New Hance Trail

New Hance Trail is a 13.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Grand Canyon, Arizona that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

beach

Directions from East Entrance Station: Drive westward along East Rim Drive to the Moran Point. Park your car at this pull off and walk, or bike, westward along East Rim Drive approximately 1 mile to the beginning of the trail.

Challenging trail with the steepness and loose gravel. Footing can be a dodgy so the descent requires some extra time planning and strategizing for safety. The descent is a bit quad-jellying and some scrambling is required. Trekking poles were helpful for balance. Trail can be difficult to follow, but pretty well marked with cairns if you pay close attention. Switchbacks are narrow. The ascent was actually easier than the way down (not as much issue with loose gravel/rocks and not as technical) and took the same amount of time for us (over 2 days). Some additional squat/lunge training probably would have made my hike more enjoyable/ recovery easier but as a first time Canyon hiker and backpacker, I'd say the trail was difficult and physically challenging, but doable. Definitely not as bad as my google searching led me to believe prior to the trip- hence this review!

I must say, comparing this trail to all other trails I have done, in GC it is the most difficult. I slid on the loose dirt/scree 8 times in the descent, which is unheard of since my shoes are made for trails and have great traction AND I was using poles. There was alot of boulder climbing, and a few areas with obscure perception re: how to stay on the trail. The climb is a 5180 foot elevation ascent, which I would not consider "moderate". There was ample shade on descent and ascent, gorgeous reward at the river, and beautiful and different views of the canyon. I would do it again but would advise other's to consider it a most difficult trail. For more details on this trail check out: http:home.znet.com/schester/grand_canyon/trails/
hance.html

This trail shouldn't be rated as Moderate, it's the most difficult trail in terms of steepness and loose rocks/scree I've been on yet in the GC. For a comparison, hiked Grandview 3 weeks earlier out and back. This hike is listed as steep and more difficult. In my opinion it's accurate, but not as difficult as New Hance. DO NOT underestimate this rating! We did this hike to the CO River and back the same day 4/29/17 in 11 total hours counting the time spent at the CO River. Four hours down, one hour at the river and six back up the ascent. It's worth every bit of sweat as the views are spectacular. The stillness and solitude are breathtaking, gives you the concept how very small we truly are compared to the natural surroundings. Preparation, fitness and hiking experience can't be stressed enough to truly enjoy this beautiful hike......

Sunday, January 25, 2015

Sunday, March 16, 2014

This us NOT an easy trail by any means!