North Kaibab Trail to Roaring Springs

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(128)
Grand Canyon National Park

North Kaibab Trail to Roaring Springs is a 8.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near North Rim, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 8.4 miles Elevation Gain: 3,517 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Always remember, what goes down, must come back up. Hiked in late May, and the rim is a lot cooler than the canyon, though where we got too (just over 4 miles in) it was still comfortable.

Great long hike

As far as hiking goes, it's great. Nice workout. As far as views go, meh. So many better views in the park.

I have done the south rim and the north rim. And I will say that the south rim is better in terms of views. However the North rim barely had any people on the trail. There were times when I didnt see anyone for an hour (it was 30 degrees out and had snow on the ground so maybe that factored into it as well). It was nice not being stuck behind slow people on the trail and not hearing people talk about their stupid jobs or whatever. As for the hike, its beautiful of course, but the Roaring Rapids part is more of a bathroom stop. I would skip it and just go down an extra 30 to 45 mins to the river at the bottom. It's way more amazing down there. Only stop here at Roaring Rapids if you gotta take a dump or something, and actually the bathrooms were closed for the fall/winter when I was there.. so if you have to poop they might not even be open. the bathrooms down at the river should be open. I did the hike in 6 hrs 45 mins, with about 30 minute lunch break.

Loved this, very minimal dung but maybe I went at a lucky time? Definitely did not experience the overwhelming amounts stated in other reviews. Killer views, pretty steady incline/decline, one of my fav hikes of all time!

Go Early. We started at 5am and were able to see the sunrise. Great views on the way down. Hike can be strenuous going up. Definitely assess your fitness level. Glad I did it

personally I didn't get all the way to the "spring", and I'm not sad about that. I needed to get back. so maybe had I planned a nice lunch and longer day I would have. I am not in shape but am tough, did it in 5.25 hours with a 20 min lunch break at the tunnel. I highly recommend getting past the bridge because there is a section you are walking the ridge and it's amazing. there is some up and down after the bridge. i tapped out before the last big drop into the canyon.start early. there are plenty of spots to find a scrap of shade and just pace yourself on the way out. hurry down, take pics on way back up when you need breaks anyway. hiking poles huge plus. too Sandy for chacos. I didn't drink any water on the way down, drank about 2 L on way out... most would probably drink 4.

I was glad to complete this hike and say that I completed it. The views on the way down were pretty amazing, but I was a little disappointed by the “Roaring Springs” at the bottom that was actually more like a trickling runoff. Also have to note the decent amount of Mule dung along the trail above Supai Tunnel.

great hike tough coming back up. pace yourself.

Wed May 22 2019

amazing!!! beautiful hike! harder on way up for sure. be prepared for weather, rain or shine be sure to have plenty of water and snacks. we got snowed on, on our way up. inside the canyon was warmer than on rim. some of the water stops were shut off

It’s a lot tougher on the way back! Spectacular views well worth the effort.

Thu Mar 14 2019

beautiful trail with endless views, didn't do the whole thing because i was doing trail maintenance but its at a higher elevation than the south rim so its much cooler but tons of flies! highly recommend!

Tue Oct 23 2018

Going down the canyon is by far the best. The thing is that the north rim is so far, it's hard to reach. That's a good start. Know your limits, but I'd suggest going deeper, it gets much better

Thu Sep 13 2018

Very challenging hike. Agree with others that there was lots of mule dung, but it didn’t really bother myself or my husband. However, we both grew up near farms in the country. The sand was difficult to hike up. Every aspect of the trail was beautiful. We especially liked the trail past the bridge because it was cliff side hiking which made it even more fun. The spring was a trickle and the restrooms were closed which was unfortunate. We both loved all parts of this trail. Wish we could have went further and camped.

Sun Aug 05 2018

great views. leave early, the hike up is step and hot. mules dont go past the tunnel.

Sat Jul 14 2018

steep down, bring poles to save knees if doingrim to rim...glorious.

Sun Jun 24 2018

This trail wasn’t fun at all. There is a constant smell of mule crap and urine the whole way, basically you’re hiking on sand and in a petting zoo. I took someone’s recommendation and stopped at the tunnel and I’m really glad I did. The way back up is more difficult because of that sand but I wouldn’t say it any worse than moderate. The overwhelming stench from the mules is the biggest problem with this trail and I don’t feel like the views are worth it. It took me 87 minutes to go down to the tunnel, take a picture and then climb back up. Bottom line I would not recommend this trail.

Sun Nov 12 2017

Completed June 11, 2017. Went all the way to Manzanita Rest Area and then back up to the North Rim. Joined by two backpackers who we picked up a few days before and became friends with. My longest day hike ever up until that point.

Fri Oct 06 2017

This is hard. Two groups of mule travelers I met going down and one group going up (hikers have to give way to the mule groups). The mules go as far as Supai tunnel and have turned the trail into soft powder plus manure and mule urine. Makes walking much harder than it otherwise would be. After Supai tunnel trail becomes firm. There never is any let up in terrain - you are either going down or climbing up. No places to catch your breath. The views are amazing but you better be in very good shape to go this far down the trail and back up as a day hike. Thought hike was harder than the distance and elevation gain would suggest. consumed 6 liters of water on this hike. You can refill at Supai tunnel.

Mon Sep 25 2017

I went to the bridge and back, not to the camp. Great hike, not too crowded and be sure to watch out for the mule poo!!!

Mon Aug 14 2017

Just did this trail in early August - but I only went to Redwall Bridge as it was my second hike of the day and I didn't want to start back too late. It's pretty strenuous but a really nice way to get the vibe of the canyon, as opposed to wood trails and overlooks. One thing that you must know is that for the first mile, two miles, there is so much mule poop that it is occasionally overwhelming. Literally the whole length and width of the trail, for sections as long as 10-20meters, as completely covered in mule crap and urine. like literal cesspools. you will get muile crap on your shoes. you can not avoid it. when you're descending, you can kind of scamper past these sections quickly, but on the ascent back up, gasping for air from the elevation change, it's really unpleasant. Hard to dock a star from an otherwise amazing experience, but it was that bad.

Sat Jul 01 2017

It was a nice view of the canyon, but the roaring springs were a little underwhelming. The group expected something more from such a long hike. There was also so much mule poop! If I were to go again, I may just go right past Supai tunnel to where you can see the bridge and the canyon and come back.

Sun Jun 25 2017

I would rate this as difficult just because of the climb back up to the rim in hot weather. Great trail; took us a bit to find the water at Roaring Springs, someone yelled at us and we turned a hard right and walked further down to the bathroom area.

Sat Jun 24 2017

Such a beautiful way to see the Grand Canyon! Very special to be IN it instead of just observing from above. In my opinion, downhill can be the hardest, since there is so much control required, so it's nice to get that out of the way first. But man is the uphill a killer! Bring PLENTY of water, and snacks for a nice lunch break at one of the outlooks.

Sat Jun 24 2017

Views are good but there was way too much Mule poop everywhere to enjoy the hike! Maybe we went immediately right after the mule tour since there were a lot of steamy surprises

Mon Jun 12 2017

I started the hike early in the morning to avoid the heat and the mules (mules have right of way on the trail). Descending the canyon is easy and won't take much time. The canyon views are amazing. The falls at roaring springs were pretty but no drinking water was available on the day I hiked. Ascending the canyon was strenuous but I was lucky that the clouds provided ample shade that day. Definitely felt the altitude climbing up. Would highly recommend this trail.

Wed May 31 2017

Lovely way to get impressed by the immense Grand Canyon. Start really really early on warm days and take the return trip seriously: not only the heat and the endless steep climb, but also the altitude will get at you. Going down is really treacherously easy, and it's so beautiful that you'll want to round another bend again and again and again... Keep your head cool and stick to what you can physically accomplish. The waterfalls near Roaring Springs were impressive, very loud & large. There was NO drinking water at Roaring Springs (there was at Supai Tunnel however). On the trail from North Kaibab to Roaring Springs I nearly stepped on a large rattler, that was heating up on the trail. It's the very venomous Grand Canyon Rattlesnake, so keep your eyes open here.

Fri May 19 2017

Absolutely beautiful! A must do !!

Sun Apr 16 2017

Had a great time.

Wed Oct 05 2016

We got to see the beautiful fall colors. Going down the canyon was harder than going up. There was a spring fed drinking fountain and bathroom 1.7 miles in and another at the bottom. Lots of other hikers as well.