y a un point d'eau à mi-parcours (juste avant le tunnel), pratique pour faire le plein à l'aller comme au retour). On ne voit pas le grand Canyon mais un canyon parallèle. Des points de vue majestueux néanmoins. Je recommande vivement.

We really enjoyed this trial! 2 adults and 2 kids (age 7 and 9) were able to complete this down, rest for 20 minutes and back up in just under 3 hours. Some parts the dust is a bit hard to walk through and we had to wait for 2 mule groups to pass us as well. Oh yeah, get ready for mule poop :)

This is the only way into the canyon from the north side and it is not as steep as the south side.

Technically for this far down the North Kaibab trail - you are actually not looking at Grand Canyon, but it is still beautiful.

Enjoy!!

Beautiful hike! Not easy.

North Kaibab is the only North Rim trail that actually goes down into the Grand Canyon, so it was on my “must hike” list. The trail goes all the way down but Supai Tunnel is a good stopping point for a half day hike. There is a restroom and water at the tunnel making it an ideal resting place before beginning the strenuous hike back up.

The views were gorgeous, of course, and i loved watching the birds, chipmunks, and squirrels. There isn’t much shade so bring sunscreen, hats, and water. Also, it is hotter in the canyon than on the plateau. The path is wide and well defined, but not railed. This trail was more heavily trafficked than the others that I visited during my stay. The trail is also used by people taking mule rides down into the canyon, so watch out for mule poop.

So overall: great hike, observable wildlife, very strenuous return hike, beautiful views (but not the best), moderate traffic, and mule poop.

Spectacular scenery, but the trip out is tough. Plan your hike around the temps. You share this trail with the mule/riders too, so they add a little to the hike. We went to the tunnel and turned back. Wife and I are 40's son is 17 and daughter is 12. Pack enough water.

Saturday, October 22, 2016

Awesome views, pretty darn steep coming back out. Can't wait to see it again.

Friday, September 23, 2016

Awesome...... Done as part of a much larger hike.

Thursday, September 08, 2016

The way down is great, steep uphill climb on the way back! Ascends about 2,000 feet in elevation.

recorded north Kaibab trail