New Hance Trail is a 13 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Grand Canyon, Arizona that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

Distance: 13.0 miles Elevation Gain: 4,944 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

Directions from East Entrance Station: Drive westward along East Rim Drive to the Moran Point. Park your car at this pull off and walk, or bike, westward along East Rim Drive approximately 1 mile to the beginning of the trail.

This trail is a bit more difficult but worth the views and the neat history of trails in the Grand Canyon. You get to pass a spring (mid hike water refill) and a closed off mine with some artifacts still present. This route takes you through some spectacular views forcing you to stop, take it in, and snap a few photos.

Beautiful scenery, didn’t see a single other person the entire day Route finding is essential as the trail is not very well marked and you can get cliffed out easily. Tons of loose rock the entire trail. It was July 16th,2019 it was 113 degrees at the bottom of the canyon, very little shade at parts and I alone drank over 2 gallons of water and still ran out, be prepared out there Wouldn’t recommend trying to go rim to river to rim all in one day unless you’re in extremely good shape and prepared

Wed May 08 2019

In my opinion, this trail is a means to an end. If you need it to get to or from the river, go for it. Otherwise, it is very challenging without the payoff of similar challenging trails very nearby. If you want tto hike down to the river and back, I’d go for the Tanner Trail instead. It’s much more beautiful. Main complaints- lots of vegetation over the trail, lots of off trail route finding, views that don’t compare to similar trails Completed on May 7th in 5h 12m Also, this trail is about 9 miles one way.

Fri May 03 2019

Wed Oct 17 2018

This was our 3rd day on our backpacking trip and assent. We started just above Papago Falls because we lost daylight and didn’t make it to Hance Rapids. It started raining just as we were packing up the tent and continued all day. I would have rated this a nicer hiker if it wasn’t for the weather. The trail was nice and gradual up the creek bed and then an uphill battle. I never felt any of the sections of the trail were dangerous even tho they looked it, it was pretty well marked with cairns. It started snowing heavily as we approached the rim which after being soaked from rain the snow killed our moral and made it difficult and dangerous to see the trail. It seemed like we would never make it to the top and were so happy to see the Trail marker. We parked on the side of the road near the trail head so it wasn’t a far walk out. This is a very difficult uphill do not underestimate the climb or the weather.

Fri Jan 26 2018

Wed May 03 2017

Challenging trail with the steepness and loose gravel. Footing can be a dodgy so the descent requires some extra time planning and strategizing for safety. The descent is a bit quad-jellying and some scrambling is required. Trekking poles were helpful for balance. Trail can be difficult to follow, but pretty well marked with cairns if you pay close attention. Switchbacks are narrow. The ascent was actually easier than the way down (not as much issue with loose gravel/rocks and not as technical) and took the same amount of time for us (over 2 days). Some additional squat/lunge training probably would have made my hike more enjoyable/ recovery easier but as a first time Canyon hiker and backpacker, I'd say the trail was difficult and physically challenging, but doable. Definitely not as bad as my google searching led me to believe prior to the trip- hence this review!

Tue May 02 2017

I must say, comparing this trail to all other trails I have done, in GC it is the most difficult. I slid on the loose dirt/scree 8 times in the descent, which is unheard of since my shoes are made for trails and have great traction AND I was using poles. There was alot of boulder climbing, and a few areas with obscure perception re: how to stay on the trail. The climb is a 5180 foot elevation ascent, which I would not consider "moderate". There was ample shade on descent and ascent, gorgeous reward at the river, and beautiful and different views of the canyon. I would do it again but would advise other's to consider it a most difficult trail. For more details on this trail check out: http:home.znet.com/schester/grand_canyon/trails/ hance.html

Tue May 02 2017

This trail shouldn't be rated as Moderate, it's the most difficult trail in terms of steepness and loose rocks/scree I've been on yet in the GC. For a comparison, hiked Grandview 3 weeks earlier out and back. This hike is listed as steep and more difficult. In my opinion it's accurate, but not as difficult as New Hance. DO NOT underestimate this rating! We did this hike to the CO River and back the same day 4/29/17 in 11 total hours counting the time spent at the CO River. Four hours down, one hour at the river and six back up the ascent. It's worth every bit of sweat as the views are spectacular. The stillness and solitude are breathtaking, gives you the concept how very small we truly are compared to the natural surroundings. Preparation, fitness and hiking experience can't be stressed enough to truly enjoy this beautiful hike......

Sun Mar 16 2014

This us NOT an easy trail by any means!

Sat May 05 2018