Newman Peak: Southeast Face

Newman Peak: Southeast Face is a 4 mile out and back trail located near Picacho, Arizona and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from September until May.

Challenging hike, spectacular vistas, remote location This rarely visited peak is located in a remote location in the Picacho Mountains. From your parking spot hike along the faint road until it dead ends at a firepit/campsite. If you have a four wheel drive vehicle, you may be able to drive to this location. This is the end of the trail and the rest of the route is cross country. The route to the summit follows the main gully that ends at the saddle between Newman Peak and the minor peak to the west. Follow the drainage up to the massive chockstone about 2/3 of the way up. From here head to the east, picking your way through cliff bands, boulders and cacti until you reach the summit. At the summit you will enjoy spectacular 360 degree views. From the summit of Newman Peak many mountain ranges are visible: Santa Catalinas, Silverbell Mountains, Tucson Mountains, Superstition Mountains,Tortolitas Mountains and Table Tops Mountains, to name just a few.

I was with Jason. We suck. Great views at the top, though. Be careful and smart with this one.

Like an idiot, I decided to "make my own trail" towards the top. Fortunately I made it to the top without any problems. My biggest mistake was thinking I could go back a different way. DO NOT EVER DO THIS! I had to turn around and go back uphill. Long story short. I ran out of water LONG before I was back to my vehicle. I had no more snacks either. Oh and my legs were cramping really bad. This hike was a lot of fun but I was an idiot! Thankfully I'm alive to tell the story. On a side not, I hope you have a 4 wheel drive vehicle. It was rugged terrain just getting to the "trail" (the trail is pretty much non existent). Best of luck to you!

Will do it again....

Awesome scrambles near the top. Every time you pass it on i10 you can say you sat on top of that pretty piece of rock. Go get after it.