Learn more

North Kaibab Trail to Roaring Springs is a 8.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near North Rim, Arizona that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Length 8.4 mi Elevation gain 3,517 ft Route type Out & Back
Backpacking Hiking Nature trips Bird watching Running Forest River Views Waterfall Wild flowers Wildlife Rocky No dogs
Waypoints (0)
Photos (684)
Recordings (127)
Completed (838)
David Hughes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 17, 2020
View David's Recording
Christina Merwin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 13, 2020
View Christina's Recording
Eric Fisher
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 7, 2020
Hiking

Such a difficult hike due to 117° temps. We tried to leave during the night to beat the heat and were still caught by it. Doing the trail by headlamp is it own type of fear

View Eric's Recording
Justine Schluntz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 5, 2020
View Justine's Recording
Jeff Conner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 30, 2020
View Jeff's Recording
Kirk Lestelle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 29, 2020
HikingGreat!Rocky
Kevin Charpentier
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 10, 2020
Hiking

Hiked the trail today. Left at 7:45 AM and back up by 2pm with stops for breaks and pictures at the bridge on way down and Supai Tunnel on way back. Spend some time at the springs to cool off with the spring water. Refilled our water at the tunnel. I have read lots of complaints about mule crap, but it was not bad at all. It was hot today, but If you ate a seasoned hiker, it’s very manageable this time of year. There was more shade on the trail than I expected. I would recommend leaving trailhead earlier but we were staying over 1+ hours away.

Donny Lofland
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 31, 2020
Hiking

Had a nice hike down to the scenic overlook. It was well worth the trip! Note, hike down is easy, but unseasoned hikers might find the trip back up to be moderate. There are plenty of places to stop for a break. Enjoy!

View Donny's Recording
Jordan Van Maanen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 19, 2020
Hiking

My watch said I went 10.4 miles down and back. Took us about 5 in a half hours. It was a pretty trail but there are better views on the south rim. If your in the area I’d suggest it. Plenty of mule dung and piss. Go early and bring plenty of water, it can get super hot in the canyon. It’s a tough hike back out, we took plenty of breaks.

Lucas Melo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 18, 2020
HikingBugs

Definitely on my top 5 trails ever. First two miles are ok with a great view point right at the beginning, these first miles are full of horse fesses and urine so could take away from the great experience. But once you pass the second test area the horses go on a different direction and the trail stops smelling horrible. Right after the second test area there is a little túnel and after that túnel is when you start getting the amazing views of the canyon. The spring at the end is a cool place to sit down drink some water in the shade and prepare mentally for the way up. I when during the summer and drank a litters of water on the way down and 4 litters in the way up(some of the girls on my group drank even more). Make sure to bring enough water and a water filter is recommended. Lastly be careful with the canyon, going down is easy but going back up can take twice as long and be 10 times more exhausting.

View Lucas's Recording
Alex Drena
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 25, 2020
Hiking

Always remember, what goes down, must come back up. Hiked in late May, and the rim is a lot cooler than the canyon, though where we got too (just over 4 miles in) it was still comfortable.

E Mac
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 20, 2020

Great long hike

Philip Goldkamp
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMarch 8, 2020

As far as hiking goes, it's great. Nice workout. As far as views go, meh. So many better views in the park.

Travis DuBridge
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 29, 2019
Hiking

I have done the south rim and the north rim. And I will say that the south rim is better in terms of views. However the North rim barely had any people on the trail. There were times when I didnt see anyone for an hour (it was 30 degrees out and had snow on the ground so maybe that factored into it as well). It was nice not being stuck behind slow people on the trail and not hearing people talk about their stupid jobs or whatever. As for the hike, its beautiful of course, but the Roaring Rapids part is more of a bathroom stop. I would skip it and just go down an extra 30 to 45 mins to the river at the bottom. It's way more amazing down there. Only stop here at Roaring Rapids if you gotta take a dump or something, and actually the bathrooms were closed for the fall/winter when I was there.. so if you have to poop they might not even be open. the bathrooms down at the river should be open. I did the hike in 6 hrs 45 mins, with about 30 minute lunch break.

Harrison Baum
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 10, 2019
Hiking

Loved this, very minimal dung but maybe I went at a lucky time? Definitely did not experience the overwhelming amounts stated in other reviews. Killer views, pretty steady incline/decline, one of my fav hikes of all time!

Krissy Patterson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 9, 2019
HikingBugs

Go Early. We started at 5am and were able to see the sunrise. Great views on the way down. Hike can be strenuous going up. Definitely assess your fitness level. Glad I did it

Lauren Waters
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 8, 2019
HikingRocky

personally I didn't get all the way to the "spring", and I'm not sad about that. I needed to get back. so maybe had I planned a nice lunch and longer day I would have. I am not in shape but am tough, did it in 5.25 hours with a 20 min lunch break at the tunnel. I highly recommend getting past the bridge because there is a section you are walking the ridge and it's amazing. there is some up and down after the bridge. i tapped out before the last big drop into the canyon.start early. there are plenty of spots to find a scrap of shade and just pace yourself on the way out. hurry down, take pics on way back up when you need breaks anyway. hiking poles huge plus. too Sandy for chacos. I didn't drink any water on the way down, drank about 2 L on way out... most would probably drink 4.

Jared Nolan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 25, 2019
Hiking

I was glad to complete this hike and say that I completed it. The views on the way down were pretty amazing, but I was a little disappointed by the “Roaring Springs” at the bottom that was actually more like a trickling runoff. Also have to note the decent amount of Mule dung along the trail above Supai Tunnel.

Thal Wright
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 18, 2019
Hiking

great hike tough coming back up. pace yourself.

Ariella Wells
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 22, 2019
Hiking

amazing!!! beautiful hike! harder on way up for sure. be prepared for weather, rain or shine be sure to have plenty of water and snacks. we got snowed on, on our way up. inside the canyon was warmer than on rim. some of the water stops were shut off

David Mullins
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 18, 2019
Hiking

It’s a lot tougher on the way back! Spectacular views well worth the effort.

View David's Recording
Kelsey Woolf
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 14, 2019
Hiking

beautiful trail with endless views, didn't do the whole thing because i was doing trail maintenance but its at a higher elevation than the south rim so its much cooler but tons of flies! highly recommend!

Simon Guérard
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 23, 2018
Hiking

Going down the canyon is by far the best. The thing is that the north rim is so far, it's hard to reach. That's a good start. Know your limits, but I'd suggest going deeper, it gets much better

Kelly Steinbrunner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 13, 2018

Very challenging hike. Agree with others that there was lots of mule dung, but it didn’t really bother myself or my husband. However, we both grew up near farms in the country. The sand was difficult to hike up. Every aspect of the trail was beautiful. We especially liked the trail past the bridge because it was cliff side hiking which made it even more fun. The spring was a trickle and the restrooms were closed which was unfortunate. We both loved all parts of this trail. Wish we could have went further and camped.

Shasta Krueger
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 5, 2018

great views. leave early, the hike up is step and hot. mules dont go past the tunnel.

Keith Perry
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 24, 2018
Hiking

This trail wasn’t fun at all. There is a constant smell of mule crap and urine the whole way, basically you’re hiking on sand and in a petting zoo. I took someone’s recommendation and stopped at the tunnel and I’m really glad I did. The way back up is more difficult because of that sand but I wouldn’t say it any worse than moderate. The overwhelming stench from the mules is the biggest problem with this trail and I don’t feel like the views are worth it. It took me 87 minutes to go down to the tunnel, take a picture and then climb back up. Bottom line I would not recommend this trail.

Danielle Watson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 12, 2017

Completed June 11, 2017. Went all the way to Manzanita Rest Area and then back up to the North Rim. Joined by two backpackers who we picked up a few days before and became friends with. My longest day hike ever up until that point.

Ken Reiners
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 6, 2017

This is hard. Two groups of mule travelers I met going down and one group going up (hikers have to give way to the mule groups). The mules go as far as Supai tunnel and have turned the trail into soft powder plus manure and mule urine. Makes walking much harder than it otherwise would be. After Supai tunnel trail becomes firm. There never is any let up in terrain - you are either going down or climbing up. No places to catch your breath. The views are amazing but you better be in very good shape to go this far down the trail and back up as a day hike. Thought hike was harder than the distance and elevation gain would suggest. consumed 6 liters of water on this hike. You can refill at Supai tunnel.

Meghan Nieznanski
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 25, 2017

I went to the bridge and back, not to the camp. Great hike, not too crowded and be sure to watch out for the mule poo!!!